1952 Siata Daina Coupe - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:25 AM

I found my extra copy of the Fornai Siata book. If anyone wants it, they can have it for $30 including the post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 11:17 PM

1952 Siata Daina Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiataCoupe View Post
Yup. I think 12 were made and 3 or 4 are left that I know of. Any idea what something like this might be worth and how I would best go about selling it? Christies? Hemmings? Ad in Podunk, Iowa Daily Observer?
Why don't you post some pictures of your Siata and instead of a price put "accepting offers"? AlfaBB has quite a following and you might get very quickly a feel for the market value and level of interest for your car, without spending any money or making and commitments...
post #18 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 AM

I believe the car, if totally restored, is worth $150,000+

Please give me the S/N by e-mail or PM and I just might have something on the history of the car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 03:19 PM

Siata Daina "Sport"

The most consistent reference to this coupe body style is "Sport" or "Daina Sport" and this is the moniker that I use even though I rather think that the "Sport" moniker was originally intended to reflect the 1500cc engine variation over the more common 1400. Thus far, the "Daina Sport" chassis number range, intermingled with "Gran Sport" cars late in the Daina series, runs from SL*0274*B to SL*0330*(suffix letter not yet known). There are some interesting and important variations.

One early car, prepared for the Mille Miglia, has an impressive wiring system and what amounts to duplicate charging, lighting and ignition systems so that a quick switch can be made should one fail.

There probably were a few more, but five cars are identified that were bodied by Stabilimenti Farina. When Stabilimenti Farina closed their doors late in 1952, production of this body style passed to Bertone who gave it their own design/tracking number "51". Body No. 5101 is on chassis SL*0319*B. SL*0320*B has yet to supply its number and then SL*0322*B is body N. 5104. Body No. 5106 is SL*0324*C and this "highest" number tells us that at least six cars were bodied in this style by Bertone. There could well be others that are higher. SL*0330 is said to be by Stabilimenti Farina but that seems unlikely. One day, I hope that a body number will be found that will tell us who built the body and when in the coachbuilder's sequence.

The link referred to earlier shows a photo of SL*0322*B as near as I can tell. My father owned it for many years and I did some rust repair but never had the time to do it all.

I do not believe that we have identified all of the Stabilimenti Farina cars. There certainly are at least three "missing" Bertone variations ... unless SL*0330 turns out to be one of those. All in all, a very rare and desirable car. Pleasant and capable. Outstanding handling, partly because the engine had not enough suds to overpower the chassis.

Don't know why these discussions seem to degenerate to discussions of value. Even 25 years ago, oldtimers would say that it didn't used to be that way. Value? Very difficult to say. More than U.S. $50k and something under a half-million would be a fair estimate. Depends a bit on money's value to you. But not just to you. Today's world gives us a much more unified playing field informationwise, so often it is no longer just your own sense of "value" that is at play. That is one reason why auctions often work so well ... for sellers.
post #20 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Marreyt Classics in Belgium has this '52 Daina Gran Sport for sale, newly arrived from the US. Part of the deal appears to be that they will have it restored for you. No price, no numbers.

They also have a Vignale-bodied SIATA 1100TV from 1954 in stock.
Attached Images

post #21 of 156 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:34 AM

Siata Gran Sport of Marreyt

Thanks for sharing.

I don't yet know the chassis number (or the Stabilimenti Farina body number) of the car on offer from Marreyt, although I have seen a photo before. It will have a "B" suffix to the chassis number I am quite sure. Anyone know if it still has its original engine?

The two sample photos, however are the following cars:

#259 on MM 1952 is SL*0293*B

The car at Watkins Glen 1952 is almost certainly SL*0251*B. It has a distinctive grille that I saw in the 1970's. I liked it and copied it for my father's SL*0280*B as it's grille had been replaced with something pretty awful which had partially rusted away. Unfortunately, the car is now long gone to other owners. I've since found a photo or two of what I think was probably SL*0280*B with its original grille that is quite typical, like SL*0293*B.

All the best.

John de Boer
post #22 of 156 (permalink) Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

I need to confirm this as the car is on the other side of the ocean from me at the moment, but it looks like we have SL*0319*B. It is fully restored and I hope to get photos soon.
post #23 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post

Don't know why these discussions seem to degenerate to discussions of value. Even 25 years ago, oldtimers would say that it didn't used to be that way. Value? Very difficult to say. More than U.S. $50k and something under a half-million would be a fair estimate. Depends a bit on money's value to you. But not just to you. Today's world gives us a much more unified playing field informationwise, so often it is no longer just your own sense of "value" that is at play. That is one reason why auctions often work so well ... for sellers.
I agree with John. We talk way too much about money. Nothing has any value at all until someone is willing to pay for it.

The Koch Daina 1400 Stabilimenti Farina berlinetta in Germany is SL*190*, and when I sold it to them it was an original all matching number car with only 18,000 miles from new. It did need a complete restoration but it still had its original motor SL*190* and was one of only 8 or 10 known to exist. Why they restored the car with a late-model Fiat 124 twin-cam motor is beyond me!?

Peter Zobian
post #24 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM

Siata Daina SL0190 and Gran Sport SL0244B

Hmmm.

Peter, I think you sold SL0190 to Pit Lindner? He owned a Gran Sport as well that had been fitted, previous to his ownership, with Fiat 124 engine. I wonder if he now has a Gran Sport SL*0244*B fitted with engine SL0190?
post #25 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:12 PM

I wonder also. In my opinion that would be really stupid. To ruin an original all numbers matching Daina coupe and end up having two mis-matched cars. Added to that, the Stabilimenti Farina coupe, with only about eight known, is scarcer than a Gran Sport. What a shame!

Peter Zobian
post #26 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiataCoupe View Post
I am looking for other owners of this model (1952 Siata Daina Coupe) as I have one in fully-restored condition. It is nearly impossible to find out much about this as so few were made.

Anyone got one?
Sorry for not responding earlier. Daniel Cytryonwicz (he of the 2600 Berlina) mentioned having a Siata Daina, but it may be a spider rather than a coupe. He's contactable through Ebay (his Ebay name is Unrepentant).

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)
post #27 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:05 AM

Is the follwing 1950 Stabilimenti Farina Coupe one of the only eight known cars?
It ought to be SLO 139.

Peter
Attached Images

post #28 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:31 PM

If this is the car in Argentina, I do know about it. When I say "about" eight known, the actual number might be eight or it might be ten. Or a totally unknown car, or cars, could appear tomorrow. It is amazing that really rare cars thought to be lost for years are still are coming out of the garages and barns all over the world.

Peter Zobian
post #29 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 PM

Siata Daina Stabilimenti Farina Berlinetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter L View Post
Is the follwing 1950 Stabilimenti Farina Coupe one of the only eight known cars?
It ought to be SLO 139.

Peter
By the way, that chassis number should actually read SL 0139, with a "zero" not an "O". A typo perhaps?

Peter Zobian
post #30 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:37 PM

Siata Daina ... once again ... NOT "Diana" - Part 1

Here is a bare-bones listing of the cars that are known to exist. As an introduction, I will acknowledge that I've collected chassis number data on six additional Daina "coupe" that I tend to call "berlinetta" as the technical definition of a "coupe" includes the so-called "notchback" styling feature. I've also gathered some data on one additional cabriolet by chassis number and have many additional anecdotal snippets about dozens of additional cars that are described to varying degrees .... but not yet by chassis number.

It is important to acknowledge that, contrary to what many websites say or imply today, the chassis was not by Fiat but was a custom box-section design that was made by Siata. There is a chance that Siata used an outside supplier for some of the chassis production. The chassis was designed and built to allow the use of a large number of standard Fiat parts including the front cross-member that was bolted into place on both Siata Daina and the "parent" Fiat 1400.

The following cars are known to exist today. Some of the numbers listed are engines that are no longer with the original car and thus the car's original description is unknown. I am sure that there are more cars and engines remaining to be found and identified today.

SL*0102* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0121* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0139* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0158* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0168* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0170* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0172* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0177* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina (accidently omitted previously)
SL*0181* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0188* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0190* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0191* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0194* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0198* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0200* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0201*S berlinetta fuoriserie (perhaps Vignale?)
SL*0202* cabriolet Stabilimenti Farina
SL*0204* berlinetta Stabilimenti Farina

There are additional cars that are known today but which have not yet been identified as to chassis number.

There is also a Motto-bodied spider that appears to have been built on an early-type Daina chassis but the chassis number is not yet identified. It seems the chassis number was removed during an engine change. It was purchased a number of years ago by Peter Zobian but little is known of its history. Peter sold it and it went to Italy where it has been reported as bearing a chassis number that seems unlikely to be correct. Actually, it has been reported with three different chassis numbers over the years but two of those numbers seemingly cannot be correct for the chassis.

Sometime after chassis CSL*0204, production seems to have shifted to the Daina spider "Gran Sport" version, but it is possible that there was some overlap that is not yet revealed by the cars we know today. The earliest "Gran Sport" cars had platform chassis rather similar to the Daina cars in that the engine sat directly above the front cross-member that held the Fiat suspension in place.

SL*0208 spider Gran Sport
SL*0209 (engine only)
SL*0210 spider Gran Sport
SL*0211 spider Gran Sport
SL*0212 spider Gran Sport
SL*0214 spider Gran Sport
SL*0215 (engine only)
SL*0216 spider Gran Sport
SL*0217 spider Gran Sport
SL*0221 (engine only) ... may have been only an engine and no chassis?

After this point, there was a design change to the chassis, the most notable characteristic being that the engine was moved to rear a bit in order to help "balance" and handling characteristics. These cars were marked with a "B" suffix to the chassis number and later a "C" suffix whose meaning is yet to be revealed.

To be continued ...

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Last edited by iicarJohn; 12-18-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added known cars to listing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode