Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Other Italian Cars (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/other-italian-cars/)
-   -   Rescue Me--Flaminia PF on Ebay (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/other-italian-cars/148379-rescue-me-flaminia-pf-ebay.html)

red leader 03-09-2009 07:20 PM

Rescue Me--Flaminia PF on Ebay

Lancia Flaminina PF coupe on Ebay in Alabama. Driveline is being taken out for a race car project. Someone should save this car!

eBay Motors: 1958 Lancia Flaminia PF Coupe ( in Alabama ) (item 150330447491 end time Mar-14-09 12:17:48 PDT)

Attachment 133195

red leader 03-09-2009 07:24 PM

Incidentally, I have FOR SALE a very nice hood for a Lancia Flaminia PF Pininfarina Coupe. Contact me if interested. No relation to the seller of the car shown (other than it seems to need a hood).

Attachment 133198

1.6 HF 03-10-2009 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red leader (Post 723268)
Lancia Flaminina PF coupe on Ebay in Alabama. Driveline is being taken out for a race car project. Someone should save this car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by red leader (Post 723273)
Incidentally, I have FOR SALE a very nice hood for a Lancia Flaminia PF Pininfarina Coupe. Contact me if interested. No relation to the seller of the car shown (other than it seems to need a hood).

With all due respect, "it seems to need a hood" would be the understatement of the year. I'm afraid it's way beyond saving as it's being offered. The seller's description is a masterpiece:
"1958 Flaminia PF Coupe ...VIN 82300 1480

floors rusted, but body panels are surface rust only.

The body will look pretty decent after media blasing and prep.

Most of the chrome is complete, but some pitting.

The stainless looks pretty nice.

I have seen many cars restored that were in MUCH worse condition

NO Drivetrain ( engine to transaxle) No front or rear suspension ( rear currently being removed )

Otherwise, seemed complete, before we removed the above items.

selling complete or will parts out , if not sold"
"Seen many cars restored that were in MUCH worse condition"? Would that be before or after someone stripped every mechanical piece? But my favorite, after noting that the carcass will be left with no drivetrain or suspension, the seller announces that he's "selling complete".

AlfistaDW 03-11-2009 09:46 PM

This Flaminia only seems to be good for parts, if that. The only car in any condition resembling that that I would consider restoring is anything out of that collection somewhere in Europe featured in Tom Cotter's book "Cobra in the Barn", preferably the Alfa 6C2500 race car or the "Jowett Javelin" (actually a coachbuilt Jowett Jupiter with Ghia bodywork). Regardless, the glass, stainless and some (non-upholstered) interior trim parts could probably be salvaged, but everything else should be scrapped.

red leader 03-12-2009 11:11 AM

Wow, no love for the PF.

Hard to judge anything from the photographs really, other than the seller could have definitely used advice is staging. Like, taking it off the jacks and perhaps putting spindles/tires back on.

Can't believe anyone would talk about "scrapping" such a car, given everything we know about potential values of vintage Italian iron. I am pretty sure you could cut a fender off, hang it in your garage and get $1500 from anyone who might need one down the road.

If you really want a PF coupe (iconic since used in Fellini's "8 1/2") where else would you find one?

dretceterini 03-12-2009 12:46 PM

The car is basically worthless without the drivetrain, IMO.

1.6 HF 03-12-2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red leader (Post 724280)
Wow, no love for the PF.

Hard to judge anything from the photographs really, other than the seller could have definitely used advice is staging. Like, taking it off the jacks and perhaps putting spindles/tires back on.

Can't believe anyone would talk about "scrapping" such a car, given everything we know about potential values of vintage Italian iron. I am pretty sure you could cut a fender off, hang it in your garage and get $1500 from anyone who might need one down the road.

If you really want a PF coupe (iconic since used in Fellini's "8 1/2") where else would you find one?

Flaminia PFs are getting a lot more love here than they’re getting from this example’s current owner, the ironically-named “old school restorations”. Zagato67 is restoring one he purchased just last year, which suggests that examples can still be found with enough patience.

But this one’s dead. From an economic standpoint, it’s tough enough to restore one of these if it’s complete. Once you strip the drivetrain and suspension, all that’s left are some body panels, some trim and some glass, as Stu suggests. Which means this one’s strictly a parts car–one that can’t even roll away on its own. So as far as this one’s concerned, I’m afraid you’ll have to take up the “love” issue with the vandals that are selling it.

mbaum 03-12-2009 03:28 PM

Don't think PF coupes are all that rare. You still find 2 - 3 good ones offered here in the US every year and way more of them in Europe.

They are absolutely fabulous, some say the best driving Flaminia of them all (I can say that driving a Sport is a completely different experience to driving a PF coupe).

This one though is a throw away. Engines are cheap to get but that's not the point: Doing a body restoration on those puts you underwater for the rest of your this car's live. So much easier and cheaper to by the best in the world and get instant gratification.

They sure are very, very lovely cars though and I wish I would have bought Corey's when I had the chance.

Mike

FANALONE 03-12-2009 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red leader (Post 724280)
Wow, no love for the PF.

I must said buying this car is suecide, to the buyer, why bother get this one en enjoy, no connection to saller,

Pkw-Inserat: Detailansicht

zagato67 03-14-2009 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1,6 HF (Post 724347)
Flaminia PFs are getting a lot more love here than they’re getting from this example’s current owner, the ironically-named “old school restorations”. Zagato67 is restoring one he purchased just last year, which suggests that examples can still be found with enough patience.

Just a note to the list- 1,6 HF is correct that I'm restoring a PF coupe, but not because it needed it! The car I bought (two years ago) was a very nice driver, which I took on the New England 1000 rally last year. I love the PF coupe, it's a phenomenal car- smooth, great handling, quiet and beautifully built. I decided the paint was getting a bit tired, so I had it stripped for a total re-spray and color change. Of course, while that's being done, I'm having the engine pulled to do the engine compartment and ripped out the headliner to fit a new one, will put in new mats and rugs, refinish or replace some bright trim... in other words, a restoration. But it's not a potential profit exercise, that's for sure!

mbaum 03-15-2009 10:04 AM

Donald, that car will be lovely once you are done with it (Hey, not a restoration, just a piant job with other minor things to fix "while you are at it ...").

I remember this car when you bought it and was p*ssed when it disappeared on eBay (As I was just getting ready to move in and do the same thing as you). Though I was quite happy when I learned it went to you.

What color did you choose?

Mike

1.6 HF 03-15-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbaum (Post 725250)
...(Hey, not a restoration, just a piant job with other minor things to fix "while you are at it ...")...

Very funny, Mike; I was thinking exactly the same thing.

zagato67 03-15-2009 02:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbaum (Post 725250)
Donald, that car will be lovely once you are done with it (Hey, not a restoration, just a piant job with other minor things to fix "while you are at it ...").

I remember this car when you bought it and was p*ssed when it disappeared on eBay (As I was just getting ready to move in and do the same thing as you). Though I was quite happy when I learned it went to you.

What color did you choose?

Mike

Hi Mike,
My car didn't come from eBay- I bought it from an old friend from New Jersey in August 2007 when I was frustrated at having been outbid on three cars I tried to buy at auction in Monterey over the weekend. I called him on Monday morning and told him I'd take the car, so I wouldn't be empty-handed! Attached are photos of the car the day I picked it up in NJ and on the 2008 New England 1000 rally. As for color, the jury's still out. It has a lovely "cuoio" color leather interior. The candidates are Blu Lancia, Grigio Albany (a gunmetal gray metallic) and Grigio Ascot, a dark non-metallic gray. Blu Lancia and Grigio Ascot were in the lead, until I saw a magnificent Ferrari 250GT Spider today at the Amelia Island show in dark gray metallic with cuoio leather and I was smitten...

FANALONE 03-15-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zagato67 (Post 725363)
Hi Mike,
My car didn't come from eBay- I bought it from an old friend from New Jersey in August 2007 when I was frustrated at having been outbid on three cars I tried to buy at auction in Monterey over the weekend. I called him on Monday morning and told him I'd take the car, so I wouldn't be empty-handed! Attached are photos of the car the day I picked it up in NJ and on the 2008 New England 1000 rally. As for color, the jury's still out. It has a lovely "cuoio" color leather interior. The candidates are Blu Lancia, Grigio Albany (a gunmetal gray metallic) and Grigio Ascot, a dark non-metallic gray. Blu Lancia and Grigio Ascot were in the lead, until I saw a magnificent Ferrari 250GT Spider today at the Amelia Island show in dark gray metallic with cuoio leather and I was smitten...

Donald beautifull car. adan

mbaum 03-15-2009 10:28 PM

Uh, then I must be confused. I thought this car was on eBay maybe for two days or so and then got pulled due to a sale outside eBay (Funny description by the owner, describing a blown tire that left some minor damage to one of he rear wheel wells). Also was silver ...

Great color choices and none is wrong for the interior. I am a sucker for dark non metallic grays and blues. That interior looks so welcoming (And it is). I want to jump in and drive your car "home" into my garage in SoCal.