restoration started on 1961 Fiat abarth 750 Berlina - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

sounds like a good battery. do you have a link to the exact model you got for future reference?

here is the Miata battery I use. "shipping weight" of 25 pounds includes the box and packaging. its a small battery for an impressive 400CCA output, only about 7 x 7 x 5 inches.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-maz...Fe5aMgodhUYARw

another thing i do is get a brand new 2 gauge battery cable to run all the way back to the starter. A guy on ebay custom makes them with real crimped on ends on both sides. you just tell him the length you need. many of the starting and charging problems are caused by old wimpy / corroded battery cables--the hot lead is nearly 10 feet long. I run an extra ground off the engine, and replace the battery ground with a new wire as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220798517523...84.m1497.l2649

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-11-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM

I'm not at home now but when I get back I will PM you the exact battery model number.
Thanks for the link on the cable making guy.
I too always run an extra ground. I run it from a starter bolt to the body.
Have you tried the High Torque starters? They are great, for the money I'll never rebuild another Marelli unless period looks are vital. Of course the added benefit is they are about 5 pounds lighter.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #33 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 PM

what filler did you use for the cracks in the wheel?

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - pretty much finished!
Bunch of bikes too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

I used a very heavy duty epoxy putty made by Anderson. its a commercial epoxy. Epoxy PC7 is often used by steering wheel repair guys, but I like this putty better. seems to dry harder and not stay a bit tacky. feathers really nice, which means its adhesion to sanded plastic is very high.

http://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Epoxy...ds=epoxy+putty

Last edited by Andrew Schank; 03-12-2014 at 05:49 PM.
post #35 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

second round of primer, painted some of the inner areas

I had pressure washed the under body when i first got the car in, and that cleaned up most of the loose stuff under there. I don't know what I'd do without a pressure washer.

I just needed to hit it with a wire brush and blast of air, and i was able to spray some Gravitex undercoating under there today as well.

4 huge boxes of parts arrived.

I started stripping down the wheels and hope to get them painted by the weekend.

we also got a great deal on a newly build up totally complete tip to toe 600D with a lot of performance parts. Its about an 825 CC engine, and should make over 45 HP-maybe even 50. Our 600D tranny checked out good as well, so in several weeks, may be fitting a drive train to the car

we got a good discount on the engine!

Fiat 600 engine for sale

post #36 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

we were talking about batteries a few messages back. i figured these Lithium iron starter batteries would eventually come down in price, but was not aware it happened until i saw this at another forum. weighs 3 pounds, (not a misprint) 330 CCA. 21 AH. can sit for a year and still retain most of its charge. steller reviews so far form the motorcycle and jet ski guys.

Amazon.com: Shorai Lithium Iron Extreme-Rate Battery LFX21L6-BS12: Automotive

when my Miata battery goes out in my 600 or Allemano, I will replace it with one of these.
post #37 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

tranny is being fully gone through by a rear engine Fiat expert.

nice tar pit to start out

Abarth ring and pinion FTW

post #38 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

wheels had corrosian under the paint. had to strip them

sealing them with a tough thick 1 to 1 epoxy primer to seal the magnesium and to try to fill in the pits. hope to sand and paint them in the silver and clear tomorrow.

entire car inside and out has been primed now.

post #39 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

got the wheels and inside of the car painted today

I ended up spending a lot of time sanding the primer I put on the wheels yesterday to help fill in blemishes, and then I primed them again and painted them later in the day. they turned out really good for 40 year old magnesium wheel, and should now be sealed and protected.

I got the dash, jams, and entire inside of the car painted in top coat. these inexpensive cars are a lot more paint work than people would think--body color is all over the place as it was cheaper back then to paint something than to upholster it. a A Fiat 600 and an old Mini Cooper are both way harder to paint than a mid 70's Alfa or Fiat or MGB.

I redid the gas tank as well. Never let the radiator places paint your parts. they usually use some awful gummy black paint that never dries, and they usually get it on all uneven with runs, etc. Thing was hideous, and its right in your face when you open the front trunk.

post #40 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

engine and interior arrived today

trail fit grilles and mirrors and some other trim. After market front grille is really good quality but still needed a lot of fitting to make it line up right. Polished up the original 4 alloy front cross pieces.

Seats look incredible and are very comfortable,. New foam, new straps, new covers. I had to work the seat tracks a bit to get them to slide in right. Interior is going to be very hot looking with a full new rubber mat kit, red / white seats and red side panels. very Italian looking, and very period correct.

engine is a bored out 600D, about 830CC now. crankshaft manuflux - nitrated with new bearing - rod balanced with new bushings - original Fiat pistons Fiat 62.8mm with new rings -new timing gear and chain - rebuilt and modified camshaft by Elgin - new tappets - new push rods - new valves - valves springs - ported cylinder head -34 Solex carburetor and intake manifold - new rebuilt distributor - new water pump - new alloy sport oil pan - new sport manifold and muffler - new generator - all new belts. Has been bench tested. Should make 50 HP or so and sound great.

post #41 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:12 PM

Nice exhaust. Where did that come from?
That's exactly like the NOS Abarth that's on my 850.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #42 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

looks like the one Mr Fiat sells, his "large pipe" one. It came on this engine. We got the similar one with the smaller pipes. Not sure which one to run. the smaller pipe onre is more correct for a 750 Berlina, but this one probably flows better.

Fiat 600 Sport Muffler Thick Pipes New - Abarth - Fiat 600 - Fiat
post #43 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:03 AM

Garage
Hello Andrew. As usual, great workmanship on the car. The floor pans that you installed, are they Fiat original or aftermarket? Who did you purchase them from? Thanks for sharing tips and parts information. Can't wait to see it finished.Joe
post #44 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter

They are most likely after market. Chris Obert had a set in stock, and my client doesn't live too far from Santa Cruz, so he picked them up. Fit was fine, and the seat tracks line up good. what else do you need?
post #45 of 108 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:34 AM

Garage
Hi Andrew. Thks for the info. Did you say you replaced the metal part (in engine compartment) where the exhaust runs through? Was that from Chris also? Thks again.Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode