restoration started on 1961 Fiat abarth 750 Berlina - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

restoration started on 1961 Fiat abarth 750 Berlina

This car was originally a CA car, but was purchased from a shop in Oregon that removed the original Abarth 750 engine and reverse leaf front spring for a more valuable double Bubble project they were doing. We will eventually build a nice engine for it that will likely be better than the old 750 one. I like to use a reverse rotation 843 Fiat 850 engine, as they have good power and the stock 3 bolt 600 water pump bolts right on and still lines up with the radiator shroud. You can make them look pretty period with the right accessories and exhaust, all which you can find now a days. The correct type of front springs are available now as well to lower it back down to where it belongs.

It was a white car originally, and was an Abarth 750 car from new. You can see a few of the unique and hard to replace Abarth dash parts that show their 50 plus years. the tach, 90MPH speedo, and steering wheel all are original. other Abarth original parts that came with the car are the grille and all badges, the over sized radiator, and the collapsible engine lid props. The 750 Berlinas are not as wild at the later 1000TC's and flared out Berlina corsas, but are still rare and pretty charming. will make a great little street car.

going back to white with it again, and will do a red / white interior. should end up looking really clean when I am done with it. Got some sweet Cromadora Abarth magnesium 13 X 4.5 wheels for it coming from Europe.

Found out today it needs new floors and doesn't just have "a few little holes to fill"

except for the floors, body is pretty straight and solid for a 53 year old Fiat 600 based car. not much other rust at all. It will clean up nicely after i get on it with the sanders, fillers, and primers for a few weeks, and weld in some new floors.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 03:49 AM

Hi Andrew

Hiding away in my barn for the last 35 years I have the same car waiting to be restored. Can you tell me if on the back side of any of the Abarth chrome bits if there is a number stamped? Mine has the number 10 stamped into front grill.

Cheers

Mark

1967 Innocenti C , !967 Fulvia Ralley 1.3 1959 ABARTH 750,1953 AUSTIN HEALEY BN1
www.abarth.ca
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 06:28 AM

Looking forward to watching this one.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

here are some photos of my 64 to show just how cool these things can be when you do them up right. It was a pretty extensive 850TC conversion from a 600D, and is a great driver. has a 60 HP reverse rotation 903, twin radiators, disc brakes, Konis, and tons of special details.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/115054...7641705879624/
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarth69 View Post
Hi Andrew

Hiding away in my barn for the last 35 years I have the same car waiting to be restored. Can you tell me if on the back side of any of the Abarth chrome bits if there is a number stamped? Mine has the number 10 stamped into front grill.

Cheers

Mark
Haven't seen any numbers on any of the parts I have taken off so far. Saw the photos of yours at your web site. You weren't kidding, its like a clone of this project.

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-01-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:51 AM

I miss my 600 with the reverse rotation 903. It pulled hard to over 8000rpm with 70+ horsepower. It wasn't really that fast, but it sure seemed like it.

Anyway, I have quite a lot of 600 and 850 parts here. If you need anything let me know. Email, don't pm.

Greg,
Silicone Hose Kits
www.okinjectors.com
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 08:36 AM

Andrew your car looks great. I like the intake from Costa Mesa R&D.
What kind of ignition are you running?

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

I had Pertonix custom fit one of their electronic ignitions in the Fiat 600D distributor. They told me it was the smallest distributor they ever had fit one of their units into. Its been trouble free for ages.

I have another alloy radiator ducted in the front spare tire area from an 1100CC Motorcycle, and the electric fan in the rear is from a Fiat 128 and is very powerful. Never have an overheating issue with the car. PBS had told me years ago that these motors make more power when they run cooler than modern engines. I have a 165 degree thermostat in there. I run a 28 / 36 DCD Carb that was from a Fiat 1500 Cabriolet. That is an Ansa headrer, and I had Stebro make me a custom stainless small bore twin inlet muffler to my specification years ago before you could buy stuff on ebay.

Has a good punch come in when the secondary opens up. Disc brakes are from an 850 Spider. Just recently got some Konis for the rear that were from a Volvo Amazon, and they fit and work great.

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-02-2014 at 09:08 AM.
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:28 AM

Thanks. That's what it looked like, I'm fitting a Pertronix to an 850 distributor now.
First had to rebush the distributor as they're all worn out by now.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

I was lucky and was able to find a brand new distributor way back when. In my experience, most of the running problems with vintage cars stem from bad distributors, old leaky worn carburetors, or incorrect cam timing. get those things right, and the cars can actually be pretty reliable. I know lots of Alfa owners who have converted over to the new fully electronic 123 units with good success.
post #11 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 11:56 AM

I agree about the reliability.
There is only one vendor that I found that supply's a electronic distributor similar to the 123. But it's listed for both the 600 and 850 and he couldn't tell me anything about the advance curve.
The one I'm making is for a 9.8 to 1 engine with a ST cam.
Next I would like to develope a crank fired system but that's quite a bit more money.
Thanks for posting, I love seeing your cars.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #12 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

working on a big order for the 750 Berlina right now. I need a lot of parts for the car, from trim, to front end parts, complete brake system, exhaust, rubber, axels, couplers, cables, etc. Most stuff we need is available, which is pretty amazing. when I did my cars, i just bought everything i could find up front so i could fit the grilles, lights, trim when doing the body, re drill and fill holes,etc. Then start organizing the parts groups needed for the various projects that would be started after the body and paint were finished. I have a local guy that did my seats who is very good and will do the ones for this car. he will come over and make some door and rear side panels on site as well.

Looks like we lucked out and I got my old friend Jaan Hjorth of Edins Motto on board to build us a motor for this car, and maybe go through the trans axel as well. talked to him about it yesterday, and we are dropping a couple of engines and trans axels off this week. Still not sure if we are going to go the 843 Fiat 850 direction, or to build a 750 Abarth engine like it had originally. we do have an Abarth 750 crank and other key parts, and I think if we can come up with what it takes to do a real 600 based 750 engine, we may go that route.

http://eddinsmoto.com/
post #13 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM

Really glad to see this car being brought back to life, thanks for posting!
post #14 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

stripped all the paint off today. restoring the steering wheel

took the seats down to the upholstery shop today. He will come by and make the door cards on site. My customer brought over the redone gas tank and special Abarth oversized radiator. will post a photo of the radiator at some point.

New floors, battery box, and rear engine section arrived today. Going to order all the rest of the parts tomorrow. Engine cores are here and ready to go to Jaan's shop. The plan is to use his gorgeous original abarth crank with 64mm pistons,(about 817CC) and an A112 Abarth cam, 32mm single Abarth carb and manifold. should be good for about 50 HP. we ordered the tach drive today. $$$

steering wheel is ready for prime and paint. I will do it the original dirty beige color. we are having the horn ring re chromed.
post #15 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 PM

Nice project !
These are really fun cars when set up.
I had a good original 750 Berlina years ago. It had a Rich Motors 830cc motor that ran really well.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode