Ferrari GTO and Cbora Daytona Coupe - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Ferrari GTO and Cbora Daytona Coupe

Look at how similar the lines are in every picture. The red one up front is a 250 GTO and the white car behind is a Cobra Daytona Coupe.

Last edited by italcarguy; 05-17-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:32 PM

Don't tell Shelby. I think he is legaly involved again with someone that made a Coupe lookalike...

If that man continued to spend the amount of time or money he does on legal fees on automotive design... - oh well

Ron.

Past: '88 Spider
Present: '69 GTV, '67 GT Jr.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 AM

Hi Anthony,

I have long been amazed at how many Ferrari designs are lifted to other cars. The GTO's cam tail was all the rage at the time that Shelby's guys built the coupe but I had not seen the two lined up like that. Interesting.

The coupe replica was originally done by Contemporary Classic Motor Cars in Mamaroneck NY. It was a very good replica. It was a hand made copy of a hand made car. The project's engineer equiped it with a big block Ford and took it to the salt flats. He was going over 200 mph (206 I think) when both doors blew open. The cabin had pressurized. He redisgned the nose to bring most of the air over the top of the car and tried again but this time he had problems with the driver programable fuel injection. I don't think he took it to the flats again but he was confident that it was capable of 250 mph. This gentleman does not have an engineering degree or a whole lot of schooling period. But man can he solve problems. Engines, suspension, aerodynamics, he can do it. Just a little ole Italian with a simple workbench and a passion for speed.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 07:31 AM

Oops I got way of course there.
Anthony,
No one lifted as many Ferrari design concepts as General Motors when Chuck Jordan was head of GM design. Jordan is a Ferrari collector.
Look at the 64 GTO roof compared to a 1970s Covette roof. Or a 365 GTC4 roof and B pillar on an Oldsmobile compact coupe of a few years later.
They all do it.
But I believe that the Shelby coupe done by Pete Brock and the rest of that group was an amazing success.
I wish Shelby did not have such a thing about who copied what and was better able to sit back and enjoy the fact that he acheived a hell of a lot in his two life times.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 07:23 PM

I have another one for you. Ever seen an Austin Healy next to a Corvette 60's? Sorry don't know much about Corvette's or ther datelines but the early Corvette looks like a reversed Austin Healy. Word was back then the Corvette designer loved the Healy so much it decided to give it a nod. This came to me through a British engineer who showed me the last life-size drawing of a Peugoet-Talbot and was working on the latest Jensen project (where he got royally ripped off from these folks).

The Ferrari GTO and Ford/Shelby Daytona was a good catch. Now too bad Shelby only gave that monster a four gear gearbox.

Nick

1 Alfa Spider 1974
1 1989 (last imported) 3L Milano in the US!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Former 1 2.5 Milano
Former 3 AlfaSud Sprint 1983 (all 1.5L)
Former 1 Alfeta 2L 1984

Gizmo 33nicolas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode