Buying an italian car... - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:44 PM

GTVMAN,

Get a black on black 164 (like the one pictured above) and you can fill the back seat with girls panties. The 19 year old chicks will love it! Guaranteed!

At 19 that's what you should be looking for in a car! Chick magnet factor.

p.s. Sorry for the extremely non PC post.

'69 1750 GTV
Cogito, ergo Alfa Romeo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I would rather have a beautiful car though than a girlfriend... I mean I would prefer to have both, but if I had to chose I would chose the Alfa over the girl... I don't think girls like "Alfaholics" anyways, they like sober guys! btw, do you guys know if there are any T-shirts or bumper stickers out there that say "I'm an alfaholic" or "there is no life without ferrari and alfa romeo" or something to that extent?

Daniel Katz
'91 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:09 PM

I think it may be time to chime in

I can understand your quandary, having been there to some degree myself. I looked at the Maser 430 as an alternative to the Milano Verde or Porsche 928 back in the early '90's. After some serious research my conclusion was that it would not make a very good every day car due to poor reliability and high running costs. Missed a cream puff Porsche by 20 minutes - which may have been a blessing in disguise ;-) Ended up with the Milano. I now have 243,000 miles on the original engine and tranny and have gone just about everywhere in North America in it. Now it isn't a low maintanence car by the standards of Japanese cars, but by making sure to do the preventitive measures, it has been very reliable.

Now you'll have to understand where I am coming from. I've written service for British cars and sold VW and Audi for over 5 years as well as working in the automotive aftermarket. I've always been a car nut. In fact, my personal nightmare would be to go out with a guy for the only reason that I think he has a cool car. When I met my husband, he too owned a Milano, but even that wasn't enough to totally break the ice. It took a lot of persuasion on his part to get more than a friendly acknowledgement. The fact is that girls who like cars and might be able to tell one from another are in such high demand that in the end they pick the guy with the personality they like best - not usually the car.

In fact, in years of selling cars, I can tell you that having the "right" car, only gets you the "wrong" kind of females ;-) If initially she really cares about what you are driving, then chances are she actually cares more about the car than you (and whatever that car symbolizes $$$$). If you want quality, it doesn't matter so much the age or type of car (within reason obviously - a minivan isn't going to see much action;-), what matters is whether the car is well cared for both mechanically and cosmetically. Basically you are advertising your ability to care and maintain for her through the car. So an overtly masculine car might tell her that you care more for your own masculine ego, than her feelings. A nice car that is poorly cared for, tells her that you are all about acquistion, and not about maintaining a relationship. Etc....

So a quirky car in good running order that is clean and shiny, tells her that you think outside the box, but take care of details. That you're independent, but still have your stuff together.

Now whether you keep the GTV or get a Spider, a GTV6, Milano, 164, is entirely up to personal preference. However, if you think just having the "right" car will attract desirable female company (depends of course entirely what kind of company you are looking for;-), think again. Buy the car to please yourself, not some imaginary person you might someday meet. If they can't accept you as yourself (and whatever you happen to be driving), then it probably wasn't meant to be in the first place.

Last edited by verdegrrl; 11-05-2003 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

I know all this really, I was just joking around... I mean I just really don't like the 80s cars period! Nobody is gonna convince me to buy a Milano, I will just keep my car and get a convertable top custom made if I find a place that will do it for under 1000 bucks! and I will get the heater and defrost fixed myself... I love my car, it is the most beutiful of the GTVs, it is right under the Montreal and mabey the JZ... so my next car will be a Montreal I hope!

Daniel Katz
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 09:26 AM

Here are a few suggestions

Although nobody I know who will do a good job, can do it for $1000.

Try asking these guys first and foremost:

Betz Speed & Color
1470 W Katella Ave
Orange, CA 92867
Phone: (714)997-3113

I don't think they do any body work themselves, but the shop has been around just about forever, and all the old time hot rodders go there. They are bound to have some suggestions of who to see.

Another shop is:

FABRICANTE Auto Body
26341 Dimension Drive, Lake Forest, CA 92630
949-859-8639

They repair and paint Alfas that have been damaged. Not sure if they will do custom work. They do have full capability to make body panels - they carry all the old fashioned metal working tools to make parts from scratch. Extremely detail oriented. Their body work is flawless.

And then there is this company. I sold an Audi to one of their management. Most likely out of your range, since they do full on show cars from scratch. Nice to drool though:-)

http://www.metalcrafters.com/services/sheet.html

If you speak Spanish or have a good friend who does, Tijuana is a good place to go. There is a section of the city that specializes in automotive work. You just have to review the quality of work and be clear on what you want, before you allow them to start work. Not for the faint hearted and you should have a very good idea of what you want before you go down. I don't know that they could fabricate a top, but they might be able to brace the chassis. Like I said though, be very, very careful. Stay away from the paint jobs. They are dreadful.

Have you considered a fiberglass hardtop like Mercedes or Miata? That might actually be easier to fabricate than a soft top. Yes, you will either have to put it on when you leave the house, or risk leaving it off, but it would make the car stiffer, quieter, and warmer.

You might also enquire around with people in the know, about who made the top for the GTC. Perhaps you could get your hands on the frame for that, and adapt it to your car.

Just make sure to get the chassis reinforced first and foremost. If you should ever be in an accident, I would rather we mourn the passing of the car, not you ;-)
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Daniel, I strongly recommend that you
get rid of the GTV. Buy a practicle daily driver (like a used Corrolla). Save like
crazy, then buy a nice GTV later. You will
in the long term be way ahead......
I know you want a daily ital driver NOW,
but trust me, it is better to wait awhile
as your current GTV is, I believe, a bottomless money pit that will never
be worth anywhere close to what you will put into it to make it nice (it will always be
a cut up car of little market value).
Please don't take this as a flame of you car, etc. Just trying to give you the benefit of the expensive lessons I have
learned.......

Kjell "Shel" Nelin 61 Flaminia GT
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks I will call them up now, but most of those places are pretty far away from the San Francisco Area... Tijuana is like an 8 hour drive from here! the gas and miles I would put on my alfa isn't even worth it, that and the fact it might get stolen... I have been to TJ twice on my old volvo but I used to live in LA then and it was only a 3 hour drive! I have the hardtop from the car but it is so rusted, I mean it needs full restoration and would need new material, new bars, and pins and straps to strap the thing down well enough... a fiberglass top sounds OK, but if I want to drive down to SF with my top down and once I get there it gets cold then bah, or with the weather in the bay area it might be sunny one minute raining the next... my convertable top now is rused, I think you are right about the market value not wanting my GTV, but it is unique, and I love the way it looks better than the stock GTV, I personally hate body kits, but love convertables, and I think this is the most beautiful convertable from an alfa, even more so than the GTC in my opinion! if non of you have seen pictures of my GTV yet check it out: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/show...5&pagenumber=1

Daniel Katz
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 11:37 AM

Having lived both in NorCal and SoCal like you, I am sure you are aware that the selection and price is all in SoCal. NorCal has too high of an overhead and the support industry isn't as good for custom body shops up here.

I've used TJ in the past for one day jobs. You have to resign yourself to sitting there at the shop to make sure the car doesn't go anywhere and plan to buy lunch for the people working on your car. Bring a good book ;-) It can be a risk, but it's always cheap :-) I've been lucky so far. $136 + my own materials to redo all of the seats and door panels on a Verde ( with all the seams on the Recaros ). Nice job too.

Obviously having the car done in LA would be preferable. I drive from NorCal to SoCal about once a month for work. It's not really an issue - especially if you stay off I5, and use 101. I5 tends to beat you up more and you have to deal with a lot more traffic. It's a comfy 6 or 7 hour cruise one way.

As for the value of the car, who cares? You like it. That is all that matters unless you're looking to resell it and actually get cash back out of it. That isn't going to happen to a non-classic era Alfa. In fact the used car market sucks royally right now, no matter what brand.

Just remember that you have basically a one-off car. The amount of money it will take to bring it up to production standards will be huge. Decide just how much you will spend in the end, and then do some homework as to whether your budget will bring your car up to the level you want it to be at. Most people never take the time to figure out if what they can spend and what they want, is possible. They usually dump more money than they want into the car, and it still isn't where they want it to be. Then they try sell their unfinished project car, but it isn't worth anything near what they've spent on it thus far, and they feel very discouraged. Don't let that happen to you.

Make a very detailed list of exactly what you want to change, improve or correct on the car. Decide what you can do, and what needs to be farmed out. Search this and other Alfa websites to get an idea of pricing whenever possible. The get some quotes on the custom stuff.

You have an interesting car. Reminds me a bit of the Abarth Fiat Spiders with the wheel flares, scoop and such.

http://autoclassic.free.fr/photoautr...02_m.jpg<br />

http://www.aurora.dti.ne.jp/~yoda/home/124-12.jpg
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

thanks a lot verdegrrl you have been a tremendous help... basically even if I sell the car I have to get it into good running condition... that means doing a tune-up which hasn't been done in YEARS, fixing the heater and defrost, getting the electrical system all fixed up, changing the differential and transmission oils and the fuel injection filter and oil, etc... I don't want to sell it, I know restoration will be a lot, but either way I have to get it into good running order whether I decide to sell it or not! But you (and someone else) might have convinced me to keep it! I mean repainting, and doing all the body work stuff I don't care about right now, that is where the big bucks will come in and therfore where I will have to make the decision. but the top I gotta get if I wanna get a fair deal if I sell it anyways!

Daniel Katz
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 02:04 PM

OK then, here is what I would do if I were you.

Get the full shop manual if you don't have it already. Lightly lube the throttle linkage, clutch linkage, etc. Don't ignore all the little bits and pieces all over the car that must move - be it dashboard, underneath, or engine bay. However, don't soak it, or it will just collect dirt. Replace ball joints and/or tie rod ends if needed. Swap out the tranny and diff oils for redline brand oil. It makes the shifting much easier and the parts will last longer. Redline fuel injector cleaner isn't half bad either. Do change all filters. I like Kendall motor oil and I don't have any oil consumption when I use it. Pull all electrical connectors, brush off with a small wire brush, paint with Stabilant 22 ( available at electronics stores and VW dealers - $$ ) and put back together. Swap all fuses for new ones. Clean those connectors. Replace spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and wires. If you're going to replace the battery, look into Optima - they are more expensive, but they are also much more durable - especially for cars with bad grounds and leaks. I don't know much about SPICA, so I'll leave that to the experts. I also like to lube door locks and such with powdered graphite, and clean the hinges/latches with a toothbrush and then lube them with a small amount of lithium grease. When cleaning the engine or other parts with dissimilar materials I like to use P21S cycle wash. It's safe for plastics, rubber, and various types of metal. Never use armor all - it actually dries out plastic and vinyl. Use Lexol or Meguiars instead.

I'm sure you know most of this already, so please pardon me if I've overstepped the boundary.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

I have changed all the ball joints and tie rods already, got a new drive shaft, new clutch, rebuilt the flydisc wheel, I changed the motor oil for 20w50 with a puralator oil filter... the inner door handles are broken and off, I have used marvel mystery oil in the gas tank... people have told me to use spirax 80w90 for the differential, transmission oil changes that I will be perfroming soon, how much better is the redline oil on all of that? I mean my second gear synchros are wacked, especially when downshifting I have to wait for a few seconds... and when upshifting I gotta wait for a second... my main concern right now is the tune-up and fixing the heater and defrost... oh and I should replace the fuel injector filter too, I refilled the K&N Performance air filters that I have on there...

Daniel Katz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode