Maser QUATTROPORTE - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Maser QUATTROPORTE

Hi,

I have been wondering about the late 70's and early 80's Quattroporte - are they as unreliable as the biturbo? What are the good and bad things about them?

Were they available with manual tranny or are they all automatic?

Thanks,
Ron.

Past: '88 Spider
Present: '69 GTV, '67 GT Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:25 AM

Strictly speaking, the Quattroporte IS a Biturbo. Pre-FIAT ownership (1992 I think) the Quattroporte is a reliable (or unreliable) as the 222, 228 etc.

They were available as both automatic and manual.

Good:
Luxurious (leather, wood, A/C, everything imaginable electronically adjustable), fast (once turboboost has set in), rare (if you like not to meet someone in the same car), subtle (only the ones in the know, can tell what youre driving - and appreciate it), performance, looks (if you like understated elegance), a good investment (in my opinion these cars are highly underrated).

Bad:
Delicate mechanics, needs regular (expensive) maintenance, parts are expensive, a magnet to carthieves.

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by 164QV
Strictly speaking, the Quattroporte IS a Biturbo. Pre-FIAT ownership (1992 I think) the Quattroporte is a reliable (or unreliable) as the 222, 228 etc.

I am talking about the V8 - I think you got it confused?

See http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...6/58383226.htm for what I am talking about.

Ron.

Past: '88 Spider
Present: '69 GTV, '67 GT Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:43 AM

From what I've been able to tell when I looked at getting a biturbo 430, the normally aspirated V8 cars are much more reliable - although that is all relative ;-) I think it often boils down to the kind of buyer and how they looked after the car. People who bought the V8 were aware of maintainence requirements and had the financial means to fulfill them. The biturbo people didn't always know what they were getting into, and didn't have the means or mindset to look after a car that was only 85% developed ;-) In that regard, the V8 cars are a much more complete design.

So the trick is to find a one or two owner car from somebody who has a stable of quirky cars - preferably other Masers.

Of course you will have all of the maladies associated with an older car. Worn rubber, corrosion, cracked plastic, questionable electrical grounds, water pump, alternator, starter, etc. Not specific to Maserati, just applies to any car this age.

Last edited by verdegrrl; 11-06-2003 at 02:12 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:57 AM

if im not mistake the maseratiuattroporte of the 80's era wasnt a biturbo but a nauturally aspirated 4.7 litre V8,if im not mistaken

the quattroporte from 95-2001 was a biturbo V6 or V8

Current: 89' Milano Gold(sold)
Next: 164 S

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:00 PM

this is an 80s model
Attached Images

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:47 PM

Sorry, I was rambling. (again )

Jørgen

1969 1300GT Junior
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 04:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Yikes!!!

Ron,

Back away from the Maserati...good boy...baby steps...don't go there!

One of my good friends here is a Maserati used parts guy. He has about six of these behemoths in his barn (along with many other Masers). The biggest problem with any Maserati is that they are very rare and very hand-made. This means that parts are VERY hard to find, very expensive and they don't always fit!

Now, it might be worth it if the final product has value (like a Ghibli). But the second generation Quattroporte, like the one you want is sadly, worth virtually nothing and probably will never be worth very much. So, in my opinion, you would be spending thousands (and a lot of time) fixing the car, while it sits idle in your garage. Is that what you want?

Maseratis are (and have always been) very quircky and unreliable cars. The build-quality of the earlier cars was better than the Biturbo era, but they are still not great.

If you are really serious, I can put you in touch with my friend, who can probably find you a good one (for a small broker's fee). But, instead...why not get a Maserati sports car? Or if it's a 4-door you are after, go for an Alfa, a Lancia, a FIAT....anything but a Maserati!

Cheers,

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 04:22 AM

Whoa! hold your horses, young man!
Quote:
But the second generation Quattroporte, like the one you want is sadly, worth virtually nothing and probably will never be worth very much.
That may be true - but hey; is that any different from many Alfas? I believe we've had this discussion before - my view is that these cars - like Alfas - are rare and have lots of soul, which makes them worth a lot in my opinion. And by the way: they're italian!

I am a sucker for Maserati cars. In my opinion the only car make that ecclipses Alfa Romeo is Maserati.

As designer Tom Tjaarda said to Classic and Sports Cars at the Concorso Italiano 2001: "There´s something very special about a Maserati that's, I don't know, less obvious than a comparable Ferrari. For me, owning a Ferrari doesn't necessarily mean that you have good taste, just that you have money. A Maserati is more subtle."

Exactly my words, major Tom!

Jørgen

1969 1300GT Junior
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 AM

Jorgen,

I actually love Maseratis and will probably own one some day. I am in love with the Bora, Merak and Ghibli, and the first generation Quattroporte makes me drool!

But, as far as the second generation Q-porte goes, it has all the quirks of the others, with fewer of the thrills.

Unless you are very knowledgeable and rich, Maseratis (in general) are very difficult cars to keep on the road. Alfas are far less expensive to buy, fix and drive. And they are MUCH more reliable. Besides, just try and buy a power-steering pump for a Q-Porte! So, there IS a big difference.

Just my opinion of course...but go and check the prices of parts at these sites (you might have to call for price checks on some things):

http://maseratinet.com/SPARE_PARTS/Engine.asp

http://www.reoriginals.com/

Cheers,

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 04:53 AM

First of all, I think you might be exaggerating a bit. Sure, parts are more expensive than Alfa parts. Sure they are more unreliable than Alfas. But thats not really my point. Thing is, we pour money into these cars, and may fool ourselves to believe that running costs are the same as a modern car - but whats the point?

Lets say you have X amount of money to keep a car running for. Does it matter how much of this is spent on maintenance and how much is spent on paying the loan back? The Maserati will be cheap to buy, and expensive to run - within the same budget as lets say a modern 166 which is expensive to buy and cheap to run. I would choose the Maserati.

Jørgen

1969 1300GT Junior
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 05:20 AM

OK, Jorgen. That's fine with me, and I agree that keeping old cars (like all my Alfas) alive means that although entry price is low, there are maintenance costs that can be pretty high.

I wonder if anyone on this BB has a Q-Porte? And, if they do...are they happy with it?

If you buy one, please keep us informed by posting about it.

I, on the other hand, will still recommend strongly against getting one. I have talked at length about this very car with my friend, the Maserati expert and he convinced me that it would just be an exercise in frustration and cost.

But, to each his or her own!

Cheers,

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 09:27 AM

both of guys have a good point

i personally wouldnt waste my money on a maserati from the 80's since they came from the detomaso era, totally unreliable and cheep build. maseratis that are desirable come from 50-70s then in the 90's they had some nice machines like the Ghibli, Shamal and Quattroporte and now they seem to have found a breath of fresh air under Ferrari's ownership, models like the Spyder, Coupe and new 4porte are amazing in everyway, very good build quality, amazing technology. there not cut budget engineered cars nemore. hek maserati offers a 4 year warranty!!!

164Qv brought up a very good point about maseratis in general, they dont attract the same buyer as a Ferrari or Porsche who like to flaunt his car, the maserati owner has good taste and likes sublte luxury. maserati is about understated agression and luxury, exclusivity and most of all........FUN, i remember hearing a 97 Ghibli kicking it on the highway in Italy, what an incredible sound!!!!!!!!

Maserati is the sublte, luxurious 911 and M3 eater, !!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode