Lancia Fulvia 1.3s questions - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:05 AM

Berlinas are excellent cars, but as recommended drive one - different feel to the coupes. The one to have in my opinion is an S1 1.3 GTE, the others are also excellent and don't be put off by the column change some of them have.

1969 Lancia Fulvia Fanalone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:38 AM

Since you brought it up.. and this is an Alfa Bulletin board.. and you are in the shopping mode... don't pass up an opportunity to drive a 1.3 or 1.6 or even a 2.0 Giulia Super if you think the 4 doors is something that clicks. These have become very collectable and desired in the US. It's not by accident that the police drove them in Italy in the 60's and 70's. As a reminder, they are RWD v. FWD on the Lancias, if that matters to you. I own a both a Super 1.3 and a Fulvia Coupe 1.3S and neither will be parted with and both delightful to flog.
post #33 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
Since you brought it up.. and this is an Alfa Bulletin board.. and you are in the shopping mode... don't pass up an opportunity to drive a 1.3 or 1.6 or even a 2.0 Giulia Super if you think the 4 doors is something that clicks. These have become very collectable and desired in the US. It's not by accident that the police drove them in Italy in the 60's and 70's. As a reminder, they are RWD v. FWD on the Lancias, if that matters to you. I own a both a Super 1.3 and a Fulvia Coupe 1.3S and neither will be parted with and both delightful to flog.
How hard is it to get parts for the fulvia in comparison to the alfa?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 PM

If you are familiar with Moss Motors and Victoria British, in the US, then the sources for Alfa parts are about comparable as they have full catalogs, 50-60 pages and websites-- one in Colorado, Centerline Products (Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums) and one in Virginia, International (Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums). Lancias are quite a bit specific to one or two small but capable suppliers dealing exclusively with these cars and not FIATS that are one man operations. They have provided adequate service to me but it is not what I would say is as compatible as the Alfa network of suppliers. Let's put it directly-- neither marque is going to be supported by Pep Boys or Auto Zone. The notable difference is costs for Lancia parts will be quite a bit higher and maybe a longer lead time if you are forced to go to the continent to source something. There's always E-bay to find sources too, but it would most likely be Italian E-bay. If you are willing to put up with headaches keeping a Mini on the road, neither marque should faze you. There is a certain amount of rat-holing maintenance pieces that are just part of the game. You just deal with it. When the unexpected happens, the Alfa parts will be easier to find (more plentiful) and cheaper as a rule.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-09-2012 at 01:20 PM.
post #35 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

That is my fear about the fulvia, thet the parts will not be available so easy in the states and I want to use the car daily
post #36 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM

Let's face it.. it's not your father's Oldsmobile. Daily use is great but if it is the only mode of transport in your family..let's put it this way, if you didn't have a motor pool to fix the Tahoe in Sicily where would you be if it broke.. up **** creek works in all languages.
post #37 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

It will not be my only mode of transportation, but I like duying cars to drive them and not to have them as decoration in the garage so if it needs something fixed I would like to be able to get the parts fast to get it back on the road

Last edited by jota69; 02-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
post #38 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM

I really don't think there will be serious issues waiting for regular maintenance type parts, if something serious goes wrong it might take a week or two, but I have not had any issues ever since Adan started lalancia.com. He is great at sourcing parts he doesn't stock very fast. Obviously Lancia doesn't have the level of aftermarket support that Alfa does, but it's not bad at all.

1960 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe 2.5, 1967 Fiat Moretti Sportiva, 1967 OSI 20m TS, 1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupe 1.2, 1968 Lancia Flavia 1.8i
post #39 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'm really undecided about getting the coupe or the berlina. I will drive both and see wich one I like the most
post #40 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

What is the market value for this cars in the US? Is it comparable to the alfas?
post #41 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 03:53 AM

In my judgement your question is a bit premature. You better drive them first and there really isn't a legitimate common Alfa to compare to a Fulvia. The GTV comes close but not really. Supers command more than the Lancia Berlinas as a rule.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-10-2012 at 03:58 AM.
post #42 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
In my judgement your question is a bit premature. You better drive them first and there really isn't a legitimate common Alfa to compare to a Fulvia. The GTV comes close but not really. Supers command more than the Lancia Berlinas as a rule.
The reason I ask is because here in Italy the fulvia 1.3 coupe and the berlinas are in the same price range. The fulvia HF and the montecarlo are in the gtv price range. I was wondering wht will be the market value for this cars in the US?
post #43 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jota69 View Post
The reason I ask is because here in Italy the fulvia 1.3 coupe and the berlinas are in the same price range. The fulvia HF and the montecarlo are in the gtv price range. I was wondering wht will be the market value for this cars in the US?
I'll beg off... with this stab- Fulvia Coupes are worth as much as 3 times a Berlina in the States. Neither will be found in Auto Trader; no more than three or four Coupes offered a year. Berlina's almost never. Monte Carlos are called Scorpions here and are detuned and they have little intrinsic value unless they are in exceptional condition. HF's? that can be a trick question.. There are many iterations with a wide range in value. GTV's? there can be literally dozens on the market at one time in a wide range. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure I pissed off someone.
post #44 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

So if I get a fulvia It will be a good idea to get the coupe instead of the Berlina because it will be worth more?

Are there any performance parts available for this engines? I know there are tons of stuff for alfas and also on alfas you can do an engine swaps from other alfa models. I know an engine swap for the 1.3 will be getting a 1.6 but I'm sure those engines are really hard if not impossible to find
post #45 of 146 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:04 PM

Cars make terrible investments. I never buy a car with an intent of it being worth more at some point. I buy the cars I like and want to drive.

Re: performance parts. For Alfa lots. A Giulia TI w/2.0 won its class in the '08 Carrera Panamericana and hit 149 mph on one stage. That's a little bit more grunt than my 1.3 Super but it's definitely possible. Fulvias are a bit more of a challenge, performance parts are avaliable. Be aware that neither of these cars is easy and, unless you can do the work yourself, be prepared to drop big money on a fast engine. Firgure $10k to start with.

Keep in mind that there were lots of Fulvias made, enough so that good one's can be found in Italy and elsewhere must easier than here in the US. You might find a hot rod but I'd be very careful buying such a car. 1.6 Fulvias are avaliable but be prepared to pay a significant premium for a good one.

Really, there's nothing wrong with a 1.3 Fulvia. Granted they aren't fast but they'll easily keep up with modern traffic and, best of all, they're a delight to drive. Find a pristine example, coupe or berlina, and just enjoy the ride.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 02-10-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode