my "new" Flaminia GT! - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfavirusnz View Post
Kjell, are you aware that you can get alternators that fit inside the dynamo housing so that appearance and mounts remain the same? I admire the work involved with the pulley but that angle iron bracket looks ugly and unbecoming in a Lancia. Are you really going to leave it as it is?
I researched the alt in gen approach but heard mixed results
as far as long term reliability. As my priority is driving, yes I
will leave the bracket for now. Purists may cringe..........

Everything can be reversed in future.

Kjell "Shel" Nelin 61 Flaminia GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 100 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM

Ah, I hadn`t heard about questionable reliability- it seemed like a great idea that of getting greater power but retaining the original look.
You`ll have to excuse my criticism of your angle bracket but I`ve put the Flaminia on a bit of a pedestal - you have a car I aspire to but not exactly thick on the ground here and I`ve missed the one I probably had the best chance of getting for a sensible price and the only one I`m aware of over here (although I suspect there may be another in NZ) Nearest I`ve got to it is our Fulvias, a ser 1 Berlina, a 2C Berlina, and a series 3 coupe so very mindful of the high quality of engineering that these earlier Lancias reveal and your angle iron solution just grates I`m sorry. If you lived by me I`d make one up for you for free just to keep the integrity of a beautiful piece of engineering.

Richard J
'65 Giulia Ti, '69 GT Junior, 72 Spider, '74 2000 GTV, ,`00 156
post #93 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

throttle cable

On my way to visit a friend, the accelerator pedal stopped talking to the carburetor. I quickly realized that the cable had broken and called AAA for a tow.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kjell; 05-22-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-22-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

spring steel

The cable is just a piece of wire made of "spring steel".
The fastest route to a repair was to buy a universal choke cable
kit, and use it's piece of wire. After disassembling the end of the old cable, I bent the end of the new cable to accept the little pulley from the old cable.
Hopefully the new cable should be good for many years.
I will verify that there is a stop other than the cable itself to limit
stress on the cable at full throttle.
Attached Images

post #95 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:24 AM

Garage
That background looks surreal. How far did the tow truck have to drive to save you?

Looking for New Old Alfa Stock?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do it right or don't bother.
post #96 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

no far

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancho View Post
That background looks surreal. How far did the tow truck have to drive to save you?
I live in a very rural part of eastern California. Those are the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the background. I was 12 miles from home when the cable broke.

post #97 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM

Many moons ago (like 35 years...) was stuck on the side of the road in a Flaminia with a broken cable. Learned to carry some spare just in case. If you carry a spare, it will never fail again.
post #98 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM
improving
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Twenty years ago, the same thing happend to me, coming from a wedding party(fortunately not mine), wearing a dark suit and fine shoes. One of the shoelaces solved the problem for the remaining 400 kms.

I love the way you have repaired the cable/installed the original end. One or two of these small pulleys are part of my precious stock.

Only today I fixed a cable on my Flaminia convertibile in the same way. It was the last thing to do after a complete rebuild of the car. It now is almost as beautyful as your GT. Lancia Club Deutschland e.V. You may click on the photos to enlarge.

The website is in German, but there are quite a number of photos. Also click "Flaminia" at the left hand column of the homepage, there are some reports about my other Flaminias. If you find something interersting, just let me know, I will try a translation then.

Hubert
post #99 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedesco View Post
Twenty years ago, the same thing happend to me, coming from a wedding party(fortunately not mine), wearing a dark suit and fine shoes. One of the shoelaces solved the problem for the remaining 400 kms.

I love the way you have repaired the cable/installed the original end. One or two of these small pulleys are part of my precious stock.

Only today I fixed a cable on my Flaminia convertibile in the same way. It was the last thing to do after a complete rebuild of the car. It now is almost as beautyful as your GT. Lancia Club Deutschland e.V. You may click on the photos to enlarge.

The website is in German, but there are quite a number of photos. Also click "Flaminia" at the left hand column of the homepage, there are some reports about my other Flaminias. If you find something interersting, just let me know, I will try a translation then.

Hubert
Many thanks for the link to your pages, which are easily understandable through Google Translate. The colors you have chosen for your convertible are fantastic.

In ten days my 2.8 convertible will make its debut at the Greenwich Concours, almost exactly two years after purchase through Artcurial in Paris. Thereafter I will post some photos in a new thread, not to hijack this one.

Thanks to a sample kindly provided by Kjell I think we have a perfect match with the carpets. I spent quite some time with his car at the dealer before his purchase, and know that he is very fortunate to have acquired one of the most original examples remaining.

Don
post #100 of 100 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

nice website!

Hi Hubert, excellent website, Don is right Google does make it
somewhat comprehensible. I'll be spending time going through
it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode