Moving to Naples - Looking for Beater Ferrari, Maserati, or Lamborghini! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletpruf View Post
Fellas -

I'm active duty US Army, currently stationed in Seoul, SK. Moving to Italy (Naples) at the end of June. We're taking the wife's car over - 2013 Infiniti SUV - so we'll have something reliable for road trips. Wife is ok with me buying an older Italian car for commuting, wrenching, etc. Would like to buy something 25 years old or older so I can bring it back to the states after my tour.

My budget is $30k US, but wouldn't like to spend that much. Will have funds to sink into a car, if necessary. Won't have to take out a loan if I blow up an engine.

Plan to live in a gated parco (subdivision) with a garage. Have an extensive collection of tools, and can do just about any mechanical job, including rebuilding engines, transmissions, etc.

Here's what I'm interested in -

-Alfa GTV 1750/2000 (late 60's early 70's). Looks like I can get a pretty nice one for about $20k US. No shortage of these on subito.it

-Fiat Dino Coupe 2000/2400. About $25k for a nice coupe; the Spiders are way out of reach.

-Sunbeam Tiger. Pretty rare in Europe, but may be able to find one in my price range. Could also buy an Alpine and drop in a SBF, but that's a fair amount of work. Far from a bolt-in.

-Ferrari/Dino 308 GT4. Price starting to climb, but can still be found for around $30k.

-Alfa Montreal - Out of my price range unless I buy a complete beater.

-Lamborghini Urraco - Rare, but could possibly find one in my price range. Probably a dumb move - likely unreliable, tough to find parts for.

-Maserati Merak - Would be another dumb move but may be able to find one in my price range.

-Lancia Delta Integrale HF - Will probably end up with one of these if I decide to buy a later model car.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Scott
Hi Scott. You should try a website in Italy called Auto Usate in Italia - Offerte Macchine Usato - AutoScout24. Lots of Italian cars and you can chose the area you want to buy a car. Cheers

1970 Giulia Super 1600,1975 2000GTV Automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Autoscout is great... I found you a Lamborghini well within your budget. Should be a reliable one as well.

I only found a handful of Mondials below 30,000 yurros. 40,000 brings a 348. Any other Ferrari is more. Perhaps you should get a 308 in the US, run it during your stay and sell it when you leave Italy.... they say driving a Ferrari in Italy makes you feel like being the Pope for a day. (Which means some people will hate you as well)

No other Lambo, but the Maseratis suggested by Jim seem to be a dime a dozen. Worth thinking about...

NSX???

Last edited by yvesmontreal; 04-26-2015 at 04:59 PM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 PM

I have driven a 424 and was given a ride in a Ghibli with increased boost... Amazing cars! As for their engines, they are jewels: V6, 4 cams, 24v, efi, 2 turbos. Exceptional features: 6-speed (for Ghibli), Torsen diff and electrically adjustable suspension firmness at the press of a button! Just as a point of curiosity, if you ever get the chance check out the liners! They are pieces of sculpture! I don't know if these cars were ever available in the US -a real pity and loss to classy performance car lovers!
I never worked on these 2liter V6's but was once associated with a Maser repair shop and had the opportunity to study these jewels up close. Then, as if the 2liter lumps are not enough, there are the 2.8liter variants...
Jim K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvico View Post
You should have no trouble finding a nice car for under 15k euros. A newer 1990-2000's Alfa Spider or GT, Fiat Barchetta or Spider. In Naples I would stay away from the exotics. Naples is like Detroit of Italy lots of thieves!
I'm sure they are nice cars, but none of them appeal to me.

Thanks

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
My two bits worth: I'd go for a '93-'94 model Maser 424 (4-door) or if you like 2 doors, the '94-'98 Ghibli Cup. The 424 is 2liter 245hp and the Cup 2liter, 306-320hp. Now if you tweek the boost up a bit... Prices are VERY reasonable for these cars, performance is excellent and the interiors are just grand! We have many excellent examples here and they are truly exclusive cars. Here are some examples:
Offerte
Offerte
We spent 5yrs (two NATO stints) in Naples back in the '60's. I was in my teens and I have a soft spot for that city.
Jim K.
Jim -

Interesting cars, and solidly in my price range. Will do a bit more digging on these. Not a fan of the 424, but Ghibli Cup and 224 are nice.

Thanks,

Scott

72 GTV; 66 Fairlane GT convt, 428, 4 sp; 68 GTO Convt, owner built 455 and TH400; 71 Javelin road race project, owner built 401, T10
post #21 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandeblek View Post
Hi Scott. You should try a website in Italy called Auto Usate in Italia - Offerte Macchine Usato - AutoScout24. Lots of Italian cars and you can chose the area you want to buy a car. Cheers
I'm familiar with autoscout, but have been using subito.it lately. I'll be sure to keep up with what's being posted there.

Scott

post #22 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
personally I've always liked the 308/4 (because it is Bertone and V8!) but you won't even get near to one for 30k$ (27k euro) anymore, I'm afraid.

a Mondial on the other hand is always within that price bracket (don't like em much though, personally)

a 2600 alfa sprint might just fall within budget (though rather hard steering for narrow neapolitan streets!)

one of the best websites over here...also lots of italians advertise there:
mobile.de ? Gebrauchtwagen und Neuwagen ? Deutschlands größter Fahrzeugmarkt

as well as
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars
I've seen a few 308 GT4's for around $30,000 euros (and some less than that), including some nice ones.

Not a fan of the Mondial either.

2600 Alfa Sprint can be found in my price range, but not the Spider. I'll check into these a bit more.

I'm familiar with mobile.de - great site. Also spend some time on classic-trader.com/uk/cars

Thanks,

Scott

post #23 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesmontreal View Post
Autoscout is great... I found you a Lamborghini well within your budget. Should be a reliable one as well.

I only found a handful of Mondials below 30,000 yurros. 40,000 brings a 348. Any other Ferrari is more. Perhaps you should get a 308 in the US, run it during your stay and sell it when you leave Italy.... they say driving a Ferrari in Italy makes you feel like being the Pope for a day. (Which means some people will hate you as well)

No other Lambo, but the Maseratis suggested by Jim seem to be a dime a dozen. Worth thinking about...

NSX???
Nice Lambo, but kind of boxy...

Not very difficult to find a Mondial for less than 30,000 euros. 348's can be found for less than 40,000 euros, but not a big fan of those.

Somewhat interested in the Maserati's, but more interested in something older with a bit more character. If I'm going with something newer, I think the Lancia Delta Integrale 16v/Evoluzione is a great car -- small, powerful, AWD.

Thanks,

Scott

post #24 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I have driven a 424 and was given a ride in a Ghibli with increased boost... Amazing cars! As for their engines, they are jewels: V6, 4 cams, 24v, efi, 2 turbos. Exceptional features: 6-speed (for Ghibli), Torsen diff and electrically adjustable suspension firmness at the press of a button! Just as a point of curiosity, if you ever get the chance check out the liners! They are pieces of sculpture! I don't know if these cars were ever available in the US -a real pity and loss to classy performance car lovers!
I never worked on these 2liter V6's but was once associated with a Maser repair shop and had the opportunity to study these jewels up close. Then, as if the 2liter lumps are not enough, there are the 2.8liter variants...
Jim K.
Nice cars. Not necessarily what I was looking for, but I'm interested.

Thanks

Scott

post #25 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG1964 View Post
Think about where is the nearest assistance garage. Naples isn't the best place to service a car, especially if you don't speak Italian....
The nearest assistance garage will be at my house. As I stated, I can do everything up to and including engine and transmission rebuilds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG1964 View Post
And remember that the pre-1995 cars can't circulate every day because the pollution.
Ok, this is the first time I've heard this. Is this just within the city limits? All over Italy? Strictly enforced?

Thanks

Scott

post #26 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 AM

What some cities have are vehicle restrictions in the historic centres.
the 'centro storico' of Naples is restricted depending on colour zone (who in their right mind would drive there anyway!)
Comune di Napoli - ZTL del Centro Antico

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.
post #27 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderserie4 View Post
What some cities have are vehicle restrictions in the historic centres.
the 'centro storico' of Naples is restricted depending on colour zone (who in their right mind would drive there anyway!)
Comune di Napoli - ZTL del Centro Antico
Thanks for the info. That's helpful. I won't be living or working in Naples, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Scott

post #28 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:55 AM

All the historic centres in Italy have restrictions, some even to the Euro 4/5, it depends on the time band. But this isn't the main problem, the problem is that a pre-1995 car (Euro 0/1) can't circulate at all during the week, except if you're going to a car meeting. There is a penalty and the requisition of the vehicle...
post #29 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM

in Germany we also have restrictions.
you apply for a green sticker (euro4), no problem say on my spider (1990) which has a cat.
Historic cars (over 30 years and older) do not need a green sticker and can drive anywhere. Historic cars in Germany have an "H" at the end of the registration, so officials can easily tell.

foreign visitors to Germany "from any country" also need this sticker (5 euros one time payment) and it can be got online if you send them a copy (pdf) of your car registration papers (you could otherwise get a 40 euro fine.......personally I've driven here for years in english cars w/o this sticker and no-one ever cared tbh.)
Foreign visitors in their 'historic' cars just need to lay a copy of their registration in the windscreen, so that if parked, it can be seen as "historic"

But true, cars that fall between Historic (30 years old) and non cat cars, will also have a problem here entering the green zones (but, only in the major cities!)....or you fit an aftermarket cat..of course you can drive in any car anywhere else all around Germany and Europe.....if they banned pre 1995 cars during the week outside the historic cities in Italy, there'd only be a few donkeys and chickens on the road, methinks

Dom - Alfa Spider 1990 S4 - formerly: Alfa 101 Sprint, 2600 Sprint, Montreal - family classics: Jensen Interceptor II, '58 Hooper RR Silver Cloud I, Shadow II, '60 Corvette.

Last edited by spiderserie4; 04-28-2015 at 09:23 AM.
post #30 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:44 PM

If I get this right, the Italian registered car that can't be driven during the week, can be driven in Germany anytime?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode