1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=biz5300;761390]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
are you talking about this 1954 Simca Ghia?[/QUOTE
Yes that is the Simca.. The Fiat we know about as it is being restored at the moment and it also had a continuation Abarth 205 chassis numberation.. The Simca is vanished I believe but I had never seen the Simca Ghia convertible before... so 3 Of them made...
Can you post a photo of the Simca Ghia conv't you are talking about? As to the very attractive (IMO) 1954 Simca Ghia coupe, I have no idea what happened to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:26 PM

Yes , its similar to the osi in design.. And michelotti designed the osi 1200 but the rear is very different and this car is a 1959 to 61 fiat osca 1500 pininfarina covertible with a changed nose. I doubt were it some other designer they would have kept the pininfarina rear.. Ciao tutti

Ferrari 330GT2+2 series 1, Fiat 1100SMM Pinin Farina,
post #48 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:30 PM

Its in my 50s autosport or road and tracks.. Will post shortly but this a definite .. The simca ghia (abarth?) Convertible was made..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretceterini View Post
Can you post a photo of the Simca Ghia conv't you are talking about?
This must be the one:
Attached Images

'88 33 1.3S (1997-04/1999)
'89 75 T.Spark (04/1999-11/2007)
'98 GTV 2.0 V6 TB (11/2007-...)
'88 75 3.0 6V America (restoration project)
post #50 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz5300 View Post
so 3 Of them made...
Apparently, besides the Fiat Abarth 103 GT Coupé Ghia, the Simca Abarth GT Coupé Ghia and the Simca Cabriolet that I posted in my previous post, there was made a 4th similar looking car, the Vaughan Super Sports Ghia which was equipped with a V8 engine:
Attached Images

'88 33 1.3S (1997-04/1999)
'89 75 T.Spark (04/1999-11/2007)
'98 GTV 2.0 V6 TB (11/2007-...)
'88 75 3.0 6V America (restoration project)
post #51 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Have not had the chance to go and look at the number plates yet. But I did find this Ghia car on the web.
Here is what was said about the car.
Ill get the plate info tomorrow.
Earl

The Ghia coach building company developed this GT body over a Fiat chassis for the 1960 Turin motor show, and eventually went to production with a modest 2.3 liter, 136 HP six cylinder, it also attracted the attention and American entrepreneur Bert Sugarman. Bert liked the car, but the motivation was lacking, so he dropped a Plymouth 273 V8 Barracuda with 235 HP in it and brought it to the US, selling some 52 examples with the "450SS" belying the engine displacement.

This particular example was owned by none other than Wilt "The Stilt" Chamblerlain, who found it to be the only sports car he could actually fit in. While he owned it, he took it in to a young upstart to the hot-rod industry, one "Boyd Coddington" for a full restoration and upgrades to the powerplant. It was part of Chamberlain's estate at the time of his death and still remains titled in his name.

The little details on this car make it an excellent example of custom coachbuilding of the era. Notice the lack of door handles, instead, an indent in the rear fender to pull it open. The handsome curved wood dash with elegant gauges, row of switches on the dash are labeled only by number instead of function (you had to know what they do), the wire wheels, functional vents, and various other Italian design elements. Mr. Chamberlain certainly had some taste.Google Image Result for http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/Wilt_Chamberlain_1967_Ghia_450SS_Spyder.jpg
post #52 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfaman75 View Post
Apparently, besides the Fiat Abarth 103 GT Coupé Ghia, the Simca Abarth GT Coupé Ghia and the Simca Cabriolet that I posted in my previous post, there was made a 4th similar looking car, the Vaughan Super Sports Ghia which was equipped with a V8 engine:
EXACTLY.. do people in the abarth world know about these cars. Now I have 5 book on abarth world and 3 on cisi.. But I found in the convertible in auto sport.. .notthe same picture

Last edited by biz5300; 06-21-2009 at 02:16 PM.
post #53 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
This must be the one:
Nowhere near as attractive as the coupe, IMO
post #54 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
In two of my books this mysterious Vaughan (Vaugham?) is mentioned, but nothing is to find about it on the Internet. Remarkable that it exactly looks the same like the Ghia Fiat. On the contrary the Simca got his own 'nose'!

Someone will bring light into the darkness?
Attached Images

Last edited by pan68; 06-21-2009 at 10:46 PM.
post #55 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan68 View Post
In two of my books this Vaughan (Vaugham?) car is mentioned, but nothing is to find about it on the Internet. Remarkable that it exactly looks the same like the Ghia Fiat on the contrary the Simca got his own 'nose'!

Someone will bring light into the darkness?

Kind of reminds me of the Boano Alfa 6c3000 CM and it's almost identical looking little brother Alfa 1900
post #56 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 PM

What my book reveals:
Attached Images

post #57 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Rausch View Post
Have not had the chance to go and look at the number plates yet. But I did find this Ghia car on the web.
Here is what was said about the car.
Ill get the plate info tomorrow.
Earl

The Ghia coach building company developed this GT body over a Fiat chassis for the 1960 Turin motor show, and eventually went to production with a modest 2.3 liter, 136 HP six cylinder, it also attracted the attention and American entrepreneur Bert Sugarman. Bert liked the car, but the motivation was lacking, so he dropped a Plymouth 273 V8 Barracuda with 235 HP in it and brought it to the US, selling some 52 examples with the "450SS" belying the engine displacement.

This particular example was owned by none other than Wilt "The Stilt" Chamblerlain, who found it to be the only sports car he could actually fit in. While he owned it, he took it in to a young upstart to the hot-rod industry, one "Boyd Coddington" for a full restoration and upgrades to the powerplant. It was part of Chamberlain's estate at the time of his death and still remains titled in his name.

The little details on this car make it an excellent example of custom coachbuilding of the era. Notice the lack of door handles, instead, an indent in the rear fender to pull it open. The handsome curved wood dash with elegant gauges, row of switches on the dash are labeled only by number instead of function (you had to know what they do), the wire wheels, functional vents, and various other Italian design elements. Mr. Chamberlain certainly had some taste.Google Image Result for http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/Wilt_Chamberlain_1967_Ghia_450SS_Spyder.jpg
Boyd Coddington to my knowledge is still designing cars. I think he has a shop in San Jacinto or Hemet. Worth finding out and making an inquiry. Might fill in some missing blanks on what he did for who with those cars. With the upgraded engine it sounds like it was along the lines of the Sunbeam Tiger concept. I am wondering if FIAT knows anything and if there is one of those numbers that designates it as something special? Looking at Wilts car, there are many similiar concepts in the fender/bumper lines on the front. Could this car we are discussing have been the prototype?

Last edited by velocedoc; 06-22-2009 at 12:20 AM.
post #58 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Boyd Coddington to my knowledge is still designing cars. I think he has a shop in San Jacinto or Hemet. Worth finding out and making an inquiry. Might fill in some missing blanks on what he did for who with those cars. With the upgraded engine it sounds like it was along the lines of the Sunbeam Tiger concept. I am wondering if FIAT knows anything and if there is one of those numbers that designates it as something special? Looking at Wilts car, there are many similiar concepts in the fender/bumper lines on the front. Could this car we are discussing have been the prototype?
FYI: Boyd Coddington passed away in Feb-08 at age 63.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]
post #59 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Coddington died about a year ago. I have no idea if the shop is closed or still open...
post #60 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

I just found this somewhat interesting Italian bodied Simca 1200 for sale and the price seems fair

Simca 1200 S Coupe Bertone for sale, classic cars for sale uk (Car: 46603)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode