1952 Siata Daina Coupe - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM

daina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintautomobilia View Post
If this is the car in Argentina, I do know about it. When I say "about" eight known, the actual number might be eight or it might be ten. Or a totally unknown car, or cars, could appear tomorrow. It is amazing that really rare cars thought to be lost for years are still are coming out of the garages and barns all over the world.

Peter Zobian
SL0139 is in Uruguay for sale with a wrong front.. 20000 usd

Ferrari 330GT2+2 series 1, Fiat 1100SMM Pinin Farina,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:53 AM

You have probably seen this already Siata Daina Gran Sport for sale on eBay, VIN SL*217.

What is the price differential compared with an original engine car on those?

This one stands at $80k right now.

eBay Motors: Other Makes (item 220229915329 end time May-09-08 17:17:47 PDT)
Attached Images

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #33 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
You have probably seen this already Siata Daina Gran Sport for sale on eBay, VIN SL*217.

What is the price differential compared with an original engine car on those?
This one stands at $80k right now.
Apparently there's not much of a differential; a concours-quality original shouldn't be much over $80K. Maybe the increased power and usability of the Alfa twink is offsetting the lack of the original 1400 Fiat.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:11 PM

SIATA Daina

I would say that you are way low. A concours restoration of an all original Siata Daina Gran Sport should bring around twice that $80K figure, or perhaps even more.
post #35 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:16 PM

adriaansens book

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoekman View Post
Does not Tony Adriaensens Fiat 8V book contain some Siata info, even on the Daina? I only wish I had the money to buy a copy...
I have it in front of me. But it really just mentions them on the way to the 8V Siatas..
Nik

post #36 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 PM

whats wrong

Something looks wrong with ebay siata?.. Something wrong with the wheels is it?.. Seats wrong too? What are opinions on that car?
Nik

post #37 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM

Siata Gran Sport

The wheels may be correct (it's hard to tell), but the hubcaps are incorrect and the tires are too wide. The seats look correct also, but appear to be somewhat over-stuffed. The location of the rear license plate is incorrect. Saying that, the installation of a 2-liter Alfa motor and 5-speed gearbox would be a very nice fit in a Gran Sport. In my opinion, much better than an American V8 (although the small aluminum Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile V8 motor of the early 1960s would be nice fit also).
post #38 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:50 PM

So looking qiute cheap right now isnt it... HMM

post #39 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM

siata

This one looks correct.. Mille Miglia 2004
Attached Images

post #40 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 02:58 PM

Siata Gran Sport

There is no reserve on the eBay auction this time for this Gran Sport, so evidently the buyer and seller are happy with the price. The car should be a fun driver.

Peter Zobian
post #41 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:05 PM

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that the car on eBay has the wrong (or no) headlamp rims. The car in the 1994 Mille Miglia photo has the correct headlight rims. Also you can see how most (if not all) of the Gran Sports were originally painted in two-tone paint jobs. I think they look better with the two-tone paint.

Peter Zobian
post #42 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM

Siata Daina Gran Sport N. SL0217

The same car was offered on eBay last month and I sent a few corrections to the descriptive text. The text has been improved now but still has a couple of errors, particularly to the expansion of SIATA = Societa Italiana Auto Trasfomazione Accessori. I was out of town for the close last month and failed to pay attention to what the car was bid to. I guess it did not sell or the buyer failed to follow through?

It should be mentioned that this is a car from the early portion of the series and has a distinct difference from the later production that was more plentiful ... which is not to say "common" at all. It is probably a case of "beauty and the eye of the beholder" as to which you might find more appealing. Shortly after SL*0217 was made, there was a design change to move the engine rearward, behind the front cross-member (rather than over it) and this both lowered the center of gravity and moved the engine mass to a better location from a balance standpoint. Externally, the engine move was accompanied by a change in the sheet metal above and behind the grille opening. This car has about 3-4 inches (75-100mm) between the grille opening and the forward edge of the bonnet. The car in Nik's MM2004 photo is from a later part of production as the bonnet opening starts about 10-14 inches (250-350mm) behind the grille. The chassis number is another clue as the later cars have a "B" suffix that this car does not.

The dry-sumped Volvo (B16) engine history (as discoverd 1974) may indicate history traceable back to 1966? A car was offered out of Ohio (Road and Track, September 1966) as "1952 Siata Daina Gran Sport - Volvo". Earlier history may be difficult or easy to find? Or we may find that there was more than one Siata-Volvo. But, we already know that there was more than one!

The Buick-Olds-Pontiac alloy 215 was once a reasonable alternative to heavier V8 engines but I think that there are many better options today. Many of them are simply more modern 4-cylinder engines of almost any maker or type between 1.5 and 2.4 liters. However, only one configuration is truly original and that is the form in which the car is likely to be accepted to most events in the world that are open to such cars. And this is not in that configuration. But, you're not going to get into the London-Brighton in any case! Depends on what you want out of the car. The Alfa is probably fine (improved even) from a driving standpoint, and the rest of the car should be up to the performance potential ... with the oversize tires, but it is really no better than many other alternatives ... if this was not the Alfa BB.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry
post #43 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM

This is another Daina with bodywork of uncertain origin, (was?) owned by a UK-based collector of Nik's aquaintance . It used to live only about 10 miles from me, in storage under a dust sheet. I've sat in it but no more than that. Certainly, my impression of the restoration was that it was near-perfect. This car was also featured in Auto Italia magazine several years ago, much better photos and more detailed information can be found there, if anyone has a copy.

Alex.
Attached Images

post #44 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 PM

Siata Gran Sport - early vs. late

Some earlier Gran Sport cars did not have the same headlight trim detail as the MM2004 car (Nik's photo) referred to by Peter. My father had SL*0211 and I've worked on other Stabilimenti Farina cars that had a different style of headlamp ring that seemed more hand-formed (not stamped and then hand-fitted) than was done later. This is another example of why it can be very important to a car's true provenance to learn from other similar cars but not necessarily take every "lesson" too literally.
post #45 of 156 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 03:52 PM

In 1962 or thereabouts, I bought my first Siata Gran Sport in Lansing, Michigan (USA) and it had a Volvo motor. In fact, I bought it at a Volvo Garage. The garage owners name was Bruce. I don't remember his last name but he later raced AC Cobra cars and was fairly famous - at least in the midwest (I think he helped close down the races at Put-In-Bay, Ohio). I can not remember the chassis number of the Siata. It was yellow.

Peter Zobian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode