Lancia Fulvia 1.3s questions - Page 10 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM

Although the Fulvia is 40yrs old, it is a compliment that it feels so modern, and it shouldn't belittle the car because the gearbox doesn't feel quaint, and a bit old fashioned.
It depends on how worn the linkages are on your car, but, as originally stated, I prefer the five speed. It is my opinion, and it suits the 1600 very well.

As for Alfa gearboxes, "rifle bolt precision" doesn't seem quite right.
Maybe it is just the ones I have driven, but they were a bit sloppy, more like stirring marbles in a bucket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:46 PM

I've driven both the 4-speed and the 5-speed. And in my case that means an S2 5-speed, I've been using an S2 berlina 5-speed in my 1.6 (I need to rebuild the S1 piggyback).

Based on that I've got to say I think you're both right; Richard's talking about a 1.3, and Antony's talking about a 1.6. And I prefer the 1.3 in S1 form, with the 4-speed, and the 1.6 with the 5-speed. The 4-speed is beautifully precise, and its leisurely long throw makes it perfect for the character of the S1 1.3. But it'd be just too slow the the reflexes of the 1.6.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #138 of 146 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-mm;

I am positive that my Fulvia would be a S1 1.3, preferably Rallye, ..
Thats what I bought. I did not want to spend the money for a 1.6HF and I really wanted a series 1 car. The car is an absolute jewel and after driving later cars I'm happy with the choice I made.
If money is no object then I'm sure a 1.6HF is the Fulvia to buy and it will also appreciate the most in the future (it's like the RS of the 911 world) but the 1.3 Rallye S is a good compromise, purity of design and affordability.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 04:00 PM

And NMMilano that Rallye S would have more of that old Lancia special feel. They`re old cars and Lancia made quirky interesting cars. As they are so old now might as well have the most quirky, "most Lancia" version. We`ve settled for a series 3 only because they are so thin on the ground here where I am but I would at the blink of an eye change for an earlier car.
Antony believe me a properly set up 105 Alfa gearbox has a lovely precise feel to it and was often referred to in the 60`s as a model for other manufacturers. They had an old fashioned long but very precise action very much like a bolt action in a very high quality rifle. A very tactile thing. Fords (English) single rail gearbox was another nice action but this was the first of the modern style gearchanges with a short modern action - they came out around 1967 - 68 and became the new standard.
As I said earlier a "good" car shouldn`t be judged just on performance figures but on the whole experience, it is a tactile and visual thing and Fulvias (and 105 Alfas) have this. There are always going to be faster cars and the increasing pace of technology is going to always make yesterdays performance leader a tortoise ultimately but good design, innovation sometimes, and "feel" are qualities that remain forever. We quibble about whether this engine or this gearbox is better but regardless of which Fulvia or 105 you choose you have got one fantastic, and still very useable car. If the truth is known I`d love to have one of every version of Fulvia and 105.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #140 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:18 PM

All things being equal (which of course they rarely are when you're shopping for a Fulvia), I'd want a 'non-S' 1,3 Rallye; I'd rather not have the vacuum brake booster.

Ed
post #141 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1,6 HF View Post
All things being equal (which of course they rarely are when you're shopping for a Fulvia), I'd want a 'non-S' 1,3 Rallye; I'd rather not have the vacuum brake booster.
Ed, are you sure all S had a booster?
Mine has been fitted with an series 2 booster and you are correct I would rather not have it, it's on "to do" list.
I have seen series one Rallye S with no booster and with remote mounted ( in the fender) booster.
I'm not positive how they came from the factory but I know what parts I need to convert to non booster.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #142 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
Ed, are you sure all S had a booster?
Mine has been fitted with an series 2 booster and you are correct I would rather not have it, it's on "to do" list.
I have seen series one Rallye S with no booster and with remote mounted ( in the fender) booster.
I'm not positive how they came from the factory but I know what parts I need to convert to non booster.
All Rallye 1,3S, whether S1 or S2, came with a vacuum booster mounted to the firewall, with the m/c mounted to the front of the booster. An S with any other configuration has been modified. They're fine without a booster, but if you remove the booster you need to swap the m/c for a pre-S m/c or the pedal pressure will be high.

Ed
post #143 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM

We`ve got the non-asisted (Dunlops) in our 1C & 2C, and the assisted (Girling) in the series 3 coupe and I would have to say the earlier brakes feel nicer. I feel they can be modulated better and you can feel through your foot everything the brakes are doing. You do have to use more force though which I can imagine if you were a female, or slighter build might not be the best - I can see why they went assisted and also why someone used to modern cars may consider the brakes didnt work properly as there is quite a bit of force required to stop really quickly.

Richard J
post #144 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't think you need any more proof than the fact that the S1 1,6HF has no booster.

Ed
post #145 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
- I can see why they went assisted and also why someone used to modern cars may consider the brakes didnt work properly as there is quite a bit of force required to stop really quickly.
A little off topic but my son is learning to drive and when he first drove one of my unassisted cars he said "what's with the brakes?, they feel so much better than the others cars"

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #146 of 146 (permalink) Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 PM

You son obviously has what I call "sympathetico", a feel for things mechanical. Some have it-most don`t.

Richard J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode