Fiat Mystery Car - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan67 View Post
... my small Idea...made by VIGNALE "extrous" (Vignale: an overview of all car models)

the V8 an italy is very very rare....eccept here: THE AC COBRA ITALIAN = SIATA 208S Spider....born..of course...one year before!!! the Ac...(sorry I'am italian)

here: HowStuffWorks "1952 Siata 208S Spyder"

for ALL free dowload "catalogo rapido 1974" All 105 series, click>open>save here: Home page ‎(AR105GT)‎

Rocco Motto of Turin did the coachwork for the Siata 208S; not Vignale....although the design was by Michelotti
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Garage
I too have a hunch the mystery car may be related to an Allemano Abarth 1600.

The first impression came from visiting the Abarth Factory Museum web site with 50 pictures of a 1959 Allemano Abarth 2200 (watch the trunk line in the image copied below) but this car seems a little bit too big. I then found on this web page an entry of an Abarth 1600 Coupe Allemano with a chassis number that is pretty close to the mystery car (FIAT 118S 100022) and then, on this web site, the picture of the sales brochure of the 1959 Abarth 1600 Allemano Spider copied below and the US ad in this eBay store and the image from the RHD car on this web site.
Attached Images

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 06-18-2009 at 02:56 PM.
post #33 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

I just got back from looking at the car, I found some quite interesting items,
I got the name of the man who imported the car from Italy, I also spoke to the man that I bought the car from and he reported to me that the car was quite the HOT car for the day. The owner would take the car out to the track and would do very well. He told me that the engine was "an awesome engine" so that would explain why somebody would steal the car and remove the engine . I was told that the man who stole the car did in fact sell the engine.

I found a number on the pitman arm or steering arm it is F.4043200

Tires are Pirelli Cintura 155X15 with 1416574 stamped in large numbers on the sidewall

While I was there looking at the car I blew some of the dust and leaves out.
Take a look at the picture of the number plate ,there is no primer on the plate telling me that eather they dident take the time to mask the final top coat or that it was a respray, If you look at the picture of the trunk area you will see the red primer and then a silver color over the primer then the green.
I am thinking that the silver was the orginal color and the green was sprayed at a later date. I found the radiator and it had just green overspray on the top neck,

Now for one of the body changing photos, Take a look at the inside front fender there are places where you can see that the metal has been shaped and welded in to create the desired look. The same is found on both sides.

I was not able to find any numbers on the wheels, I might take a jack with me and take a wheel or two off. The two front tires have different knockoffs than the back however I did not notice that until I got home and looked at the pictures I cant quite make out the lettering on the front knockoffs.

I put the front bumper on the car so you will have an idea how it blends into the front fender.

I have no idea what the bar is that is in the center below the front bumper. Only guess is it is for a tow bar ?

It is funny that I did a post much like this one on Hemmings forum and just had one response. You all have been a lot of help !

let me know what your thoughts are, I guess I need to find an engine to put in the car but I have a lot of work to do before I will be ready for that, but give me your imput as to what ought to go into the car

Peter
I had a good laugh with the cow

Thanks
Earl
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

A few more pictures , The first wheel is from the rear second wheel is from the front. The numbers from the tires were obtained from the rear tires.
Earl
Attached Images

post #35 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM

Garage
These are good pictures. The front bumper makes all the difference!

As next step, I suggest you remove the bolted-on identification plates and gently strip off the paint (e.g. with a razor blade). There may be some information what the numbers mean or belong to -- which may eventually help to identify the production year of the Fiat body.

Regarding the scripts on the knock-offs, they probably only indicate the hub size and which way to take them off (smontare) because they have different thread direction on the left and right side. The information I was interested in was if there was anything stamped into the rim near the lip (e.g. Borrani RW-xxxx). The hub on the front wheel is certainly Borrani.

No idea about the bar.

-Ruedi
[SIZE="1"]'63 2600 Touring Spider (AR 191437, the car that started the 2000/2600 International Register, reassembly in progress)
ex-'65 2600 SZ (AR 856043, the car in my avatar, sold as resto project to Austria)
Maintainer of a private 2600 SZ register (not the one in the Netherlands).[/SIZE]

Last edited by tubut; 06-18-2009 at 03:11 PM.
post #36 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 04:45 PM

Earl, Earl, Earl ....

"To take someone the worms out of the nose" is an idiomatic speech in Germany. Hey, now you are engaged to give us the bunch of pictures we are awaiting since hours, days, weeks, month, ye.., ... .

(the 1. or the 2. cow made you laugh?)

The welding seems to me not to be the common job of a skilled italian panell beater!

By the way: the front bumper could be a shortend one of the Ford "Badewanne" = bathtub.
Attached Images

Last edited by Peter L; 06-18-2009 at 06:57 PM.
post #37 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 05:28 PM

Earl?

EARL?

EARL?

Any other Italian cars around?
( Just recognized the Bertone NSU Sportprinz )

Maserati?

Ferrari?

Last edited by Peter L; 06-18-2009 at 06:57 PM.
post #38 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
Disc brakes! Now that is a great upgrade for the period. Not only did it go fast it must have stopped really good as well. Did it have disc brakes all around? Might be the same as the 1600 Giulia which are Dunlop, and parts are available for rebuilding. I agree on the taking of the ID plates and skimming the paint off to reveal the numbers and info underneath that got sprayed over. If that is a bumper from a Taurus it shows that it was a modification for someones idea to make over the front end. Good pictures btw.
post #39 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-18-2009, 11:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
Disc brakes! Now that is a great upgrade for the period. Not only did it go fast it must have stopped really good as well.
Maybe it didn't stop THAT well and this became the reason for the new nose?!?

-Ruedi
post #40 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Location: located "almost" at the geographic center of Arizona +/- a few miles
Garage
If what is said about the car being a "show" car, then it is just a matter of historical record with digging through the many car shows of the period to find the car. In the mean time while researching, look for a twin cam engine, and do some restoration. Should be a beautiful car when it is finished.
post #41 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocedoc View Post
If what is said about the car being a "show" car, then it is just a matter of historical record with digging through the many car shows of the period to find the car. In the mean time while researching, look for a twin cam engine, and do some restoration. Should be a beautiful car when it is finished.
Yes, and for this it would be helpful to narrow down the year (probably 1959-1963 if it is an Abarth) and figure out if it had a 4-cyl or 6-cyl engine.

-Ruedi
post #42 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Good ideas guys/
Tubut I will head out here in a bit and carefully remove the paint off of the plates and will report back with pictures of what I found.

Peter
The guy I bought the car from has a Large barn that is full of cars. But I haven't been in there to look at them nor has he told me what all is in there other than to say that the lesser cars are parked outside !. I am going to see if I can buy the NSU as it is a neat little car.
Moooo

I will report back later !
Earl
post #43 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM

The FIRST Fiat 1500 Cabriolet has chassis designation 118G and came 1959 and was produced to 1961 when it was replaced by the 118S which I believe had Girling Disc brakes.. I dont think the 1500 cario/coupe ever had Dunlops. the 118G was built on the 1200 chassis 103G I had Fiat OSCA Fissore with 118S chassis... Rear is pure 1500 Cabrio but front looks home made to me or made to look like the Ghia 230S I certainly havt seen it in any books....

Ferrari 330GT2+2 series 1, Fiat 1100SMM Pinin Farina,
post #44 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=dretceterini;760694]are you talking about this 1954 Simca Ghia?[/QUOTE
Yes that is the Simca.. The Fiat we know about as it is being restored at the moment and it also had a continuation Abarth 205 chassis numberation.. The Simca is vanished I believe but I had never seen the Simca Ghia convertible before... so 3 Of them made...

Ferrari 330GT2+2 series 1, Fiat 1100SMM Pinin Farina,
post #45 of 128 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
Gold Subscriber

Similar in Ways, but.....

I saw this Fiat OSI and saw some similarities on Bring A Trailer, take a look!

Bring A Trailer Rare Fiat-Based Spider: OSI 1200S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode