LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 04:46 AM

Thumbs up Than this..

This is it..
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 05:07 AM

I think this thread is getting a bit OT. Or maybe I'm the only understanding the topic as "other car, not Alfa - with the same budget" - not "dreamcar".....

Anyways, here goes:

My favourite coupe instead of the Junior at the same budget, Lancia Fulvia Coupe:

My favourite convertible, Fiat Spider:

My favourite saloon, Lancia Thema 8.32 (Ferrari V8 engine, but sadly enough FWD, being same platform as the 164)

Jørgen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 1300GT Junior
1971 2000 Spider (racecar!)
1964 Vespa Gran Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 05:49 AM

Ok

Well, here is the other option..
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 07:29 PM

yeah but the Lancia Fulva is FWD... bah...
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-01-2003, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

ya wats so bad about fwd afterall?

Current: 89' Milano Gold(sold)
Next: 164 S

Be warned though, Alfas can have a strange effect on owners; ‘Alfaholic’ a recognised condition among car enthusiasts
post #21 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 12:49 PM

Horrible handling... FWD vs. RWD... my alfa has a limited slip differential and a sway bar... a FWD car can't get positraction... every single formula one, stock car, or other race care that has won major races has been RWD or AWD... every company releases there higher sports models in RWD or AWD... you have a much higher chance of spinning out in a FWD car and you get a slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile times off the line, that is why the fastest drag cars are the ones that have all the power concentrated on the rear wheels, they do wheelies and then fly off and do an 8 second 1/4 mile... if it was FWD on that car you would not only spin out but you would be dead... check out the link it explains everything...

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/RWD.html
post #22 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 01:16 PM

RWD is great as long as you are driving your car in nice weather (i.e. not snow). If you drive a RWD car in snow, you're in for a interesting ride. FWD is much better in the snow, but I agree RWD is better performance wise.

Josh
post #23 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 01:54 PM

Yeah it snows reall well in teh san francisco bay area here... NOT... if it was snowing I wouldn't drive any sort of sports car in the snow period... but it will never snow in the bay area so there...
post #24 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 02:28 PM

Here's a (not altogether scientific) article on RWD vs FWD.

Why FWD sucks

That being said - 36 years of progress means my FWD '03 GTI 1.8T can thrash my RWD '67 Spider in just about every department (except fun and looks).

Nick
1967 Duetto 1600
post #25 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 02:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Alex Csank
It's funny how this argument goes around and around. The fact is that given the dynamics of each, RWD offers inherently better handling possibilities than FWD. Having said that, it is easy to see that FWD cars have been winning races for many, many years (the Mini Cooper, Lancia Fulvia, Honda Civic, Acura Integra and VW GTI are but a few examples of very fast and race winning FWD cars).

It is also clear that not all RWD cars have good handling (can a RWD '57 Chevy, a '75 Caddilac DeVille, or a 91 Crown Victoria handle?).

So, while it is true that RWD is easier to use in corner transition and provides the possibility for better handling, the small packaging of FWD means that a lighter weight car can be built, and it can handle also.

The Lancia that started this thread is an awesome car, which performed very well in it's time. Don't knock it until you try it!

Cheers,

An owner of only RWD Alfas!

Rev high! Alex 'Sandor' Csank
514-771-9513 President, Alfa Romeo Club of Canada (ARCC) www.alfaclub.ca
post #26 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:14 PM

those cars you mentioned won mabey local drag races... not races like formula one, nascar, or any of the real races... all the real race cars are RWD or AWD... just because the car is lighter doesn't mean it is better, FWD is cheaper, that is why so many companies make it, otherwise all cars would be RWD or AWD...
post #27 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:26 PM

Local drag races!?!?!?!

Check your work there friend!

post #28 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:30 PM

When has a honda civic or acura integra won a real world competition race? why do you think that all the real race cars that were meant for racing are RWD or AWD... because it is better! especially at high speeds and with fast accelleration...
post #29 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:32 PM

check the SCCA and Touring car records. In fact, Alfa won the European Touring Car championship last year with a FWD 156!

post #30 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-02-2003, 07:36 PM

GYVMAN, I am not a proponent of FWD cars and I don't mean to get into it with you about this issue, but please check the facts. FWD cars can be quite competitive and have been.

I prefer RWD or AWD myself, OK?

I just don't think you should come down about FWD without at least understanding the reality of how many have won at various types of real-world racing...and not just drags (in fact, drag racing is where they are the slowest!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode