Fiat 1500 cabriolet owners manual and questions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Fiat 1500 cabriolet owners manual and questions

Hi, does anyone know where I can get a copy of a 1966 Fiat 1500 cabriolet owners manual?

If that is not possible can someone answer a few basic questions please:

1. On the left side of the dash there is one toggle switch which in my car turns on the lights, there are 3 white lights, one turns on when the lights are on, and 2 are for the turn signals, and there is a red warning light that in my car seems to do nothing. Is what I'm describing correct? And what is the red light for? Pic attached

2. Under the rev counter to the right there is another toggle switch that seems to activate the hazard flashers. Is this correct? Pic attached

3. Under the dash there are 4 additional toggle switches, from left to right: Windshield wipers, instrument lights, ventilation or heater motor and the fourth one does nothing. Is the order of these correct? What is the last switch for? Is the third switch for vent or heater motor?

4. Finally, I need help attaching the hard top, I know how to attach it to the windshield but I can't seem to find a way to attach it from the back. I have attached a picture of the stainless part currently attached to the car behind the soft top base

Thanks
Attached Images

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 AM

presuming Fiat is like an alfa spider, I'd say the 2 short chrome strips presently on the car need to be removed, then replaced with special hardtop hooks....something like this (note I am not sure if these are correct, but they certainly look possible...call the guys and ask)

Like the alfa spiders too, there are probably some form of J-hooks on the sides (can't imagine just front and rear catches, tbh.)

Fiat Parts and Supplies

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
presuming Fiat is like an alfa spider, I'd say the 2 short chrome strips presently on the car need to be removed, then replaced with special hardtop hooks....something like this (note I am not sure if these are correct, but they certainly look possible...call the guys and ask)

Like the alfa spiders too, there are probably some form of J-hooks on the sides (can't imagine just front and rear catches, tbh.)

Fiat Parts and Supplies
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 AM

He is correct, you need to remove the chrome and replace with the hardware that comes (hopefully) with the top.
I'll find out about the switches.
Try Fiat Parts and Supplies He always had all parts I needed (it never needed much) and might have reproduction owners manuals.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
He is correct, you need to remove the chrome and replace with the hardware that comes (hopefully) with the top.
I'll find out about the switches.
Try Fiat Parts and Supplies He always had all parts I needed (it never needed much) and might have reproduction owners manuals.
Thanks, I do believe I need the extra hardware for the hard top (which unfortunately was not included), but I talked to Chris Obert and he will be supplying me with what apparently is the correct piece...

Henry
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 09:05 AM

The red light is an overheat light. Yes it has a gauge but if it goes in the red the light also comes on.
The four switches, left to right.
1. Windshield wiper
2. Instrument panel lights
3. Heater fan
4. Memory is not perfect but I believe it's the interior light. Curtsey light.

The dash lights on left, did you know their brightness can be adjusted by turning the light it's self?
I did not have the one closest to the speedo nor the one below the tachometer so it's possible that's for a hazard circuit.

I remember now the top had structural mounts that bolted on place of the chrome and then had a separate crome trim piece that went over that.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
The red light is an overheat light. Yes it has a gauge but if it goes in the red the light also comes on.
The four switches, left to right.
1. Windshield wiper
2. Instrument panel lights
3. Heater fan
4. Memory is not perfect but I believe it's the interior light. Curtsey light.

The dash lights on left, did you know their brightness can be adjusted by turning the light it's self?
I did not have the one closest to the speedo nor the one below the tachometer so it's possible that's for a hazard circuit.

I remember now the top had structural mounts that bolted on place of the chrome and then had a separate crome trim piece that went over that.
Thanks, you've been most helpful. The ones you are missing are indeed wired for a hazard lights in my car. And I have see at least one more car with that switch.

Henry
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Thanks, you've been most helpful. The ones you are missing are indeed wired for a hazard lights in my car. And I have see at least one more car with that switch.
A maybe the difference in one model year, mine was a 64.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:07 PM

Just saw your pics. Beautiful. I have a 66 1500, but not nearly as nice. Chris Obert at Fiat Plus can make a photocopy of the owners manual. Also technical manuals, like the parts book. He has parts and restoration shop dedicated to Fiats. His phone number is 1 831 423 0218.

I want to know how to join in this discussion group.
I don't see any join option.

Also, what size tires are on your car? The originals may have been 5.20-14. I do not know the modern size.
Thanks
Bruce Thielking
[email protected]
905 871 0121
In Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthielking View Post
Just saw your pics. Beautiful. I have a 66 1500, but not nearly as nice. Chris Obert at Fiat Plus can make a photocopy of the owners manual. Also technical manuals, like the parts book. He has parts and restoration shop dedicated to Fiats. His phone number is 1 831 423 0218.

I want to know how to join in this discussion group.
I don't see any join option.

Also, what size tires are on your car? The originals may have been 5.20-14. I do not know the modern size.
Thanks
Bruce Thielking
[email protected]
905 871 0121
Hi Bruce,

I will contact Chris, I have bought from him in the past, thanks.

The tires in that picture were 185 70 -14, that have been replaced by 165 70 14, the 185s were too wide for the rims and car felt terrible going down the road.

I go to the Niagara Falls /Fort Erie area on business 3 to 4 times a year, I hope to be there in about a month, maybe you can show me your car.

I don't understand your question on the discussion group though.

Take Care

Henry
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bthielking View Post

Thanks
Bruce Thielking
[email protected]
905 871 0121
The original tire size was 145/14. My car had Michelin X tires in that size

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 11:51 AM

Hazard flashes weren't available in Italy in 1966. The period road rules didn't provide for by law.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode