If not Alfa than what?????? - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:23 PM

If I had to get something in a current day realistic price range it'd be a 308 GTB, 308 GTS, 911 SC, or Carrera. If I could play make believe, I'd get a Daytona, Dino 246 GT or a Dino 246 GTS. All in red of course!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:28 PM

How come most Biturbos and Quattraportes from the 80s are so cheap? I mean besides the fact that they are ugly, they are amazingly luxury and have amazing handling and an extremely fast 0-60, plus they are italian... so why can you buy most of them in good condition for 5-10k? a ferrari from the 80s with the same specs and in the same class would be more like 30-50k!

Daniel Katz
'91 Lotus Elan M100 Turbo
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 02:37 PM

The biturbo has alot of mechanical problems and needs constant maintaince.

1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
1968 Fiat 500 RHD
1979 Vespa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

My saloon car wishlist looks something like:

1. Maserati Quattroporte.
2. Ferrari 412 (how much of a saloon is that?!)
3. Alfa 166 3.0V6
4. Lancia Thema 8.32
5. Alfa 164 Q4 (4WD)
6. Alfa 164 3.0V6 - my current - so, I'm working my way up the list!

i must say 164QV, that we have the exact same tastes, would u know if the 4th generation quattroporte were more solid and reliable than previous biturbos??

i also loveeeee the Ghibli from 95-99 and the Shamal is just insane
Attached Images

Current: 89' Milano Gold(sold)
Next: 164 S

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 11:10 PM

Is the quattraporte from the 80s just a biturbo that is a sedan instead of a coupe? is it much more reliable?

Daniel Katz
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-03-2003, 11:51 PM

I think "Biturbo" was a nickname that was subsequently officially adopted by Maserati. It simply refers to Maseratis with twin turbos. I believe the first was the 228, which in easily understable Maserati-terms means 2-doors, 2.8 litre. The car I had:

Was a 424v. which means 4-doors, 24 valve - whereas the first where 12 valve. So a Biturbo can be both 2 and 4-doors. As AzzurriGTV says, the 80's Biturbos are really cheap, mainly because the mechanicals are very delicate and need constant maintenance. So you may be able to buy it, but probably not to run it. Furthermore, a lot of them have been abused, so its hard to find a clean, cared-for example.

My 424v was a 1994 car, made after FIAT took over. FIAT introduced a lot in terms of quality control, so these later cars are a lot better than the earlier ones. My car had full service history and was totally original, meaning the previous owner hadnt been tempted into increasing the turboboost, which is an easy wasy of getting more BHP (and ruining the engine). In the year I had it, I had NO problems whatsoever - so I can definitely recommend it.

The Quattroporte is supposed to be even more reliable than the earlier cars, so if you can afford it, I think it would make a great everyday car. Still you have to be aware that although reliable, they still need more - and more expensive maintenance than your regular 164.

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 02:55 PM

Quote:
GTVMAN, do you enjoy conflict? it seems you get into quite a few arguments from what I can tell. All I know (which is very little) is that there are some exceptional FWD cars that have been made and are being made. GTVMAN, since when do you race your chop-top GTV in any "prominent" international racing competition? To be blunt, the Alfas we own are not meant for today's international races anyways, so why quibble over FWD vs. RWD? We drive Alfas and other cars like them for their style, handling, etc. I feel like a broken record, but it seems that this point is not being made apparent. To all of you, why dont we all calm down by going for a drive>? haha
"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle it without debate." - Joseph Joubert

"Before we can develop a complete understanding of an issue, we must consider other viewpoints that me be equally valid. One perpective is not enough to give us the whole picture. It is essential to seek other perspectives on the issues we are trying to understand. Learning about each of the perspectives on an issue helps us to see the arguments. An argument in this context means a reason - something that supports the way a person feels about an issue. Although some of these arguments may be more important to you than others, all of them are reasons to support the decisions. In order to consider all the perspectives of an issue, we must be open to the viewpoints of other people, and be willing to listen and exchange ideas with them. This process is called a discussion, or dialogue. Listening to others' points of view should always make us re-examine our own; we may not change our minds, but we will have a more valuable opinion because it has been examined!" - Mary Fjelstad

Daniel Katz
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 07:17 PM

GTVMAN,
I absolutely agree with "your" last comment. However, lack of knowledge with respect to the topic at hand and slightly disrespectful remarks are two things that are not illustrated in those quotes. Mastery in discussion is different than mastery in ignorance. I dont think you're belligerent or anything, just that you, as should all of us, need to be respectful of other's comments and not be so stubborn. I have no quote to come back with, just the idea that arguments depend as much on choice of words as they do on ideas.

Josh
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 08:42 PM

Hey GTVMAN

That was pretty neat. Which university are you attending?

Velocess

'67 Giulia Super
'08 Ducati 1098S
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-04-2003, 10:35 PM

I am attending Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, CA about 30 miles east of San Francisco... it is a small community college of about 25,000 people... We actually had a discussion about this quete that I took from the textbook in our English 116 class... I am sorry if I have offended anyone in anyway, I am sorry for being stubborn and will try to improve. I love this forum so much that I wait all day wondering what your guys's replies will be and when I get home and check the replies it is a satisfying and fullfilling thing that gives my life more meaning... I live and breathe italian cars, all I do besides homework, school, and work, is research Italian (and a little german) cars and go on the forum and talk to you guys... Thank you guys for making my life complete (at least nearly complete, it will only be complete once I have either a Montreal, TZ-2, Tipo 33 Stradale, or a Kanguru (the most unique of all the cars) replica...) Actually I have gotten so obsessed with Italian stuff that (besides eating Italian food all the time and using my alfa as a daily driver) I am gonna be taking Italian next semester. In about a year or so I will do a foregin exchange program to Italy and since I am a film student I will be making a documentary about the Italian car industry and try and interview all the original designers, directors, company heds, etc... that is if they haven't died by now... Thank You guys for making the sun shine brighter even though it is winter and hardly any sun in this 30-50* weather!

Daniel Katz
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:12 AM

GTVMAN,

Your first interview should be with Giorgetto Giugiaro!

'69 1750 GTV
Cogito, ergo Alfa Romeo
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:17 AM

There actually is an excellent interview with Giugiaro, and an overview of his and Italdesigns work in the latest Auto Italia magazine.

Jørgen

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by GTVMAN
... Actually I have gotten so obsessed with Italian stuff that (besides eating Italian food all the time and using my alfa as a daily driver) I am gonna be taking Italian next semester.
Did you ever see the movie Breaking Away?

The Italian car industry is an interesting topic for a movie, but something a bit more broad that I'd like to see someday is a book or documentary on Italian design in general--why is it so distinctively Italian, what makes it different from other countries' design? There must be something different about the training. They can even make a boxy Volvo look good while still looking like a Volvo. There are so many distinctive Italian industrial and fashion designers. And sometimes it's the little things. I remember when I was younger visiting an Alfa dealership in the mid or late 80s and marvelling over the vent outlets on a Spider, how wonderfully designed they were. Seems silly now that I think back on it, but still . . .

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 08:28 AM Thread Starter

italian design is all about " i dettagli" or the details, lil things that can go unoticed but truly make a difference in the overall design

a good example is when pininfarina puts his lil signature on the side of the car, it just makes the car look cooler, just like wearing versace shades

i remember that in the 80's volvo had a coupe designed by bertone and it instantly looked better than the other boxy volvos

Current: 89' Milano Gold(sold)
Next: 164 S

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:28 AM

You guys are right, I should just make a documentary on Italian Design in general, but with a main emphasis and focus on Cars... I also wear italian clothes too, I have a $1500 Versace leather jacket that I got as a present from my grandpa, it is the best jacket ever made! I have sleepness nights thinking about Italian cars... The one person I really want to interview is Franco Scaglione because he is my favorite designer of all time, but I think he is dead isn't he?

Daniel Katz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode