Fiat Mystery Car - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #106 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Allemano body numbers

It would be very nice to our study if everyone who owns an Allemano bodied car were to go to the trouble of inspecting it to find the body number ... and then report it. If there are additional discoveries as part of that process, even better!

Here is a listing of mostly Abarth-centric Allemano data collected thus far. Some information has been made a bit vague with a purpose. If you wish to have an updated listing with more precise and expanded data, please share data on your own car. I will update the master and prepare a listing for you in exchange. If anyone has difficulty reading the Excel spreadsheet, I will convert it to a pdf file. Just let me know.

If you used to own a car and can identify it by chassis number or some other characteristic ... and can (hopefully) add to the historical description, please do so.

The information gathered so far, not all of whcih appears here, has come from many sources and ... the more the better!

Some folks seem to have the idea that I share information because I think I know it all. That has never been the case. It certainly was not the intent behind the 1994 publication of "The Italian Car Registry". Some folks have pretended that it tells all while others have pretended it is so full of errors that it is worthless. Neither is true. Listings are shared to show how much we do not yet know ... and hint at the potential for what all we might learn if we were all to share even one piece of information. The fact is, you almost certainly know several things that I have not yet come across ... and maybe never will if you do not share. When other people actually show an interest through sharing, I generally become inspired to make an additional effort to add material that makes for a whole new beginning to any study.

The ball is in your court.
Attached Files
File Type: xls AllemanoStudy-AbarthFocus-iicar2011-12-28.xls (56.5 KB, 370 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Allemano body number

I owned this Allemano, I sold it in Padova some months ago.
Chassis number FIAT 112*050935
Engine number ABA 216/046
Body number 1145

Name:  P1000830a.jpg
Views: 2468
Size:  125.7 KB

1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce,
1964 Alfa Romeo 1600 GT.
post #108 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgsavoia View Post
Here is a roadster on ebay:
I think it's worth quoting some of the auction text:
Quote:
The “BS 4045″ number on the chassis plate was driven by the original sponsor of this car – Burt Sugarman, a Hollywood producer who convinced Ghia to build this car. He was taken by a similar, but smaller Ghia design on a Fiat 2300. His passion for that design led to the production of the Ghia 450 SS. The list price on this car was $13,100 - which was right up there in Rolls-Royce and Ferrari territory back in '67. You needed to be a Hollywood movie star to afford it then!

The high performance Formula “S” 273 Cubic inch Chrysler V-8 was used. Ghia’s long co-operation with Chrysler gave them access to the best mechanical items from Chrysler, including this excellent V-8 and the super tough Torqueflite automatic transmission.

This car is in excellent condition, with nice, straight body panels, a gorgeous leather interior, excellent chrome and trim. It runs and drives beautifully. The doors fit and shut properly, and the metal hinged tonneau cover is still present and working, that's a part often missing on the other cars.

The Ghia custom touch can be seen throughout the car, in little details like the herringbone engraved sill plates, the adjustable bucket seats with separate lumbar support, the hood and engine bay insulation, and the big, legible gauges.

It was originally equipped with air conditioning. The air conditioning setup was removed at some point, but the complete setup is included with the car, photos are shown on the website of the A/C apparatus. The Hardtop is also included. Air conditioning and the hardtop were the only options, at an original cost of $1,300.

The car is in excellent condition, but it's not a showcar. It has later american wire wheels, and I noted a very small tear in the top. The engine bay is reasonably clean but not show detailed. The needle of the speedometer has become detached, although you can see the speedometer hub working.
It strikes me as odd that an Italian car that is claimed to be custom-made for a Hollywood producer (and therefore clearly for the US market) would have a German badge.

Furthermore, the seller states the VIN is 68120743, but this number is hammered into an area that reads "Achsdruck hint.:" which stands for weight on rear axle. So, this number doesn't make any sense in that field.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 06-10-2012 at 06:20 PM.
post #110 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-11-2012, 02:19 PM

...Burt Sugarman, a Hollywood producer who convinced Ghia to build this car....

I like to see the baloons fly !
post #111 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:31 AM

Front

Dear All,
Who knows where and when this picture has been taken?
I wonder about the front of the Allemano 1600 spider as it slightly different from the other cars i have seen. It misses the Abarth "grille" and it looks like the second pair of lights are missing or hidden behind the front grille. Who knows?
Kind regards, Vincent.
Attached Images

post #112 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM

The background is definitively the Earl courts London motor show. The period should be the October 1959.
post #113 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Picture

Hi, I understand the picture is from an Italian exhibition about 8-10 years ago.

I did learn there are a few versions of the front design:

- No Abarth grille, like the picture shows.
- Abarth Grille, signal lights integrated in the lights mounted in the grille.
- Abarth Grille, separate signal lights.

Orange 1521
post #114 of 128 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 12:33 PM

It depends on the production year, the same happened with the contemporary 2200 model. Take a look here: 1959-1964 1600-2200-2400 ALLEMANO + ELLENA COUPE' | Berni Motori | Abarth
post #115 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 AM

Dear All,

Getting back to the conversion, I can confirm it is home made.
Being able to investigate the car, all details point into the homed made direction.

This means i will do my best to restore the car back to original.

I have got two questions:
- If someone knows the car in the Albuquerque area, either in it original form.
The car used to be silver/grey metallic or in it's currently modified form.
Please contact me.
- Secondly if there are other owners of the 1600s spider or coupe, please contact me.
I am looking for parts and restoration pictures. All help is very welcome.

Thank you very much!
Kind regards, Vincent, my email is [email protected]
post #116 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 AM

Collecting parts

Slowly i am colleting parts.
I am still searching for the side marker lights complete as in the picture and a set of badges.
If you can help, let me know.
Thank you very much.
Kind regards, Vincent.
Attached Images

post #117 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 06:23 AM

The badges:Ragni Franco, dal 1934 coniazioni artistiche industriali
but i think you must to rebuild as new the side marker lights....
B24Spider likes this.
post #118 of 128 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 AM

Reflector

Thank you very much.
I believe the reflector with the Abarth letter will be the most difficult part.
I Hope for more reactions, :-).

Thank you!
post #119 of 128 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 01:05 AM

Hi Vincent,

I can help you scan and replicate in CAD, both the bodywork and also badges and lenses. I have helped other forum members here, am happy to help anyone requiring this service.

PM me if you have a project you'd like to work with me on.

Kind regards,
Duane
post #120 of 128 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 AM

Who knows who made this photo in the Abarth factory or owns more pictures made on this day? I am looking for more pictures of the three Abarth Allemano spiders shown on the photo below.
Thank you very much for your help! Kind regards, Vincent.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode