Fiat Mystery Car - Page 7 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 05:25 PM

The number 23

Dear Letzen,

Thank you. The production number is definitely higher than 23. The fellow who sent the information to you implying the number "23" has contacted me. The funny thing is that he sent you my listing from perhaps last year? When a listing is shared and reviewed it is always important to try to understand the context. I do not consider many of my lists to be complete. Certainly not the Abarth listings! They reflect what is known today about cars that can be identified by chassis number or some other very distinctive characteristic. Oftentimes, there were many others that are simply not yet described by number.

In this case, I will not be surprised if the actual 1600 production number turns out to be 40 or 50 or more. Implications are certainly strong that there were more than 25 built and I would tend to think, "at least thirty". The listing is definitely not complete! And, your car is already on my list now, but I would still like very much to learn the Allemano body number. It might be very simple to find as the number is often stamped on the seat rails and it takes only moving the seat very far forward (or back) or sometimes off the rail in order to see it ... if it is there. Otherwise, there are other places to look.

All the best,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Gold Subscriber

I noticed that the steering wheel and the instrument pod is pretty much identical to this Fiat on ebay. That is all for now!
Fiat : Spider:eBay Motors (item 130325107921 end time Aug-25-09 15:05:15 PDT)
post #93 of 128 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:33 AM

As a great admirer of Fiat sports cars from that era I really enjoy this thread. If you keep the front, which I hope, it would look like this Fiat Ghia only with two headlights. Here is a better picture of that car.

Lars
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 128 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 01:28 AM

Allemano Abarth plate

Here is the Abarth plate from the Allemano 1600 Abarth I am restoring.I have been busy and it is coming along well.The motor and gearbox are out and I am rebuilding the brakes.
Yes,as usual,John is pretty spot on.The car is an export model (Portugal from new) and it very close to May 1961 as it has drums on the rear and Girling fronts.
I will post pics later as she starts to look a bit prettier.
Grant
Attached Images

post #95 of 128 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Rausch View Post
Thanks to everybody that has posted ! John you have given me much to think about !
I did receive an email with the correct engine information . Now what to do with the car, I would like to restore the car but it will be very expensive to restore it to it's past glory. Or sell the car and let somebody else do the restoration .
here is the email that I got
[...]
Anyway that's what I have so far. What would we do without the internet ?

Thanks again everybody
Earl
And then?? What happened to the "Fiat Mistery Car"???
MPC
post #96 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Wonderful thread. Looking forward to seeing an update as well.

Brian White - 1979 Alfetta GTV - 1988 Milano Verde - 1981 Lancia Beta Zagato - 2006 Land Rover LR3 - 2005 Audi S4 Avant - 1990 SCCA SpecMiata
post #97 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:03 PM

Dear All,

The update i can give you is that about 8 weeks ago the car was finally collected. When i am able to investigate the car i will post an update.
In the meanwhile when someone knows more about this car's history in the Albuquerque, NM area late sixties please post. The story i heard, is that the car was owned by an architect. The engine broke down and the car was put aside.
I am happy with all information. Best regards, Vincent.
Attached Images

post #98 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:31 PM

One of the most interesting aspects of this thread in my opinion, is a pretty confirmed fact that the front bumper is a shortened Ford Taunas unit. That should help to determine the build year--and maybe even where--as I would have to think that if done in the US, the Taunas bumper wouldn't be a valid option--thus, I would think that it had to have been done in Europe sometime during this period. Unless someone over here was pretty knowledgeable about and a big fan of the mid-60s period designs so detailed in this thread.

Brian White - 1979 Alfetta GTV - 1988 Milano Verde - 1981 Lancia Beta Zagato - 2006 Land Rover LR3 - 2005 Audi S4 Avant - 1990 SCCA SpecMiata
post #99 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 AM

Dear Brian,
The Ford Taunus P3 you are referring to was build from 1960 - 1964. This Fiat Abarth Allemano is from 1961. In my view this still leaves all options open.
Best regards, Vincent.
post #100 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 AM

hello,
i think this is not original. the body is touring-style.
the front is a copy of ghia-style.
is a mixture.
here fits neither the styling nor the epoch together.
you have more pictures of body and interior
regards
bernhad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by touring63; 12-27-2011 at 04:39 AM.
post #101 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:35 AM

Dear Bernhad,

Let me help you a little.
Touring and Ghia are coachbuilders and have nothing to do with this car as far as i know.

The coachbuilder who has build this car is the Allemano company. You can still see the spot where the Allemano badge was situated.

The front body style you describe as Ghia, is because it became most famous with cars build by the Ghia company. I believe it is better to talk about the designer than about the company who build the car. Giovanni Michelotti has designed this car and he already designed cars "Ghia" style since 1955 for Vignale, Ghia, Lancia, Nardi and Allemano. ( Don't know about Touring, )

The car used to be silver so when it arrives i will scratch of some green paint from the front and see if the layers underneath are the same compared to when i scratch of paint from the rear. It would be a very interesting exercise.

Best regards, Vincent.
post #102 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:52 AM

So is the car now headed to Europe?

post #103 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 AM

hello vincent,
it's always interesting to discuss such specialties.
is the real sense of these forums.
We learn so much by it.
have the absolute spezilisten for reliable insider information, sit in italy.
however, it is a peculiarity of the italian people, that no interest on internet.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #104 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:25 AM

So is the car now in Europe?

post #105 of 128 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM

The car is still in the USA, but when the correct paperwork is there, it will be shipped to the Netherlands.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode