Lancia Fulvia 1.3s questions - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Lancia Fulvia 1.3s questions

I'm currently stationed in Italy and right now I have a 1968 Fiat 500F that is getting fully restored and converted into an Abarth 695. A couple of days ago I got to drive a freind's Fulvia 1.3s coupe and fell in love with it. So now I'm in the market of getting one here in Italy to take back to the states with me, I have already looked a a couple of solid ones that cost around 5000 euro (around $7000 US).

My question are:
What things should I be aware of when looking at the cars and test driving them?
How hard is to get parts for this cars in the US?
I was thinking about using the car as my daily driver, Is that a bad idea?

I really like the Fulvia a lot. I was actually going to buy a Classic Mini Copper and decided not to get it after I drove my friend's fulvia and fell in love with the car. I love how the car sounds and the way it handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:42 PM

I have a 1967 1.2 Fulvia Coupe that I use as a daily driver. It is far from perfect, but I just love everything about it. I have put 10,000 miles on it since getting it less than a year ago.

Parts are now very available through lalancia.com, Adan who runs it is just awesome to deal with.

Ed L will give more input into specific things to look out for, but for me it's good brakes, solid engine with no obvious issues and overall complete car with no critical rust issues. (mine still has lots of rust but nothing I can't live with at the moment).

Mine's a 1.2 and I do wish it was a 1.3, but I'll bore it out once the engine craps out.

Gets a little warm in the car on super hot days but 90% of the time here in Southern CA that is not a big problem.

email me direct seth at carmichaelfilms dot com I'd love to see what you are finding.

Best

Seth

1960 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe 2.5, 1967 Fiat Moretti Sportiva, 1967 OSI 20m TS, 1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.2, 1968 Lancia Flavia 1.8i
post #3 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thaks for the response, roght now I'm looking online on an Italian site that is like craigslist in the states. I looked at one today and I noticed that the car was red but the engine compartment was black and the seller told me that the previous owner painte it red. The car was complete and drove really nice. The only rust I found was some rust bubles under the left rear window. The crome trim was oxidated but I'm sure that eill buff out. I did not like that it was painted a different color and also they added a radio to it and they made holes in the door panels and the rear panels for speakers and they made holes on the wooden dash to fit the radio. I will have to get new panels and dash trim to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:42 PM

Sounds pretty good for 5000 eu, but just remember that shipping will cost 2-3k usd with paperwork and $15k will get you a very good car here in the US if you are not in a hurry. I know of one right now that's available for 14k with a recent full mechanical restoration no rust, just aging paint (but only 7 years old).

1960 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe 2.5, 1967 Fiat Moretti Sportiva, 1967 OSI 20m TS, 1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.2, 1968 Lancia Flavia 1.8i
post #5 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:02 PM

It's really about rust, everything else can be fixed like any old car. Even rust can be fixed but the cost?
Look very close where the front subframe mounts to the chassis and also the sills.
The Fulvia is very reliable. I run a Fulvia about once a week, but not as many miles as scarmike. When I got my car I replaced all hoses, fuel pump and rebuilt the carbs.
In 9 years of ownership I have only had to routine maintenance with the exception of rebuilding my generator.
My car has 140000 km on the clock, it does smoke a little but does not consume much oil. At some point I will rebuild the engine but right now it's just too much fun to drive.
I also bought my car from Italy.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #6 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jota69 View Post
I'm currently stationed in Italy and right now I have a 1968 Fiat 500F that is getting fully restored and converted into an Abarth 695. A couple of days ago I got to drive a freind's Fulvia 1.3s coupe and fell in love with it. So now I'm in the market of getting one here in Italy to take back to the states with me, I have already looked a a couple of solid ones that cost around 5000 euro (around $7000 US).

My question are:
What things should I be aware of when looking at the cars and test driving them?

I really like the Fulvia a lot. I was actually going to buy a Classic Mini Copper and decided not to get it after I drove my friend's fulvia and fell in love with the car. I love how the car sounds and the way it handles.
Spend more money on a better car. You should be able to find the one you want that has been well taken care of that is really nice that would be sold in the US when you get it here for the high teens. There is a vast difference in presentability between a real nice car and just a driver and the cost of that differential is maybe 3000-4000 more Euros which in the scheme of things is chump change and will pay dividends later. It's much better economics to keep a good car nice than to try to make improvements to a lesser car to that level. I like my S2 and I would stick to that segment. Some purists like the S1 but I'm not qualified to comment. Where is home going to be in the US? Good luck

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-06-2012 at 08:07 PM.
post #7 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm not worried about shipping since I can ship it with the military for around $500. I still have a year left here so I'm not in a hurry to buy and will keep looking until I find tha perfect one. Home in the US will be Florida
post #8 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:35 AM

jota69,

If it's well sorted a Fulvia can indeed be used as a daily driver. Scarmike's not the only one to do so in California; Shaun Pond runs his S1 1.3 in the Bay Area.

Here's a road test guide you may find useful:
Weernink Fulvia.pdf

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #9 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
jota69,

If it's well sorted a Fulvia can indeed be used as a daily driver. Scarmike's not the only one to do so in California; Shaun Pond runs his S1 1.3 in the Bay Area.

Here's a road test guide you may find useful:
Attachment 236305
Great info, thanks
post #10 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
The only rust I found was some rust bubles under the left rear window.
This would be enough to kill the deal for me. When you see a car with just a few rust bubbles you are quite likely to find a horror inside the panel. Rust starts from the inside out and, in particular, when you find rust around the windshield that generally means there will be substantial rust underneath. What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceburg. You'd be lucky to fix that for under $1000US.

As Divot said, spend more money on a better car. In fact, I'd suggest that you buy the best car you can find. Fortunately, you are in a location where there is a good populatiion of Fulvias so you'll be able to find one that's perfect. Buy that one.

How mechanically oriented are you? It really helps to know what you are looking at when you find one of these cars. In any event, if you find a car it's in your interest to have someone who knows Fulvias to look it over. (Hey, you're in Italy . . . ) Another point about buying a perfect car is that you can make your intent clear from the first. If you buy through a broker like Lugazzo and insist on a perfect car there's less wiggle room and they (probably) won't waste their time showning you dreck.

I don't own a Fulvia . . . yet. But, as soon as I thin the herd a bit and find one I like I'll buy it.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 02-07-2012 at 07:58 AM.
post #11 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

I'm wont be buying that one because of the rust and because of the color change, since its not the stock color I wont know for sure what kind of stuff its under that paintjob. I'm looking at a couple more cars this weekend. I willl take pictures this time and post them to get your opinions.
post #12 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
I'm wont be buying that one because of the rust and because of the color change, since its not the stock color I wont know for sure what kind of stuff its under that paintjob. I'm looking at a couple more cars this weekend. I willl take pictures this time and post them to get your opinions.
we love spending other people's money.. I assume you are USAF and going back to McDill or Tyndall?
post #13 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
post #14 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:54 AM

I think €5000 is in that horrible area where you might get a bargain or you might get a horror. I would echo the advice of some to look for something in a higher bracket (up to €10,000 for a 1.3). There are enough good cars in that range in Italy to not take the risk.

Rust in the rear window area could be surface (scratches from the trim clips) or it could be from water getting in around the seal which means the base of the B pillar wants checking (double skinned assembly).

As has been said, a good one is a practical everyday car.

1969 Lancia Fulvia Fanalone
post #15 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:

My question are:

Don 't make the terrible mistake to think that, just because you're in Italy, you'll pay the car less than you'd do in USA.
As others suggested, spend 3-4k more than the car you found, and probably you'll save the double in the next future.

Francesco

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode