my "new" Flaminia GT! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 100 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM

For the special bodied Flaminias like this one, think 911 prices; you'll find Flaminias up and down range. For Flavias, which are very different cars (although no less satisfying, IMHO), expect to pay a little less for a similar car. Zagatos tend to be the most expensive, for obvious reasons.

Restoring these cars can be a challenge, especially is they're rusty so be forewarned. Parts are not as easy to obtain as Alfas, for instance, but there are suppliers and you can find stuff with a little effort.

If you'll search the restoration thread, Daron Walker/Akitaman has an photo record of
an extensive body/chasis rebuilding of a very rusty Flaminia Zagato.

If you have reasonably good mechanical skills, all of these cars are delights to work on. They're very straightforward, although very Italian in logic, and you'll continually find beautiful little engineering features (the Flaminia fan is a proper airfoil, for instance) that you don't find on other cars.

I just noticed that there's a beautiful, black, original appearing, Flaminia Zagato Supersport on the Anamera site that looks to be in about the same condition of this Touring Flaminia. Expect it to be expensive, however.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 11-30-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

these can be alot of work

One reason I stretched to buy this one is that I did not want a project. To see what can be required to bring a marginal car around -

www.flaminiagt.co.uk

Kjell "Shel" Nelin 61 Flaminia GT
post #18 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Kjell, one thing that seems to suffer from sitting on this cars are the brakes. My car sat for close to 30 years, and this is the only area that has given me trouble, everything else works great but the brakes have been a pain.

Jim, even though I totally agree with your assessment, the one advantage the Touring cars have over the Zagatos and the Pininfarinas is the aluminum body, which spares a lot (not all) of the rust issues, so in that sense I would say that restoring a Touring car might be a tad easier than some of the others. Just my $.02

Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Zagatos have aluminum bodies, too, at least series 1 and 2. When it comes to restoration, I think all of them are hugely expensive, with only the Zagatos potentially justifying the investment given their value. Everything else still is a labor of love. And as usual, it probably is in the infinetly complex Lancia platform and highly complex mechanics. My personal experience was that a Flaminia is hugely expensive to maintain (If you cannot do most of the work yourself) and not that easy to set up the way they should be: Anything less than perfect significantly impacts the outstanding driving experience - and there is a LOT to do and think about.

What great car though. The cognosenti will secretly tell you that the Pininfarina models - Flaminia and Flavia - provide the best driving experience while being better built, less flimsy and usually more usable than their cousins from Zagato, Touring or Vignale. But don't tell that to the Zagato and Touring owners ...

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #20 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 03:16 PM

Kjell,
I add my congratulations, you've bought a beautiful car in seemingly perfect condition. I missed a similar low-milage car a number of years ago and I'm still grieving. I look forward to seeing it on the road.

Per the larger discussion, as I dislike typing, I'll keep this shortish. I prefer the phone, but it's not good for sharing with larger groups.

The different Flaminia models all have their pluses and minuses. I've found the PF Coupe to be the best for my needs. Especially a 2.8.

Both steel and aluminum oxidize, and the aluminum is the sacrificial element in this battery. Not a good thing at times. And steel doesn't dent as easily.

When the brakes are right they could stop a train. Your biggest problem will be tire contact patch. So downshift, keep the right pedal down and go around if you can...

They aren't Alfas. It can be expensive to get things right, if you're paying someone else to do it, but as for regular maintenance, once set up, I don't find them to be terribly demanding.

r-mm, where are you? I'm in California. PM me.
-Steve
post #21 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Kjell, there was a thread a few weeks back discussing tools in the Flaminia cars, and someone mentioned your car had a full set of tools and a correct jack, could you be so kind as to post a picture of them for reference?

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/othe...ml#post1066365

Thanks

Henry
post #22 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Kjell, there was a thread a few weeks back discussing tools in the Flaminia cars, and someone mentioned your car had a full set of tools and a correct jack, could you be so kind as to post a picture of them for reference?

Here is the link to the thread I mentioned.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/othe...ml#post1066365

Thanks

Here's what came with the car, some "modern" stuff in there
possibly from a Fulvia.
Attached Images

post #23 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 10:10 AM

Thank you!

Henry
post #24 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Thank you!
As you can see it is not complete.

post #25 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Yes, but it does provide additional information on what came in the tool pouch

Regards

Henry
post #26 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B24Spider View Post
When the brakes are right they could stop a train. Your biggest problem will be tire contact patch. So downshift, keep the right pedal down and go around if you can...
Oh my Gosh, who knew. Flaminias handle just like early 911s.

Henry, good to know for us

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #27 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
Oh my Gosh, who knew. Flaminias handle just like early 911s.

Henry, good to know for us
Hmmm, my 911 must be out of whack, it certainly doesn't corner like the Flaminia.....

Henry
post #28 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 05:42 PM

Congratulations Kjell. I examined this car at Heritage a month ago, and don't think you would ever find another that is comparable. The minimal mileage is well documented, and even the Italian plates are original. The underside and body are consistent with the low mileage, and the original carpets and upholstery are amazing. With careful detailing and after correcting a few things in the engine compartment, you have a very strong preservation class contender.

Henry, until now I haven't had time to post my photos and analysis of the tool kit on our other thread. I'll do so in the next day or two.

r-mm, after several years' search I now have a 2.8 3C Touring convertible in restoration at Omicron in England. These cars are considerably more complex, idiosyncratic and costly than Alfas. Kjell was wise to realize that condition of the bodywork is the preeminent concern.
post #29 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
I still can't believe I managed to pull this off.......
Couldn't have done it without the help of some ALC
folks in SoCal.
Bravo, well done Kjell! Enjoy every mile! The Flaminia GT was the car that first turned me on to Lancias- I really love them. We're quickly gathering a great assortment of Flaminias in Southern California- it would be terrific to get them together at some point.
Donald

[SIGPIC]Donald
'77 Lancia Scorpion
post #30 of 100 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

web page

The elegant lady has a new page -

1960 FLAMINIA GT

Last edited by Kjell; 02-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode