post #122 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Platinum Subscriber

Very Nice!

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson
post #123 of 142 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Fiat 500C - A World Preview

A worldwide preview of the Fiat 500C presentation will take place at the next Geneva Motorshow, before its launch throughout Europe this spring. Evocative of "freedom and emotion", this original 'cabriolet' pays homage to the open-top 1957 model whilst offering leading-edge solutions for mechanical units, powerplants and interior comfort. All this in authentic Fiat tradition giving access to higher segment engineering and technology hitherto unheard of.
Featuring an innovative softtop - a fully fledged window to the sky - the new 500C comes in the same size as the basic model (3.55 m x 1.65 m x 1.49 m) and the same three powerplants: the 1.3 liter 75 HP Multijet Turbodiesel coupled to a 5-speed manual transmission and the two 1.2 liter 69 HP and 1.4 liter 100 HP gasoline engines, available with either manual or robotized Dualogic transmission. Providing different features, all three engine types are generously sized, have a brilliant temperament and offer high performance based on sophisticated technology. Standard features include stubborn reliability and environmental friendliness.
Moreover, as proof of Fiat Automobiles commitment to ecology and sustainable mobility, the new 500C incorporates the innovative “Start&Stop” system, a device controlling momentary engine shutdown and subsequent reignition. To this end, at every stop when shifting to neutral and releasing the clutch, the engine is switched off and then restarted simply by selecting a gear.
Created by the Fiat Styling Center and manufactured at the Tichy plant in Poland, the 500C is of the “open source” design, implying the addition of new functions to a highly successful existing product. Indeed, the Fiat 500C incorporates all the strong points of the basic model, namely top-of-segment safety features, 4-adult seat habitability and generous luggage space combined with excellent loadability also with the soft top fully open, thanks to a clever parallelogram hinge device.
A highly original exercise in design, the softtop of the Fiat 500C stands out for its refined electrically operated linkage and engineering solutions of great quality and finish, such as the glass backlight and the built-in center high mounted stop light. Available in three colors (ivory, red and black), this original soft top will be matched with several bodywork color schemes, two of which have been conceived specifically for the new car, i.e. a brilliant Pearl Red and a special Warm Grey typical of sports supercars. Last but not least, thanks to the adoption of the innovative sliding softtop combined with a styling concept which retains all-round protection, the Fiat 500C offers a delightful ride in any season of the year. All told, its many special features make this new car one of the best turned out cabriolet models currently on offer in the city-car segment.
The 500C is further proof of Fiat's undisputed leadership in this vehicle class where continuous innovation ensures that its position as the industry's standard is maintained. In fact the car sets new levels of in terms of comfort and safety, engineering and appointments whilst maintaining that unique and inimitable "Italian style". A new cabriolet is born which gives great excitement and utmost driving pleasure, combining captivating lines with the performance of flexible, environment-friendly engines.

Turin, 16th February, 2009

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[b]DJTaurus aka sakiss[/b]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 142 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Abarth Grande Punto SuperSport

A special Grande Punto Abarth “SuperSport” is making the scene at Geneva, garbed in Airfield Gray paintwork – the same color sported by the Scorpion’s historic racecars, and, as the story has it, taken from the planes based next to the brand’s original headquarters – enlivened by a racing-inspired livery.
Equipped with a 16-valve 1.4 liter engine pumped up to deliver 180 horsepower, with a wrenching 270 Nm peak torque at speeds as low as 3000 revs, the Grande Punto Abarth “SuperSport” racing version hits a top speed of 215 km/h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 7.5 seconds. In addition, a variable backpressure dual-mode exhaust system enhances engine sound, producing a distinctive throaty roar over 4000 rpm. With performance features like these, there can be no doubt that this is a car whose whole heart and soul is in racing.
Performance also benefits from a number of changes that the “esseesse” kit makes in ride height and trim attitude, giving the car a more solid stance with firmer, shorter springs, 215/40 R18 tires and specially designed 7.5 J X 18 alloy wheels. The kit puts the car into a real sprinter’s crouch, dropping its roll center by 20 mm. Just as important, the brake system features cross-drilled discs all round, together with high-performance front brake pads.
On the inside, the showcar boasts Sabelt Abarth Racing leather-upholstered seats – lightweight and track-approved, as befits the car’s sporting spirit – and the Abarth Blue&MeTM MAP satellite navigator with telemetry capabilities developed with Magneti Marelli. This innovative device provides four different functions. The first – Monitoring – displays the main in-car parameters (engine rpm, vehicle speed, engaged gear) acquired and transferred by the Blue&MeTM system to the PND Portable Navigation Device via Bluetooth. The Track function, accessible if the driver is on one of the circuits stored on the device’s SD memory card, displays a set of additional information such as the car’s location on the track (provided by GPS) and lap times. The third function – Configuration – makes it possible to store telemetric data for a route and associate them with a personalized session identified by the driver’s name, circuit and date. Stored information can be easily retrieved and analyzed later with the fourth, Analysis, function.

http://www.fiatautopress.com/downloa...ort_ST_GBR.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #125 of 142 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

post #126 of 142 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:01 PM

Abarth 500 SS video from the Bologna Italy car show 2008 (in Italian)

Fiat Abarth 500 SS - Bologna Motorshow2008 - AOL Video
post #127 of 142 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 AM

Is it only me or does anyone else have a small issue with this thread.

To my mind it seems like a Fiat advertorial, from Fiat's marketing department. From my perspective, I dont get it since If it is all about Fiat, then why is it merely only about the brand new models rather than the huge range of Fiat models of the past. This is where Fiat's heritage lays not in the new models.

Secondly, when and if anyone posts any comments, the person posting all this guff on new Fiats never actually responds.

Therefore what on earth is the point of this thread. If you wish to know about the new Fiat models why not simply go to Fiat's website or your local dealer website in your country.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fiats, I have had my '69 AC 124 sport for 29 years and will never sell it, similarly I have driven heaps of different model Fiats over the years, I have even driven a new 500, but frankly the information being posted here on this thread is largely meaningless. My opinions for what it is worth. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
years"
post #128 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Fiat Punto Evo

http://put.edidomus.it/auto/mondoaut...o_Evo_04_b.jpg

Punto Evo, world debut

The Fiat Punto Evo is here. The Punto Evo is the evolution of the Grande Punto that is destined to repeat the success of its predecessor and become the new pacesetter for innovation, safety and style, thanks to its many innovative features.
The epithet “Evo” identifies a level of car design that is capable of satisfying even the most demanding customers in terms of technology, driving pleasure and respect for the environment.

Technical innovation
The Punto Evo expresses its technical excellence first and foremost through a wide choice of engines, including petrol units equipped with the revolutionary MultiAir system and second generation Multijet diesels.
Developed and patented by FPT – Fiat Powertrain Technologies – MultiAir technology will gradually be adopted by all engines fitted to Fiat Group cars. The heart of MultiAir is a new electrohydraulic valve management system that reduces fuel consumption by controlling air directly via the inlet valves (without using the throttle). MultiAir reduces emissions (thanks to improved combustion control) and also improves performance by boosting both power and torque.
Similar results have been achieved in diesel versions by adopting second generation Multijet units across the range. These engines incorporate new common rail injectors that, thanks to a balanced hydraulic servo-valve, control the quantity of fuel injected into the combustion chamber with improved precision, and in a faster and more flexible sequence than in the past.
The choice of engines available for the Punto Evo is the most complete and ecological in this market segment, and even includes two alternative fuel engines, a methane and an LPG unit.
The new Punto Evo is even equipped with the latest version of the Blue&Me system. “Blue&Me–TomTom” is a fully integrated infotainment system that lets you manage telephone, navigation and information functions on a practical colour touch-screen. The system is the result of a partnership between Fiat Group Automobiles and TomTom, European leader in portable navigation systems, and integrates with the car’s other systems thanks to the Blue&Me system developed in conjunction with Magneti Marelli.
“Blue&Me–TomTom” is fixed in an easily accessible and safe position (without awkward cables), from which it can nevertheless be removed for other purposes. The system can also be operated from controls on the steering wheel and by voice recognition. The system incorporates an exclusive “Car Menu” to let you display information on the car and all connected devices:
“ecorive Info”: real time information on your driving style and suggestions for reducing environmental impact and optimising consumption by changing gear and using the accelerator to suit the nature of the route;
all trip information on a single screen: distance travelled, consumption and autonomy;
fuel reserve warning and directions to the nearest service station;
places of interest, Fiat Group service centres and methane and LPG filling stations;
information from the mobile linked to Blue&Me, (e.g. phonebook and current call).

Respect for the environment
At Fiat, innovation means greater respect for the environment too. In fact, the environment is one of the main issues driving product development, and ensures that the Fiat range is the greenest in Europe. The Punto Evo is no exception to this rule.
The new MultiAir engines prove the point. Compared to a conventional petrol engine of the same size, a MultiAir engine develops more power (up to 10%) and torque (up to 15%), while consuming significantly less (up to 10%) and emitting less CO2 (up to 10%), less particulates (up to 40%) and less NOx (up to 60%).
In the same way the second generation of Multijet diesel engines also offers more accurate combustion, with benefits for consumption, emissions, NVH and drivability. This has been achieved through a new common rail injector that modulates fuel injection into the combustion chamber and gives, for the Euro 5 engines, an improvement of around 2% in consumption and CO2 emissions on the homologation cycle, and a reduction in NOx emissions of up to 30%.
Still with reduced consumption and emissions in mind, the new Punto Evo will also offer Start&Stop, the system that switches off the engine when you stop and restarts it for you to move off again (at traffic lights for example). Start&Stop will be standard on all Euro5 petrol and diesel engines.
The methane-fuelled engine is not only the most ecological dual fuel engine in segment B, producing only 115 g/km of CO2, but is also the most economical thanks to record running costs of under 4 Euros per 100 km. Among other advantages, methane-fuelled engines benefit from the highest government incentives in Italy: 5,000 Euros if combined with a contribution for scrapping your old car.
Then there is the LPG-fuelled version, developed using Fiat’s longstanding experience in alternative fuels to respond to the extraordinary growth seen in this market. The Punto Evo GPL boasts record autonomy of 1,500 km in the extra-urban cycle, and running costs up to 50% lower than a petrol equivalent.

Safety
The Punto Evo is designed and built to achieve the highest levels of safety. The model boasts a large number of safety systems (standard or optional depending on market and version) starting from those dedicated to passive safety: 2 front airbags, 2 front side airbags, 2 window bags and a driver knee airbag (the Punto Evo is one of the few cars in this segment on which this device is standard on all versions).
The Punto Evo is also one of the few cars in its class equipped with adaptive 'cornering' front fog lights that switch on automatically with dipped headlights according to the angle of steering. And don’t forget that the new Punto Evo also guarantees constant and reliable road holding thanks to electronic dynamic control systems for braking and steering. The ABS system that is available across the complete engine range incorporates EBD (Electronic Brake force Distribution), ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and Hill-holder to help with hill-starts.

Style and comfort
The Punto Evo is more stunning than ever thanks to the work of Fiat’s Centro Stile. In particular, the interiors of the new model have been completely redesigned to represent the most evolved expression of Italian style, with top quality materials and superb attention to detail. The result is a bright and elegant cabin with completely renewed fascia, seats, storage compartments and instrumentation.
On the outside, both the front and the rear have been thoroughly restyled, as shown by the attractive lines of the new bumpers and the incorporation of innovative and original headlights and taillights. The latest design has also “stretched” the car to a total length of 406 centimetres, so that its winning characteristics of driver and passenger comfort remain unchanged. The other external dimensions remain the same, with a width of 169 cm, a height of 149 cm and a wheelbase of 251 cm.

post #129 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Would love to see that over here.

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson
post #130 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super1600 View Post
Is it only me or does anyone else have a small issue with this thread.

To my mind it seems like a Fiat advertorial, from Fiat's marketing department. From my perspective, I dont get it since If it is all about Fiat, then why is it merely only about the brand new models rather than the huge range of Fiat models of the past. This is where Fiat's heritage lays not in the new models.

Secondly, when and if anyone posts any comments, the person posting all this guff on new Fiats never actually responds.

Therefore what on earth is the point of this thread. If you wish to know about the new Fiat models why not simply go to Fiat's website or your local dealer website in your country.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Fiats, I have had my '69 AC 124 sport for 29 years and will never sell it, similarly I have driven heaps of different model Fiats over the years, I have even driven a new 500, but frankly the information being posted here on this thread is largely meaningless. My opinions for what it is worth. Dave
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Thanks for saving me the extra keystrokes!

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #131 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Thanks for saving me the extra keystrokes!
I don't want to go to the Fiat website and deal with a bunch of videos and animations. I can just get a quick summary here. Once in a while, I can find out what Fiat is working on but has yet to announce. Also, given some of the dumb replies to what are basically just press releases, I wouldn't bother writing a response either.
post #132 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Abarth 695 TRIBUTO Ferrari

Quote:
The Abarth 695 “Tributo Ferrari” makes its world debut at Frankfurt. This new performance version of the Abarth 500 confirms the link between Abarth and Ferrari based on shared values that include a passion for performance, a racing soul, attention to detail and Italian style.
Abarth and Ferrari are two great names that have contributed, with conviction and dedication, to the legend of Italian racing that is known around the world. The legendary men behind both marques followed very similar careers: first drivers, then tuners and finally heads of companies that command genuine respect in the world of motor racing. These extraordinary men were associated in the past: in 1953, for example, a unique Ferrari-Abarth was born, the Ferrari 166/250 MM Abarth. The car raced in various international trophies including the legendary Mille Miglia. The tie between the two companies has been reinforced above all by the exhaust systems designed by Abarth specifically for the cars built at Maranello: numerous exhaust systems have been made for various Ferrari models, some of which have won World Championship titles.
The two brands have recently renewed their collaboration. The first result of this was the supply of a limited and numbered series of Abarth 500’s to Ferrari’s European dealers in recent months for use as “courtesy cars”.
Now, attention turns to the new Abarth 695 “Tributo Ferrari”, an exclusive vehicle that not only enables Abarth to extend its range by entering into the luxury sports car market, but also offers Ferrari customers a small but exciting small car for all their mobility needs, including practical urban mobility.
The new Abarth 695 “Tributo Ferrari” is distinguished by a number of stylistic changes, but more importantly by substantial modifications developed by Abarth and Ferrari engineers. The engine, for a start, is a 1.4 Turbo T-Jet 16v, tuned to develop over 180 HP. This is combined with an MTA (Manual Transmission Automated) electromechanical gearbox with race-inspired paddle gearshift that makes full use of the engine’s performance by reducing gearshift times.
To improve acceleration, the car is fitted with performance tyres on 17’’ alloy wheels featuring a design inspired by Ferrari wheels. The suspension and braking systems have also been strengthened to cope with the extra power: 284 mm multi-section discs with fixed four-piston calipers, both by Brembo, and special shock absorbers let you enjoy performance in total safety.
And of course there is a “Record Monza” variable back-pressure “dual mode” exhaust, designed to improve engine performance and deliver an inspiring sound over 3,000 rpm.
On the outside, the car is finished in Scuderia Red, with carbon fibre door mirrors and with details like the wheels and rear air intakes in Racing Grey. This new Abarth is equipped with Xenon headlights with dipped and main beam functions for improved light emission and excellent efficiency under all weather conditions. Made by Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting, these elements deliver three times the light intensity and duration of standard halogen lamp headlights.
The interiors are also personalised and demonstrate the attention to detail and the sporting style that are common to both brands. “Abarth Corsa by Sabelt” seats are fitted and finished in black leather with a shell and seat base in carbon fibre. These seats offer a perfect blend of racing characteristics – light weight (10 kg less than the standard seat) and the ability hold the body steady against lateral and longitudinal forces, thanks to body support elements filled with crush-resistant foam – with the ergonomics and comfort of road seats.
The black leather steering wheel is characterised by red leather inserts and a tricolour hub on which the MTA gearshift paddles are mounted, while the instrument panel is specially made by Jaeger, and inspired by typical Ferrari instrumentation. Attention to detail has gone into the floor too: the foot wells are covered entirely in non-slip aluminium and the racing pedals are personalised with the Scorpion logo. The interior is embellished with other details too, like special kick plates and a plate bearing the vehicle series number.

Technical specifications

Engine
• 4 cylinders in line, 4 valves per cylinder, 1368 cc.
• Power output: over 180 HP at 5,750 rpm
• Peak torque 230 Nm at 3,300 rpm.
• Turbocharged with fixed geometry Garrett 1446 turbocharger.

Transmission
• 5-speed C510 gearbox.

Suspension
• Front: MacPherson struts with anti-roll bar.
• Rear: wheels interconnected through a torsion beam with anti-roll bar.
• Lowered sports setup with special shock absorbers

Steering system
• Electric power steering with SPORT setting.

Brakes
• Brembo fixed front calipers with 4 x 36/40 mm pistons
• Self-ventilated, multi-section front discs, diameter 285 x 28 mm.
• Floating rear calipers with single 34 mm pistons.
• 240 mm diameter x 11 mm rear discs.
• HP 1000 high performance front brake pads

Wheels
• Special Abarth Style 7”x17” ET 35 wheels
• 205/40 ZR17 tyres.

Ecology
• Complies with Euro 5 EEC-F5 standard. CO2 emissions 155 g/km

Performance
• Top speed – 225 km/h.
• Acceleration 0-100 km/h in under 7 seconds

post #133 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:29 PM

IMO, marketing everything as a "Ferrari" is just obnoxious.
post #134 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Fiat manufacturing boss inspects Chrysler plants

Quote:
September 17, 2009 - 4:31 pm ET
DETROIT -- Fiat Group manufacturing guru Stefan Ketter inspected Chrysler's Sterling Heights Assembly Plant in suburban Detroit this morning as part of a series of North American plant visits to improve Chrysler quality and efficiency, UAW officials said today.

Ketter, 50, wanted an update on how implementation of Fiat's manufacturing system is progressing, said Bill Parker, president of UAW Local 1700, which represents hourly workers at Sterling Heights.

The plant makes the Chrysler Sebring and Avenger mid-sized sedans and the Sebring convertible.

Parker said that this afternoon, Ketter was scheduled to visit Chrysler's Warren Truck assembly plant, where the Dodge Ram pickup is produced.

A union source at Chrysler's Belvidere, Ill., plant said Ketter inspected the plant Tuesday. Yesterday, he was at the Brampton, Ontario, plant, the source said.

Belvidere builds the Dodge Caliber small car and Jeep Compass and Patriot crossovers. Brampton makes the Chrysler 300 and 300C sedans and the Dodge Charger and Challenger muscle cars.

A Chrysler spokesman declined to comment.

Parker said he was optimistic after Ketter's four-hour visit today that the Sterling Heights plant would stay open beyond the current Sebring production run through December 2010.

Ketter asked questions about the plant's paint shop, which needs to be replaced or expanded at a cost of at least $300 million, Parker said. The UAW president said he took that as an indication that Fiat is open to putting new product into the plant or extending the current Sebring run beyond 2010.

Parker has organized a Sept. 25 rally with city and county officials to urge Fiat to keep the plant open.

This week at the Frankfurt auto show, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne said Chrysler had slipped competitively before Fiat took control of the company as part of Chrysler's emergence from bankruptcy protection this spring.

"We were surprised by how little had been done in the past 24 months," Marchionne said. "It will be a slow progress in the beginning, but we will see significant improvement in 2010."

Ketter, who was born in Brazil, rose through the ranks at BMW, Audi and Volkswagen before joining Fiat in 2004. At Volkswagen he was responsible for quality and service at Volkswagen of America.

The UAW's Parker said he has seen firsthand evidence of the Fiat manufacturing system at work. He said it is designed to get at the root causes of inefficiency.

For example, a rack used at Sterling Heights to bring parts to the assembly line was damaged about three weeks ago and replaced before the next shift came to work, Parker said. Before Fiat, that would have been the end of the story, Parker said.

But the Fiat system demanded that a reason be presented why the rack was damaged in the first place so future problems could be avoided, he said.

post #135 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:54 PM

An interesting (recent) look at Marchionne and how he is running Chrysler and Fiat

Marchionne Managing Chrysler Means 5 Mobile Devices in Backpack - Bloomberg.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode