Buying an italian car... - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Daniel,

Here's what you wrote at the beginning:

"I wanna get a more reliable Italian car that actually has a working Heater, Defrost, and AC... my budget is 7000 max, preferably 5000...so what is the most reliable of the italian cars in my budget?"

You were talking about a more reliable car with AC. If that's really what you need, then that limits your Alfa choices to the post 105 series cars (OK, some GTVs had add-on AC, but that's hard to find and not usually considered original).

Reliability? If that's your issue (with AC), then your choices are as I said above.

In ranking Alfa reliability (for US models only, and without concern for AC), I would say the list is like this:

1. 105 Series (Bertone Coupe, Giulia Sedan and Spider) - preferably with Weber carbs
2. 115 Series (late model GTVs, Berlinas and Spiders to '89) - preferably Weber, or L-Jetronic FI - NOT SPICA (SPICA is a great system, just not for the inexperienced)
3. Milano ('87-89)
4. Spider Series IV ('91-94)
5. GTV6
6. 164 ('91-92)
7. Alfetta GT and Sports Sedan

Cheers,

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:39 PM

I'm thinking Fiat Topolino. No AC, but very reliable, great gas mileage, RWD and an Italian icon:
Attached Images

Nick
1967 Duetto 1600
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:40 PM

what about the 164's from 94-95 with the 24valve engine, those have much improved electronics and build quality. the only main worries seems to be: timing belt has ro be repplaced more frequently and the electronic dash display tends to ware out, they are a big improvement over the previous 164 generation (91-93)

Current: 89' Milano Gold(sold)
Next: 164 S

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:41 PM

like this one
Attached Images

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Not bad at all, I mean I want something that is luxury, reliable, sporty, and Italian and has AC that won't overheat the car (my volvo always overheated with the AC on)... The 164 doesn't look as good as a 2000GTV but what the hell? I talked to a girl the other day and she said she would kill her boyfriend if he didn't have a heater or AC in his car, well that just about convinced me... I mean if I had a convertable I wouldn't need AC but I don't like spiders because they are 2 seaters and I always have at least 3 people with me... The only thing is the 164 is going down in value while the GTV is going up...

Daniel Katz
'91 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by NikosF
I'm thinking Fiat Topolino. No AC, but very reliable, great gas mileage, RWD and an Italian icon:
And hey, some famous Italian coachbuilders have made some stunning bodies for that car! Maybe I can scan a photo out of Italian Cars Monthly (or whatever it was called). The name always cracked me up, though--"little mouse."

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

I saw a Simca for sale here for 1500 bucks... it was a Simca Bertone Coupe... that was really wierd... but I would prefer a 5 speed, the Topolino looks too much like a bug for me, and it doesn't look too sporty at all... I might be able to live without AC as long as all the electrics in the car are fine and the Heater and Defrost work well...

Daniel Katz

Last edited by GTVMAN; 11-05-2003 at 02:57 PM.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 03:02 PM

No - the Topolino is not sporty! The 500 did have 18hp by the end of the product run though.

With 3.7 MILLION Fiat 500s made, this was THE Italian car that got Italy moving from 1957 to 1975. I would love to have one as part of an Italian car collection one day.

Nick
1967 Duetto 1600
post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 03:08 PM

Of course the Abarth versions were fairly sporty:
Attached Images

Nick
1967 Duetto 1600
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 03:25 PM

all i can say gtvman is that since we live in north america we cant be picky when it comes to purchasing an italian car, choose whatever you can find and be patient, im in the same situation and i keep looking for an Alfa with patience hoping to strike a good deal and a good car

post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 04:43 PM

Garage
Sorry if I spoil the party, guys -- but the car NikosF is referring to is a "Nuova 500" (a..k.a "cinque cento") and not a "Topolino". Topolinos were built from 1936 to 1955 and looked like this: http://www.quepo.com/queposite/quepoweb/topolino.html

The same site has also some information about the heritage of the models at:
http://www.quepo.com/queposite/fiat/...ito5oohis.html

Cheers,

Ruedi
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I think I will stick to the 105 series alfas... The two reasons mine isn't that great is because I can't find a place that makes custom convertable tops, and it needs a lot of resteroation... although it is unique and is awesome for being a convertable... I like the way it looks as a convertable more... The only car I would rather have is a Junior Zagato or a Montreal, but those would be hard to find in my price range, although I did see a Montreal with no engine or tranny for 3000 once selling in Canada...

Daniel Katz
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:23 PM

Hey GTVMAN - I know a lot of folks who are in love with the 101, 105 and 750 cars. I grew up with them ... and have nothing against them. See below ...

http://www.nizam.com/history.html

But, the newer Alfas, 115, 116 then 161 followed by the 164 etc. aren't too shabby either. They have more power, are better built, and are better all-rounders while still being affordable.

If you love your 105, and want another 105, there are plenty out there in your price range. However, I use my Alfa here in San Jose daily and find that A/C is absolutely necessary, as is the heater. Wipers that work, including seats that fit a variety of people are compulsory. Then there's the stereo; most of the time I'm sitting in traffic so I need some tunes to keep me happy. Yes, I can blip the throttle over and over and over and over again but it does get old if you're going nowhere and are getting 0 mpg.

I settled for the 161 series cars. Namely, the Milano/75 platform. I wasn't happy with just a stock one, though, so I built one to suit my needs.

http://www.nizam.com/75project.html

Believe me, it is a lot of fun, and is every bit an Alfa your Chop Top GTV is. It gives me this wry evil grin as I take off from a stop light, engine spinning madly towards the 7,000rpm cutoff with an exhaust wail that is unbeatable by anything in its class (the F355 and F360F1 are not in its class).

It cost me a thousand bucks to start with.

Yes, I've spent more than your $7,000 budget to this day, but I built that car in 1996. I still drive it today, 7 years later. If it sounds like I'm steering you towards the Milano, you're right. It's a lot of car for the money.

Of course, I'm not biased towards the Milano alone. I have a 164, and a 155V6 as well (the latter is not in San Jose). I also race the 75, and there are pictures of it on the track somewhere on this board.

The newer Alfas are just as much fun, but are friendly enough to drive everyday, and not freak out that cute girl from Psych 101 that you just managed to get a date with after trying for seven semesters (been there, done that). Here's a tip; girls are not partial to body odor (yours, or worse, their own!), the A/C is CRUCIAL

Give the Milano a look. Do remember they're now thirteen to fourteen years old and will require some love and attention. But once done right, you'll be fanatical about it.

Just ask Chip (AlfaRacer75), who is now building his own monster Milano ...

http://members.cox.net/alfamilano/milanopics.htm
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

I don't like the way milanos look though, and I think most girls won't either, every girl that has seen my gtv though thinks it is the most beutiful car in the world... I have a friend that has a Milano Silver (the 6 cylinder with hemispherical combustion chambers) and says that his car is extremely unreliable and breaks down all the time, he hates his car... I have a great stereo I installed (ghetto rigged) myself in my GTV and it works great! doesn't drain the battery or alternator at all, and it works even when the car is totally turned off too! It gets just about as hot here in Concord as it does in San Jose and I can always purchase an aftermarket AC when it gets hot, or I can try to find one with a stock AC and modify it to get cooler... but ACs ussually overheat most cars, even a lot of newer cars... I don't care about power that much and my car handles amazingly well, I don't care for power steering too much either that the milano has, better built, well I wouldn't say any 80s cars are better built, during the 80s they started experimenting with electronics and a lot of cars because of that aren't that reliable from the 80s, plus almost all cars from the 80s are extremely ugly... oh and the Milano will only go down in value while the GTV goes up...

Daniel Katz

Last edited by GTVMAN; 11-05-2003 at 06:44 PM.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:39 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
Daniel,

Maybe we're not getting through to you...repeat after me:

All Alfas are beautiful. Got it?

Never call an Alfa ugly on this BB, OK?

Thanks,

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode