First Pics, US Spec Fiat 500 (?) - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 04:46 PM

I agree, I wonder about the marketing when compared to the MINI launch, but I suppose the budget is a lot smaller. I did see Fiat USA announced the colors on facebook, which is encouraging. Mainly I worry that they're just marketing it to former Fiat owners... It would be like Apple marketing the ipad to people that bought the IIe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Platinum Subscriber

So, I just came back from the SF Auto Show...and I'm finding myself really disappointed with the new 500. I really wanted this car. I love the way it looks and it's size is perfect for living in a parking challenged city like I do. But man, is it cheap. One of the two display cars had Post - It notes with handwritten pleas: "DO NOT CLOSE HATCH! PLEASE!!" on it, and the driver's seat adjustment handle had snapped off completely. The back side of the rear seats are exposed metal - no carpeting or padding if you plan on folding them forward to lay something on top of them. Really shocking to me - and I've never owned a new car (my daily driver is my Alfa), so I'm pretty forgiving on luxury (heat/a/c/radio - all unheard of in my cars).
I don't know - this morning I really wanted this car more than anything (it would've been my first new car - ever), but tonight, I've totally lost interest. Still looks great, and I'll still be thrilled to see them on the road, but, wouldn't want to own one.
The stand itself still had no information whatsoever, no pamphlets, no posters, no display of "options", nothing...

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #48 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 06:20 AM

I was at the LA Auto show last week and stopped by the Fiat stand. The folks working the stand were completely uninformed about any details related to the Prima Edizione. They had three cars there. The stand looked great -- lots of people. I had to wait for several minutes to take my turn to sit in one of the cars. I felt the quality was presented itself pretty well -- especially considering these are preproduction show cars that get shipped all over the place and are abused by hundreds of showgoers at every stop.

'56 Abarth 750 GT MM; '58 Giulietta Spider Veloce; '59 Appia GTE; '62 Flaminia Convertible; '68 Fulvia Sport; '70 Moretti Sportiva S2; '82 Fiat Turbo Spider; '12 Abarth 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 294 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
So, I just came back from the SF Auto Show...and I'm finding myself really disappointed with the new 500. I really wanted this car. I love the way it looks and it's size is perfect for living in a parking challenged city like I do. But man, is it cheap. One of the two display cars had Post - It notes with handwritten pleas: "DO NOT CLOSE HATCH! PLEASE!!" on it, and the driver's seat adjustment handle had snapped off completely. The back side of the rear seats are exposed metal - no carpeting or padding if you plan on folding them forward to lay something on top of them. Really shocking to me - and I've never owned a new car (my daily driver is my Alfa), so I'm pretty forgiving on luxury (heat/a/c/radio - all unheard of in my cars).
I don't know - this morning I really wanted this car more than anything (it would've been my first new car - ever), but tonight, I've totally lost interest. Still looks great, and I'll still be thrilled to see them on the road, but, wouldn't want to own one.
The stand itself still had no information whatsoever, no pamphlets, no posters, no display of "options", nothing...

I wouldn't judge the cars just yet, as these may not be full production versions. On the other hand, i would never purchases any of the first few thousand of them, as although they have been for sale for several years in Europe, the cars coming here are brand new production for the plant in Mexico that was making Chryslers up until a short while ago.

what is disturbing is the lack of attention to details by their marketing people, and I am hearing this repeatedly. I If they don't get their act together, I am afraid history may repeat itself, and Fiat may shoot itself in the foot again just like they did 30 years ago.
post #50 of 294 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:10 AM

Friday's Wall Street Journal featured a 4 page full color ad for the 500!
post #51 of 294 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
Marketing probably does stink at this point. As for the cars, try giving a once over to the actual production models, then decide.

-Sam

"You're not a proper petrol head until you've owned an Alfa."
Jeremy Clarkson
post #52 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:01 AM

Garage
Sometime back in November I got an email from Fiat saying I needed to complete the retail purchase of Primera Edizione n. 376 before Dec. 31.

Since the dealer didn't exist by then, that was a little difficult to do. So I blew that off.

I did have a letter when I got back from my holiday travels that said they expected to begin production by the end of January and that they would graciously offer to extend my option time to the end of February. That was nice, since there is still no place around here to buy one yet.

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #53 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Alfiat
It will happen soon enough. I expect my #23 to be available by mid February. We should have another email from Fiat in a few weeks.

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #54 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Garage
Got an email today with a picture of the seat. Neat. Matches my abs.
Attached Images

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
post #55 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaVeloce View Post
.... since there is still no place around here to buy one yet.
do you not know who your dealer is? there was a list put out by Fiat some time ago with 130 dealers listed. while the physical facility may not yet exist, the owner does. do they own a local Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge store? if so, I would visit them and see what they know. I can only speak for our own circumstance, but we have the owner, dealer principal and a few other positions selected, all current employees at our CJD store, yet our Studio won't be ready until the end of February with an opening date of March 1st.

someone in your area can help you.......
post #56 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 AM

Garage
I wrote to Fiat in regards to delivery location of my Prima last week. I live in Florida in the winter - NY rest of the time. This is the response:

"At this point in time it looks like your vehicle will be ready for delivery in late February early March. I would suggest having it delivered the first part of March in New York. However, I will have my team keep you posted. If things progress faster, we have the flexibility of switching your delivery location."

Fred - Now: 1966 Giulia Super -1973 1600Z Zagato -1973 Giulia Super-1983 AlfaSud 1.5 - 1968 Fiat Dino Spider, 2012 Abarth. Then: 1971 Fiat 500L-1974 Fiat 500 Abarth replica-1972 GTV
post #57 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 AM

I got the same email and it reminded me that I would like to change the interior from the offered Gray to Red. Where did you write to? SImply reply to the email address Fiat is sending us all that info?

Mike

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #58 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM

Garage
Mike, I'll PM you with the email address I wrote to. It's Laura's assistant.

post #59 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaum View Post
I got the same email and it reminded me that I would like to change the interior from the offered Gray to Red. Where did you write to? SImply reply to the email address Fiat is sending us all that info?

Mike
I don't think they are allowing any changes, but it would be great if you can! Let us know.

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson
post #60 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiat View Post
Mike, I'll PM you with the email address I wrote to. It's Laura's assistant.
Can I get it too?

-Sam

Jeremy Clarkson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode