Siata Daina restoration - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianfrk View Post
I may be able to help with some rear axle parts. I am restoring SL0233B, X Irish /Fergus Sebring Car. I have some extra parts. I will photograph what I have. Attached are some phots as found, and at Sebring in 1952.
Jp
Hello italianfrk, have you found by chance some parts for the rear axle? Can you do a photo of the tunnel of the rear axle? There are two flat irons. For which are they? I would like to alter my dashboard on two instruments (diameter 14 cms). Before I do this, I ask you rather whether you do not have the original instruments, for the rest.
Thanks Jiri

Hallo italianfrk, hast du zufällig irgendwelche Teile für die Hinterachse gefunden? Kannst Du ein Foto von dem Tunnel der Hinterachse machen? Dort sind zwei Flacheisen. Wofür sind die? Ich möchte mein Armaturenbrett auf die zwei Instrumente umbauen (Durchmesser 14 cm). Bevor ich das mache, frage ich dich lieber, ob du nicht die Originalinstrumente übrig hast.
Danke Jiri
Attached Images

Skoda 420 Sport Monte Carlo, Skoda 1200 Touring Sport
Fiat 6C 1500 Stab.Farina, Siata Grand Sport 1400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM

Oh my god ...

Quote:
I would like to alter my dashboard on two instruments (diameter 14 cms). Before I do this, I ask you ...
Quote:
Ich möchte mein Armaturenbrett auf die zwei Instrumente umbauen (Durchmesser 14 cm). Bevor ich das mache, frage ich ...
Bitte Jiri, tu es nicht, bitte !

= I beg you on my knees, don't do it.

Sieh Dir die beiden Damen an
= take a look at the following girls.

Eine, inzwischen 51, vermutlich im absoluten Originalzustand
= one in ( guessed ) original shape.

Die andere, Baujahr Mai 1955, mit verändertem Armaturenbrett!
The most ugly one, built in may 1955, with changed instrumentpanel .....
Attached Images

post #48 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 02:46 PM

Siata Gran Sport Instruments

Jiri,

You may do as you please. It is your car. Some future owner can always make it "correct" at a later date? Unfortunately some "temporary" solutions can become a bit too "permanent"?

Back in 1982 I did some hasty work on a very special Gran Sport (SL*0280*B) that had just been purchased by my father. One number away from your car and yet, almost everything was different. There was a vintage race coming up and time was a bit short. The body itself was made of the thinnest aluminum I've seen on a car body. The body was so beaten up at the very rear and right-rear that some of the metal was crinkled, cracked and broken. Rather like aluminum foil that had been crumpled into a ball and then flattened out again, perhaps more than once. It was not all salvageable including the edging of the spare tire access hatch. The "door" itself had been replaced with an almost flat piece of heavier gauge aluminum and was not original. I elected to cut out all the bad, formed some new replacement panels and welded in the new metal intending to reconstruct the spare tire access door at a later date.

We didn't have the correct tail light unit so I made up an older style that might seem "original" to a casual inspection, once again intending to fit the correct style unit at a later date ... when it could be found. My father raced the car a few times in various vintage events. It was sold before I had a chance to make it right. The point of this is to acknowledge that it still bothers me quite a lot each time I see a photo of it. It has been repainted red and is in Europe now. I have no idea if the current owner knows that the tail configuration is incorrect. The work seemed to make sense at the time as a temporary solution but I have always wished that we had gotten to spend a bit more time in doing this part of the car.

I should mention that the grille was not with SL*0280*B when we got it and I elected to replicate the eggcrate style grille in SL*0251*B rather than making the typical style grille seen in most photos and on most cars. Although I still like this special grille very much, I have subsequently found a photo of what was probably SL*0280*B in its original guise and, if it is truly the car, the photo shows that the grille was the typical style. The point of this is to remind everyone that not all the cars were the same. Many are certainly not the same as they once were. For those who were not around to know this, I have to say that it didn't used to be that there were any "Originality Police" walking around passing judgement on what you'd just done to make a car ready for a certain event ... or had done simply to make it "your own". It used to be that most people could simply appreciate a cool car.

Returning to SL*0281*B, I seem to recall that you have a speedometer and tachometer that came with the car from Germany? Is there any reason to believe that these instruments are not original? I think it would be far better to be patient and continue your search for the additional instruments that might be correct or which could be modified to appear as if they might be correct, matching the instruments you have. If the instruments that came with the car are not perceived to be "original" then we have to do some studying. There were some variations from car to car and it may be that we cannot know which instruments were actually original to your car? At least, not without finding some early photos (in Italy?) of your specific car ... showing the dash. SL*0280*B has Jaeger competition instruments that are quite different from those that were fitted to most other cars and yet they were clearly original to that car. Other Gran Sport cars also have variations and all of the samples we have seen thus far in photos on this thread are merely possibilities. I have refrained thus far from showing other possibilities, assuming that you already have a style that should be matched, but there are other options.

The earliest Gran Sport cars (pre "B" suffix) have two multi-function instruments but this would be incorrect for your car even though it could be considered generically "correct" for a Gran Sport. Those instruments would not be "correct" for your Gran Sport. If you propose living with fewer instruments, I would suggest maintaining the original dashboard configuration (hole sizes and all) and perhaps fit slightly smaller instruments while you decide what to do and how to do it, presuming that some "original" instruments are not already in hand to show you the way.

I could make more specific suggestions but you've already shown yourself to be quite resourceful and, once again, it is your car.

Good luck!

John

Last edited by iicarJohn; 12-31-2009 at 03:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, you have persuaded me. My Siata has had still in 1993 four instruments. Two have got lost somewhere and sometime. I take the multiinstrument (water temperature / oleograph) from 14 cms of instrument. Just like gasoline / Ampermeter. Two new cases, all chrome rings and metal rings are made. And then I must search only somebody who engraves the dials of plastic to me.

Danke, ihr habt mich überredet. Mein Siata hat noch in dem Jahr 1993 vier Instrumente gehabt. Zwei sind irgendwo und irgendwann verloren gegangen. Den Multiinstrument (Wassertemperatur /Öldruck) nehme ich von dem 14 cm Instrument. Genauso wie Benzin / Ampermeter. Es werden zwei neue Gehäuse, alle Chromringe und Metallringe angefertigt. Und dann muss ich nur jemanden suchen, der mir die Zifferblätter aus Kunststoff graviert.
Attached Images

post #50 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM

Hi Jiri,

Congrats on the decision. Did not want to chime in since it is your car and your call but thought that Peter (In a hilarious way) and John (very insightful) were right on.

Happy new year!

Mike

60 Citroen ID - 62 Lancia Appia Vignale Convertibile - 64 Giulia TI - 69 Porsche 911S Targa (Soft Window) - 72 Junior Z 1600
post #51 of 129 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

I wish all which accompany me with my problems and help me with good advice, a nice and successful year 2010.

Thanks Jiri

Ich wünsche allen, die mich bei meinen Problemen begleiten und mir mit guten Ratschlägen helfen, einen schönen und erfolgreichen Jahr 2010.

Danke Jiri

post #52 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Can send me, please, somebody photos of two Siata to multiinstruments from the front(not sloping view)? I need a presentation to engrave.
Thanks Jiri

Kann mir, bitte, jemand Fotos von den zwei Siata Multiinstrumenten von vorne schicken(nicht schräge Ansicht)? Ich brauche eine Vorlage zum gravieren.
Danke Jiri

post #53 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

If everything well run, I can put the car the next week on the wheels and bring to the plumber and adapt the radiator cowling.

Wenn alles gut lauft, dann kann ich das Auto nächste Woche auf die Räder stellen und zum Spengler bringen und den Kühlergrill anpassen.
Attached Images

post #54 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

Can somebody send me photos (head-on) from the small Siata badges and from the sign with oil kinds? I have found, perhaps, a company which can make these parts. Thanks.

Kann mir jemand Fotos (frontal) von den kleinen Siata Abzeichen und von dem Schild mit Ölsorten schicken? Ich habe eventuell eine Firma gefunden, die diese Teile anfertigen kann. Danke.
Attached Images

post #55 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:27 AM

Siata lubrication plate

Jiri,

Does your car have the holes in the firewall indicating it had both an ID plate and the lube plate? Some cars may not have had the lube plate ... for no good reason maybe, but it may be "original" without one?

I believe I have a 1:1 photocopy of one in my files. I will check.

John
post #56 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte carlo View Post
Can somebody send me photos (head-on) from the small Siata badges and from the sign with oil kinds? I have found, perhaps, a company which can make these parts. Thanks.

Kann mir jemand Fotos (frontal) von den kleinen Siata Abzeichen und von dem Schild mit Ölsorten schicken? Ich habe eventuell eine Firma gefunden, die diese Teile anfertigen kann. Danke.
Siata badges might be obtainable through Black Barts Emporium, Inc.
post #57 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 AM

Siata badges

I think that Black Bart made some nose badges long ago in one style. Nose bades are currently being made by "Franco Ragni" in Torino in a couple of "flat" styles (suitable to many 208S and Daina cars) and several vendors stock them. My father had some made in a "curved" style (suitable to many of the Siata 300BC) but I think they are all gone. He still has some very small ones (17mm tall x 12mm wide) that are copies of some that were used in steering wheel centers on a few cars and on a very few very early 300BC.

Jiri is in need of an intermediately sized one that is not easy to find and which I've not yet seen anyone make available. But, it would be wise to check.
post #58 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 AM

Ragni in Turin has these:
Ragni Franco, dal 1943 coniazioni artistiche industriali
but he can reproduce anything you want, he needs the measures only. He has no problem to make a new badge because he'll re-use the mold for subsequent customers. I asked for a Balbo's badge he didn't have it.
I have this 2 photos from a 1400 trasformabile 1953, if they are helpful.
Attached Images

Last edited by PG1964; 01-18-2010 at 06:28 AM.
post #59 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:54 AM

badges on SL0280B???

PG1964, I don't that the badge and the lubrication plate are on SL0280B. Unless the car has changed quite a lot?

John
post #60 of 129 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iicarJohn View Post
PG1964, I don't that the badge and the lubrication plate are on SL0280B. Unless the car has changed quite a lot?

John
OOOPS!
You're right, i put some photos on my desktop to upload and then i uploaded one instead another. The grill is unequivocally a 1400 trasformabile. I'm sorry, i proceed with a correction.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode