I know it's not Italian..... - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

I know it's not Italian.....

....but still, someone needs to save this car.

Other Makes | eBay

1957 Facel Vega FV4. Either the year or model is advertised wrong, because (I think) the FV4 started in 1958. Or maybe I'm wrong.

It may be French, but still. It's a great car and has a lot of potential, if you know where to get DeSoto parts.

To be honest, I'd take this over an Alfa.

No relation to the ad or seller, I just love Facel Vega. If I had the money, I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Last edited by milanolove; 05-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:51 PM

Yeah nice car, but dont know that Id take it over an Alfa of similar vintage (1900) and definitely couldnt handle the slush box.
The reserve will decide if its a viable project.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:14 PM

The FV4 was made for the US market in 1957 and 1958 only. It had a 354 or 392 Chrysler Hemi, instead of the smaller 301 used in the French market FV3.

Facels were great cars, loved by GP drivers and journalists for traveling all over Europe at high speed.

The nose of this car has been severely hacked; see this one for comparison:
HowStuffWorks "1954-1959 Facel Vega FV"

The auction is now at $19k, and it will need at the very least double that to restore it to amateur standards. For anything this scarce getting parts is a nightmare...

The sad reality is that restoration costs are so high that hardly any barn find is worth restoring professionally if the end result is worth less than a million . Last year I inquired about the restoration costs for a Ferrari 250GT PF coupe in amazingly similar condition, including the hacked nose. I phoned a shop which has a few 250s under its belt; I spoke to the shop owner who very honestly told me a ground up restoration on a 250 would start at $300K, if the car is complete - good ones sell for around $200K.

Restoring this Facel to the same standard would cost a little less because of the Chrysler drivetrain, let's say $250K. It's worth less than $100K in concours condition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
Yeah nice car, but dont know that Id take it over an Alfa of similar vintage (1900) and definitely couldnt handle the slush box.
The reserve will decide if its a viable project.
Good point. I'd rather have an older Alfa as well, restoration-wise. The bidding is already at almost $20,000, so I'm not sure.....
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Gotcha. So with the Chrysler parts, I assume parts would be slightly easier to find? To be honest, if I had the money to buy it, I wouldn't want to spend much over $50,000 on resto. It looks fairly solid and aesthetics don't mean much to me, but unwouldnt want to look like a junker. But then again, I'm completely broke and have no car or job, so technically my opinion doesn't matter on such.....matters. But hypothetically, it'd be fun and a good opportunity to own a nice car. I'd just use the Facel as a weekend driver, but with how the weather has been lately, I'd hate to spend that kind of money ona car and then have it end up in a tree the next day because of a tornado lol
I'm pretty surprised at how much the restoration on the Ferrari would cost. You can pretty much buy a new one with that kind of money, but where would the fun be in that? After I get a job, I wouldn't mind restoring an old round tail Spider.

Last edited by milanolove; 05-01-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Tags
facel vega

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode