Fiat Mystery Car - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Fiat Mystery Car

I found this car while driving in New Mexico, Hemmings Sport and Exotic did a short blip on it a few months back. But to date I haven't learned anymore about the car other than what the previous owner has told me.
The owner told me that he bought it from a man who bought the car new had it imported to the US and then drove it for a few years. He told me that the car had body work done to it while in Italy and that it was shown at an auto show in Italy , And that Abarth had done work on the car aswell.
The car was stolen while it was in New Mexico and the engine was removed, The car body was later found and was then sold to the man that I bought the car from the motor and trans was never located, He parked the car in his back yard in 1966.
If you look at the front hood you will see where they used plastic filler to change the body profile, It has disc brakes on all four wheels as well as knock offs, I have enclosed some pictures and a drawing of the VIN number there are three plates with numbers on them with the Fiat plate put on first then the plate under the fiat plate was second .
Anyway I have been looking at this forum and I see that there are a lot of really knowledgeable guys here. Please let me know what you think
Earl Rausch
[email protected]
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Garage
Hi Earl -- welcome to AlfaBB!

This is an interesting looking car. Some questions to the pictures:
When in the car's life were these pictures taken?
Does the first picture show the original engine or a replacement?

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #3 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply !
The pictures were taken three days ago, And the engine is an aluminum block V8 that the guy who had owned the car wanted to put in, It is just siting in there and not hooked up, I plan on selling the engine and will be looking for something that would be close to what Fiat had put in the car.
I ran out of room to post any more pictures but the plastic filler is at least 1/4 to 1/2 inches in some places.
Thanks
Earl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Banned

The 103G would indicate a late 50s or early 60s Fiat 1100/103G based car.
post #5 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Platinum Subscriber

Welcome to the BB!
Random musings:
The chassis number 118S is close to Abarth 1600 Allemano Coupes
Abarth Chassis Numbers
It also looks a bit like an 1500S from the rear and interior - with the front looking like a bad OSCA 1600 attempt. Do you have the grill or front bumper?
Do you have pictures from the side profile?? To post - click on 'go advanced' and then "manage attachments" and then you can add up to 5 pictures per post. You'll need a dozen or so characters in the text box as well. Hope that helps.
Very interesting.

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #6 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's. Here are a few more pictures.I dident know what to make of all of those number plates,
Do you think that there is one plate for every aftermarket co. that did work on the car ?
Earl

I do have the front bumper for the car but no grill
Attached Images

Last edited by Earl Rausch; 06-16-2009 at 06:10 PM.
post #7 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:45 AM

To me it seems to be a Abarth 1600 GT Convertible ( Allemano / Michelotti )with totally different front end. Hard to say how this comes with that much bondo on it. Not the typical Italian style that way!
The front reminds me a bit on the Ghia G 230 S ( Sergio Sartorelli).
post #8 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:21 AM

Perhaps this is relevant to the discussion, there seems to be some similar design cues........

Bring A Trailer Rare Fiat-Based Spider: OSI 1200S

1975 Spider -- Long gone gateway drug
1983 Spider -- Dead: slowly parted-out on eBay
1974 Spider -- Sold, alas.

Last edited by silverspider; 06-17-2009 at 07:24 AM.
post #9 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

I think Peter has a good idea about Ghia having a hand in the design on the front of the car. I have seen several Ghia designs from that period and they seemed to like that sharp edge on the top of the front fender.
The front fender runs across the front then makes an upturn to meet the fender (chrome).
The man I bought it from is in his seventy's and he got the car back in the early sixties so he cant recall the small details.
Peter is right in saying that the LARGE bondo job is not in the Italian way at all my guess is they did the bondo work as a quick way to make the body changes they wanted sort of a last minute fix.
The paint is original as far as I can tell, The dash seems to be laminated wood
Why steal the engine and transmission and just leave the car ? Perhaps it was quite an engine.
The original owner has passed away so no answers from that area.
For a bunch of Alfa guys you know quite a bit about other Italian cars. Looks like I came to the right place.
I did send an Email to Guy Moerenhout who is quite an Abarth expert and he is looking into the car aswell.
You guys are great thanks for taking the time to post.
Earl
post #10 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 12:53 PM

A nice car. Always interesting to hear of such cars.

The front and rar end seem to be from to different origins/designers. The rear end is pretty and typical for 1960-65. The front end is more distinct.

I agree with Peter L -it has a lot of similarities with the Fiat 2300 based Ghia - at least the front end (it is not shown in the Ghia catalogue raisonne). Fissore could also be a guess.

103 is clearly?? referring to the Fiat 103/1100 - often used for a variety of special Italian bodywork. The front end could have been modified at a later stage as suggested. It could be the reason for nobody having/finding any period photos.

118 could be a reference to the Fiat 1500/1600S(twin cam OSCA engined) cars.

One would need photos of the type plates to establish that.

My guess is 1962 +/- one year. I believe the first Fiat 118 based specials were shown around 1960/61.

The Abarth issue - my guess is that "225" could probably be an Abarth reference, but I'll have to look further into that.

Good luck with the restoration.

Regards
post #11 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 02:55 PM

To my eye, the wire wheels on the car appear to be of the "British style" like on a contemporary MG Midget with a different lacing pattern than the usual Italian wheel. I wonder if they were original to the car or were added/substituted at some point in the car's life. It is always nice to see a unique car found and resurrected. Good luck!!

Arno Leskinen
AROC-USA National Concours Chair
164LS
1972 Lancia Fulvia 1.3S
post #12 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:00 PM

Garage
Slightly off-topic but possibly still relevant for Earl's quest, if only as a hint:

Quattroruote No, 84 (Dec-62) talks on p. 120-121 about 3 new colors for Giuliettas: Arancione Aragosta for the Spider, Marrone Testa di Moro for the Sprint, Verde Oro Antico for the Berlina T.I.

Given the printing quality, this last color looks remarkably similar to the one of the car in question. However, I never saw this color mentioned anywhere else and I don't have a paint code for it.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #13 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringspider View Post
To my eye, the wire wheels on the car appear to be of the "British style" like on a contemporary MG Midget with a different lacing pattern than the usual Italian wheel. I wonder if they were original to the car or were added/substituted at some point in the car's life. It is always nice to see a unique car found and resurrected. Good luck!!
Good point! The knock-offs look more like Jaguar than Borrani.

Earl: Is there anything stamped into the rims of the wheels and what's the tire size?

-Ruedi
post #14 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

First off You guys are great !! Lots of good ideas,
I would have never thought to think of the wire wheels as being from GB,
Tomorrow I will head to where the car is and take a look for stamps on the wheels and I will get the tire size, I will also take closer pictures of the wheels and tires.
Any other pictures you all would like to see ?
Pictures with the trunk open? I will try to get a better picture of the number plates,

On one of the pictures showing the engine bay you can what I am guessing is the Pittman arm it looks very different than anything I have seen before is that typical of Fiat ?.
There was a faint Fiat logo on the steering wheel center but you cant see it now, I will see if I can find that picture.
Feel free to ask for different pictures.
Thanks
Earl
post #15 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Banned

The OSI 1200S is Fiat 1100/103 based
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode