restoration started on 1961 Fiat abarth 750 Berlina - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

that part was just a bit banged up and had surface rust. i was able to clean it up and use it.

Just found out the Cromadora wheels we got take a tube only! My wheel guy said there was no way to mount any kind of valve stem on them, as the exit hole is very thick and on a curved part of the wheel.. how weird is that--a mag wheel that takes a tube only? Local shop ordered me some small tubes that will fit, and they should be in later today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Go tthe tires mounted with the tubes. My shop said they were a pain.

these little Achilles Platinum 7 tires are actually quite good. AA traction rated, A temperature, and they are an HR rated tire. these are a 165 65 Hr 13, and are about the same height as the original 5 x 12 tires

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rs...n&typ=R-170603

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-18-2014 at 11:03 PM.
post #48 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:38 PM

You are lucky you have a good shop. Most old mags leak and tire shops won't mount anything with tubes, you have to find a local independent guy.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Tomas Sport Tuning in Berkeley is as good as it gets for careful and pro quality work on anything they do.
post #50 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

few little details. finished the wet sanding today

tomorrow i spray the the outside of the entire car. The Miata gel battery showed up today. I still have to come up with a simple hold down for it.

I have a machine that installs captive metric "Nut serts" into the sheet metal, and like to use those instead of sheet metal screws for mirrors and other things around the car.

When you own a cool car like this, got to have a nice leather Abarth key fob
for it!

post #51 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Now it looks like a porcelain Fiat Abarth 750!

just got done spraying the body, and it turned out really nice. Next week I can start the fun part of putting it back together. Still trying to round up some things we need.

post #52 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 04:32 AM

Hi Andrew
I've been following your restoration with interest. It looks great! And are you a fast worker, or what? What project are you going to do NEXT month?!
I'm working on a friend's similar car which we race in the UK, and we are trying to get some of the cabin details back to a more correct period. We want to replace our modern ('70s!) tacho. We've been able to find a '50's 55mm Jaeger 8000rpm tacho, but we are now puzzling how best to get it fitted.
So I was very interested to see the tacho which was fitted in your car, and the especially mounting surround. I assume the surround is just chromed pressed tin, correct? Do you think it is original Abarth, or adapted from something else? It looks like it is full of compound curves and would be very difficult to make from scratch. I'd be very grateful if could let me know some details of yours, or some more pictures.
Thanks (in anticipation)
Benjy
post #53 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

this car is a factory put together Abarth 750 Berlina, and still has the original cable driven tach that it came with. The chrome tach surround piece is out being chromed right now, and will be back next week. I can send you some photos of it once I have it back together.

I am working on these cars full time and have a lot of experience doing this type of work. There is a lot of organization of the project that goes on in my head as far as keeping it moving. For example, This week, I sent the owner off to find a bunch of small things I noticed we did not have that were going to hold up the next stage--the throw out bearing holder, a cap for the brake reservoir, a starter, the axle "stones" that go into the tranny, the tranny bracket, the special tapered bolts that go into the shift coupler, etc. He;s been searching through his parts stash, and also lives pretty close to Chris Obert, and we now have found just about everything we need. That's always a problem on these half taken apart project cars, that small things you absolutely need go missing.

My next project is a 1969 pre production Datsun 240Z that is currently having some work done at a friends shop. the thing is totally apart and on a rotisserie. Its super low serial number is actually hand engraved.

That car i am mostly just doing the finish body work and paint on. I will be piece painting it, and the owner is going to deal with assembly.
post #54 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'd be very happy to see more pictures of the tacho surround when it come back, sad person that I am!
post #55 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

did a bit of a marathon on the car the past two days

wanted to get a jump on what is a very big task at hand: to finish this car.

I rebuilt the front end the past two days, installed new bearing style tie rods, the front disc brake kits, shocks, and an Abarth front spring. replaced the master cylinder and two rear wheel cylinders, plus all brake hoses. flushed out the hard lines with brake cleaner.

started putting a few of the parts back on today.

matched the funky greyish beige paint they used on the gauge pod and steering wheel, and redid them both.

post #56 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

wearing a few more pieces of its jewelry

I ran some headlight relays and ceramic headlight jacks, and those are real Cibie E codes. One place where I always stray from original on old cars is running upgraded headlight wiring.

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-22-2014 at 11:34 PM.
post #57 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

today was headliner and insulation

I used a first layer of a material called "damplifiers" from second skin Audio. high end sound insulation, and these cars need it.

I used a thermal heat shield insulation on top of that in all the back areas to as well.

B-Stock Pro Bulk Pack - Second Skin Audio

Also had a change of plan on wheel choice. Although they are really nice wheels, the A112 Abarth alloys are a bit too modern for the car and will go on another Fiat the owner has. Since this car is turning out to be to be such a period correct car, we ordered a set of the 12 X 4.5 Campagnolo wheels in the style you see in all the old b&W photos of these cars from back in the days.

post #58 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

dealt with the steering box today

box was disgusting on the outside, but turned out to look like new inside. was out of gear oil though, as it has a small leak. rather then send it out for a rebuild (which can do more harm then good on a perfectly working but leaky box) , I cleaned it up, packed it with a synthetic red grease, and called it a day. done this before with good success in leaky but solid steering boxes

test fitted some rear parts, and tomorrow i am planning on doing glass work..

also been playing around with tail lights and bulbs, got a frozen screw out of the old tach drive distributor so we can transfer it over to the new one. we also picked up a bunch of new dash parts--lights and switches. the old stuff was scary looking. for example:

post #59 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

got the glass back in without braking anything!

We used a rope and some soapy water and plastic glass install tools. had a friend help me on this job. Nice that the new rubber was made in the original factory molds in Italy, and fit perfect.

got more of the interior installed. got the door handles and window channel in so i could do the panels.

I got the chrome tach housing back, and someone was asking about what it looked like. It does have a very curved appearance that follows the shape of the dash.

our supplier shipped a bunch of needed parts finally today--more body trim, rubber mat kit, axle kits, fuel sender, etc.
post #60 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

just noticed after looking at the photo of the tach that it could use a little tlc. took it apart, painted the pointer, and cleaned the old falling apart seal out and replaced it with a new o ring.

this looks a lot better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode