First Pics, US Spec Fiat 500 (?) - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

First Pics, US Spec Fiat 500 (?)

Sure looks that way.

Left hand drive, orange front fender reflector.
Looks more agressive (if such a word can be applied to a 500 )
I like.
Red...like the one I pre ordered.

2011 Fiat 500 Sport: First Look, Gallery 1 - MotorAuthority

The Fiat 500 is just over two months from retail sale here in the U.S., and now Chrysler has revealed the first image of the new car in Sport trim. We've already known the 500 would get an upgraded platform for the U.S., and that up to four different models would be sold, but this is our first glimpse of the actual U.S.-spec car.

The photos come from @FiatUSA on Twitter, and unsurprisingly it looks like a Fiat 500. No real differences are immediately apparent, though Fiat says the car has an upgraded exterior, including 16-inch alloy wheels which give the little car a tougher stance to match the larger grilles, slightly flared fenders and unique front and rear fascia. Performance red brake calipers, chromed exhaust tips, and gloss-black shadow-line window trim, plus a redesigned lower side sill and available SkyDome power sunroof complete the aesthetic treatment.

Power specs for the new 500 Sport haven't been released, though Fiat says it's powered by a 1.4-liter Multiair turbocharged four-cylinder. A "sport tuned" suspension should give the 500 Sport a bit more bite than the standard car, and the whole package may add up to one of the most fun small hatches available. The Ford Fiesta and Mazda2 will certainly have some competition, at the least.

The Sport will be followed by three other models, the 500 Pop, 500 Lounge, and 500C cabrio. The Cabrio will come in early 2011, while the other three models will arrive by the end of the year.

Orders for the 500 will start sometime in December.
Attached Images

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:30 PM

Do we know who/how these are going to be sold? What dealers, and like Mini, will it be a seperate set up/shop? hopefully They won't just drop a few at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer and expect great sales. There should be teaser commercials and ads out already.

Gar Var.
'57 Vespa150
'62 Lambretta150
post #3 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuliettaLucine View Post
Do we know who/how these are going to be sold? What dealers, and like Mini, will it be a seperate set up/shop? hopefully They won't just drop a few at the Chrysler/Dodge dealer and expect great sales. There should be teaser commercials and ads out already.

The much anticipated meeting between Fiat North America and potential US Fiat dealers occurred Monday, August 30th. Details are emerging from the meeting, which left many dealers positively excited about the opportunity.

Potential Fiat dealers will be expected to start with small showrooms: 2,500-3,000 square feet, which is enough to display three or four cars. I've reported on this before here, and this confirms that a separate facility will not be required from the start.

This showroom size should be sufficient until the product portfolio expands during the next few years and a new facility will be warranted. Currently, the 500 sedan is scheduled to be sold at the end of this year, followed by the 500C convertible in the spring of 2011. Next is the 500 Abarth and 500EV (the 500EV is an all electric version due out in 2012).

Alfa Romeo is also scheduled to arrive in the US in 2012 and it is said that US Fiat dealers could be given first dibs on that franchise (this was discussed but not promised). By 2014, 7 Alfa Romeo models are expected to be sold and, when combined with the 4 or 5 Fiat models (a 4 door Fiat is also slated to arrive by then), will give new Fiat dealers a viable product mix.

As in Europe, the US Fiat 500 will also have a large number of ways it can be customized by its owner and it is expected that a large percentage of customers will pre-order cars just the way they like.

Fiat expects to initially sell about 50,000 Fiat 500s, that number rising to about 78,000 in 2013 once the other 500 versions make it into showrooms.
August 2010

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM

We bought the 10th Mini sold here in NY/LI back in '02 and did the whole ad thing and great sales campaign. Yes, it took a few years for sales to really catch but doing the seperate buildings and sales team was a perfect thing. BMW already had big spenders coming in so the Mini shop on the premisis was a great thing.
You can't just paint Italian colors in the 'corner' of your showroom and throw in 2-3 Fiats and expect great results when you have a Hemi across the carpet. This is the problem with the US. Fiat should be very seperate from anything Chrysler/Dodge.

Gar Var.
'57 Vespa150
'62 Lambretta150
post #5 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiuliettaLucine View Post
We bought the 10th Mini sold here in NY/LI back in '02 and did the whole ad thing and great sales campaign. Yes, it took a few years for sales to really catch but doing the seperate buildings and sales team was a perfect thing. BMW already had big spenders coming in so the Mini shop on the premisis was a great thing.
You can't just paint Italian colors in the 'corner' of your showroom and throw in 2-3 Fiats and expect great results when you have a Hemi across the carpet. This is the problem with the US. Fiat should be very seperate from anything Chrysler/Dodge.

Agreed. I think Fiat has taken that into consideration. They don't want customers walking in to a Chrysler showroom and having some hack salesman saying "Fiat? yeah, Vinny takes care of that, 'Yo' Vinny, someone here for a Fiat'"

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson
post #6 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 11:11 AM

When will they be here? And will they also offer the Abarth variant? By the way, can I still get my hands on a primers serie car that was offered to the Fiat-Lancia club?

Most importantly, will a Golden Retriever fit in the bag with the seats down? :-)

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #7 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:03 AM

Sam,

Have you heard anything regarding when we can expect delivery on the cars we ordered at FFO? I haven't heard anything from Chrysler/Fiat NA since the confirmation e-mail regarding our order.

John

'56 Abarth 750 GT MM; '58 Giulietta Spider Veloce; '59 Appia GTE; '62 Flaminia Convertible; '68 Fulvia Sport; '70 Moretti Sportiva S2; '82 Fiat Turbo Spider; '12 Abarth 500
post #8 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
When will they be here? And will they also offer the Abarth variant? By the way, can I still get my hands on a primers serie car that was offered to the Fiat-Lancia club?

Most importantly, will a Golden Retriever fit in the bag with the seats down? :-)
Should be able to order by end of December with delivery no later than March.
Yes, they will offer an Abarth in 2012.

Fiat Lancia Unlimited members will soon have another chance to order the first series cars. Not sure about anyone else. Of course you could always sign up for the club at Fiat-Lancia Unlimited

Yes, a Golden Retriever will fit just fine.

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by sjmst; 09-16-2010 at 08:10 AM.
post #9 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoj View Post
Sam,

Have you heard anything regarding when we can expect delivery on the cars we ordered at FFO? I haven't heard anything from Chrysler/Fiat NA since the confirmation e-mail regarding our order.

John
Hey, John. No , just that we should finalize the sale before 12/31.

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson
post #10 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Kendrick
It should be really exciting see'ing Fiats again! Although if i had to choose, i would've rather imported the Fiat Bravo than the 500.

Kendrick
2007 Toyota Corolla LE
post #11 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:24 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
Looks like the pre-orders sold out in less then one hour. I managed to order mine at 8:30 and the rest were gone by 9:20. Appears that FIAT has a hit on it's hands. I did prefer an Abarth but there is the possibility of getting an ABARTH kit to upgrade the standard 500.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #12 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Garage
My understanding is that all Abarth varients are add-on kits...which are shipped to the dealer in a wood crate and also turned over to the owner.

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)
post #13 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 07:47 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
In Holland I test drove a "standard" Abarth 500 and they also had on the lot an esseesse version that was special ordered by a customer. In addition they sell the esseesse kit.
Attached Images

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #14 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 08:42 AM

Garage
I like this and what's more important...

my wifey likes it.

Say's she wants one.
Attached Images

Ciao tutti

93 Spider (red)
87 Milano (not red)

Last edited by aldo; 09-17-2010 at 08:58 AM.
post #15 of 294 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldo View Post
My understanding is that all Abarth varients are add-on kits...which are shipped to the dealer in a wood crate and also turned over to the owner.
Only the SS (esseesse) kit comes in a crate, and you need a real Abarth to use it. The regular Abarths (with no Fiat badges anywhere on the car) are sold through special Abarth dealers. Yes, it's formally a car marque in its own right, and not just any old Fiat dealer are qualified to sell them.

Here's the Abarth SS Grande Punto kit spotted at a Lancia/Alfa/Fiat-dealer a few months ago. Numbered and everything

Note: I don't know if Abarths will be sold like this in the US.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode