1952 Siata Daina Coupe - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I was at the Bonhams auction at Goodwood this afternoon. The (now ex-) Fyshe Siata Daina made £66,000 sterling, which means it achieved the lowest estimate when the buyer's premium is added.
How much was the buyers premium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 156 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 PM

How much was the buyers premium
post #93 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 AM

No. SL 0281B is in Germany and the next week goes to Prague.

Nr. SL 0281B ist in Deutschland und die nächste Woche geht nach Prag.

Here you have the unique opportunity to purchase by auction one of the rarest racing cars of the 50`s. This vehicle is also eligible for the Mille Miglia, Carrera Panamericana, Monterey and so one. The Siata has a new, handcrafted body shell, a new Abarth carburator, Fuel tank, new rebuild original instruments,new alloy cylinder head, new pistons and many other new engine parts, brake parts also brand new badges. The front axle is new old stock. The car comes mostly complete, only the seats are missing.
The ideal project for an easy and fast restauration.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 PM

Siata SL*0281*B

Good News Jiri! Congratulations.

I spent some time today and located the 1964-65 titled owner and he has shared the name of the "original USA owner" who sold it to him. It took about three hours of sleuthing to find him ... I think. I hope! I've left a message on what should be his machine. Hopefully we will learn more shortly?

Good news indeed! I had a call back from the original USA owner who purchased it in Italy circa 1956 (perhaps early 1957?) near Vicenza after it had been "crashed in a race". It came from an American civilian who was working for the U.S. Army at the time. His name was "Mark Messina" and he was apparently returning to the States at the time, hence the reason for selling. Now we have more searching to do. But we are now much closer to the probable 1952/53 origins of the chassis number & original sale.

John

Last edited by iicarJohn; 02-28-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: News and more news = correction(s)
post #95 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:44 AM

John, I thank to you for all information.
post #96 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintautomobilia View Post
John,

I apologize, I should know better than making any statement that a Siata (or any limited production Italian car from a small company) has to be a particular way to be correct. I better than most, certainly know that differences can exist from car to car, especially in the "etceterinis" we have loved for so many years.

To answer your question, I have owned 6 or 7 Siata Daina cars. One Daina 1400 berlinetta, one Daina 1800 berlinetta (which I still own), and four or five Gran Sports. These include at least three early chassis cars (one of which was a one-off Motto aluminum bodied spider, and two later chassis Gran Sports. You are correct, I did own SL*0244B*, but I think it was later than 1968 - after I moved to California in 1978.

I sold the yellow Gran Sport with the Volvo motor while I still lived in the East Lansing, Michigan area - sometime in the mid-1960's I think. I can't remember if it was a B16 or B18, and I don't remember it as being dry sumped. I can't remember who I sold it to - I was a college student then and also owned a sports car garage, so a lot of cars came and went.

As for current prices, a dealer in the Netherlands has a Gran Sport now that needs to be restored - the body work appears to be done - and he has it priced at 88,000 Euros - about $137,000 at today's rate of exchange. I think the day of the $80K Siata Daina Gran Sport may be limited. Of course, if one has enough money, one could spend $1.4 million for a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible. I would not!

I loved my Siata cars, and I'm sorry I never had enough money to keep them all.

All the best,

Peter Zobian
Peter,

My father purchased SL 0244 from you in 1968 missing the original motor, but with, I believe, motor # SL 0242. We picked it up in Lansing over Thanksgiving weekend. I am not sure of the timing, but he sold it back to you with a 1438 twin cam in it at the same time as the 1900 Alfas (1987?) He misplaced the title and had to get a duplicate. I know the serial number as the original title was found a few years later.

The 1400 motor went, sometime in the 70s, to one of my father's contacts who had a Diana coupe and possibly 208. For some reason I think it was shipped to Minnesota or Wisconsin.

With the knowledge base, I may be way off and there were probably more than one 1400 fitted with a Ford 289, but the car at the beginning of this thread looks alot like the car that was in the original Love Bug. I saw the car in ~1970 in the LA area and remember the motor installation was clean, at least for the time, and it had the shorter windshield.

Bruce Sackron
post #97 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintautomobilia View Post
John,

I apologize, I should know better than making any statement that a Siata (or any limited production Italian car from a small company) has to be a particular way to be correct. I better than most, certainly know that differences can exist from car to car, especially in the "etceterinis" we have loved for so many years.

To answer your question, I have owned 6 or 7 Siata Daina cars. One Daina 1400 berlinetta, one Daina 1800 berlinetta (which I still own), and four or five Gran Sports. These include at least three early chassis cars (one of which was a one-off Motto aluminum bodied spider, and two later chassis Gran Sports. You are correct, I did own SL*0244B*, but I think it was later than 1968 - after I moved to California in 1978.

I sold the yellow Gran Sport with the Volvo motor while I still lived in the East Lansing, Michigan area - sometime in the mid-1960's I think. I can't remember if it was a B16 or B18, and I don't remember it as being dry sumped. I can't remember who I sold it to - I was a college student then and also owned a sports car garage, so a lot of cars came and went.

As for current prices, a dealer in the Netherlands has a Gran Sport now that needs to be restored - the body work appears to be done - and he has it priced at 88,000 Euros - about $137,000 at today's rate of exchange. I think the day of the $80K Siata Daina Gran Sport may be limited. Of course, if one has enough money, one could spend $1.4 million for a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda convertible. I would not!

I loved my Siata cars, and I'm sorry I never had enough money to keep them all.

All the best,

Peter Zobian
Peter,

My father purchased SL 0244 from you in 1968 missing the original motor, but with, I believe, motor # SL 0242. We picked it up in Lansing over Thanksgiving weekend. I am not sure of the timing, but he sold it back to you with a 1438 twin cam in it at the same time as the 1900 Alfas (1987?) He misplaced the title and had to get a duplicate. I know the serial number as the original title was found a few years later.

The 1400 motor went, sometime in the 70s, to one of my father's contacts who had a Diana coupe and possibly 208. For some reason I think it was shipped to Minnesota or Wisconsin.

With the knowledge base, I may be way off and there were probably more than one 1400 fitted with a Ford 289, but the car at the beginning of this thread looks alot like the car that was in the original Love Bug. I saw the car in ~1970 in the LA area and remember the motor installation was clean, at least for the time, and it had the shorter windshield.

Bruce Sackron
post #98 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 03:33 PM

Bruce Sacron,

I was very saddened to hear that your father passed away. He was a very nice person and we both loved the same kind of cars - with a passion!

Now I recall that I sold him my Siata Daina Gran Sport SL 0244, and you must be correct about the 1968 date. Perhaps I got confused about the date because I bought it back from him some time in the 1980s.

Motor #SL 0242 was sold by your dad to Myron Cottrel in Minnesota (I think). I later bought that motor back also, and I'll check, but I believe I still have it today. Myron did have a 208 with a Ford motor and a Daina 1400 coupe by Stabilimenti Farina - which I later owned also.

I still have my Siata Daina 1800 coupe by Stab. Farina. It's still totally unrestored but very complete except for the bumpers. These were the pretty aluminum ones painted the same color as the body, with polished accents. Very similar to the bumpers on the early Cisitalia 202 coupes.

All the best,

Peter Zobian
post #99 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM

I just found SL 0172, a Daina convertible, in Maine, about 2 hours from Bangor into the boonies. It is 95% there but needs total restoration. I am buying the car and paying for the restoration on a pay as you go basis. This car is the one that looks like a coupe with the roof cut off, and is NOT a Gran sport.

Peter Zobian now has his Daina coupe 1800 for sale (one of only 3 built with the 1800). I am brokering the car for him. The asking price is $85K, but is negotiable. The car is 98% there, but needs total restoration.

If interested, PM me...as I might consider selling the convertible "as is"; before the restoration begins...

Last edited by dretceterini; 07-25-2009 at 06:26 AM.
post #100 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Hello,
sorry to hijack this thread, but I am selling a Siata Daina convertable, serial # SL 0172.
If interested, please pm me as soon as possible.
Thank you for your consideration,
Glenn
HMA

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #101 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
Hello,
sorry to hijack this thread, but I am selling a Siata Daina convertable, serial # SL 0172.
If interested, please pm me as soon as possible.
Thank you for your consideration,
Glenn
HMA
Glenn, it's not a Hi-jack given that Stu claimed in the post immediately preceding yours that he's buying the car and is paying for its restoration on a pay-as-you-go basis. Would you mind posting some pictures?

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #102 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 02:11 PM

A couple photos. Been calling around, seems to be a lot of interest, am giving a gent in LA a day to get back to me. Great car, would love to have had the chance to restore it.
Attached Images

43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
post #103 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:01 PM

The car is sold. Thank you.

post #104 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:22 PM

A real hijack? "Poor-man's Cisitalia" ... or Siata?

OK. This may not be appropriate, but there is a tie-in. Honest!

Some sense of desperation is settling in for me to "simplify". I've had this for more than 20 years and haven't done anything with it other than replace a really bad tire so that it will roll. I am offering a modified Simca 8 Sport coupe (perhaps sold and/or raced at some point as a "Simca 9"?) that was fitted for a time with a Siata Daina Gran Sport engine ... but no longer. now without engine or gearbox or seats. Much cheaper than the Siata Daina cabriolet just "sold" here. Also less complete and less original. Wanna see some photos? If so, where should I post them?
post #105 of 156 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
Wanna see some photos? If so, where should I post them?
Sure. Please post them here or in a new thread.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode