Giannini 1100 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Giannini 1100

HI all

Again calling upon your communal knowledge

Here we have a lovely little Giannini coupé that we would like to know more about.
Has anyone got the Giannini book maybe?

Thanks very much

Tom
www.classiccarhunter.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 03:37 AM

Wow, nice car!
Never seen this before.

1) Ferrari 308 GTB QV 2) MG B GT 3) Mazda MX5 4) BMW 320Ci
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
HI all

Again calling upon your communal knowledge

Here we have a lovely little Giannini coupé that we would like to know more about.
Has anyone got the Giannini book maybe?

Thanks very much

Tom
www.classiccarhunter.com

Anthony Rimicci (one of the moderators here) has a copy of the book. I sold him my copy years ago when he got his Giannini 500. I don't remember this car at all. There is nothing on it in the Giaur (Giannini plus Urania) and Taraschi book..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-23-2008, 02:56 AM

Fiat 103 (TV) Boano .... "Giannini"

It would seem that a few of these cars were built. Some were evidently tuned by outside tuners, such as Giannini, and some were not. "Tuning" might be just that and sometimes it can involve much more. Making too much or too little of a "name" associated with a car does not help describe the individuality of each and every car. I'd say such characterizations do as little to describe an individual as saying, "Aw, she's just a blonde with a boob job.".

This style first appeared, it seems, at the Salone Torino of April, 1956 and that particular car was described as a 103TV. That does not mean that every example was built on a car that was numbered by Fiat as a "TV". And, simply because one car was modified extensively by Giannini does not mean that another was done. But, I have some references to one car and I recall seeing references "in period" to at least one more. I tend to think that these sorts of cars were more common than we tend to assume today. Which is not to say that they were "common" at all.

Here is a scan of a poor photocopy from Quattroruote magazine of May 1956. Then a scan of two pages from the following month's issue. Then a scan from the program of "Sports Cars in Review" a show that was held annually at the Henry Ford Museum. This last car was offered several times out of Michigan from November 1956 to June 1957 in The Sports Car (SCCA) magazine as well as Road & Track magazine.

With time, I can come up with better scans and additional scans as well, but that will have to wait for another year.

The Napoli plate on the subject car that opened this thread dates almost certainly from 1957. I have done no research on it yet and cannot comment on the specific validity (or not) of any "Giannini" claims, but I have to say that the owner/vendor probably knows better the story of his car than the rest of us. And, once again, Fornai's books are handy and quick aids but I would not place too much faith in the accuracy of his captions nor the completeness of his scrapbook collections.

John de Boer
The Italian Car Registry

Incidently I am tired of going back and editing posts so as to remove words that generate automated links. I think I will post less and less here if this practice continues. I may even go back and remove all of my posts. It is already difficult to choose words that convey the desired meanings to individuals who do not have English as their primary language. Then to have certain words highlighted in unintended ways? It is wrong to have to consider how someone else is going to use your words to market unrelated products!
Attached Images

Last edited by iicarJohn; 12-23-2008 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Dislike of automated links
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 01:11 PM

There isn't much information (and no foto's) in the Giannini book by Enzo Altorio. I've scanned the only relevant page . As I'am no Italian I cannot help with translation.
Attached Images

post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 PM

Giannini 1100TV

A very generic reference to the 103TV without a mention of Boano or any other coachbuilder. This implies that it is chiefly the production "berlina" that is being described. The reference also does not acknowledge the likely probability that it was not only 103TV versions that were modified by Giannini, but also the plain 103 in some cases. What the book also does not say is that some of the modifications done by Giannini on some "vetture" would have moved the subject vehicle from the "Turismo" category to another level, perhaps "Turismo Preparato" or perhaps even "Sport" in some cases ... and to a higher displacement category in others ... that could not have been categorized as "Turismo" under normal circumstances. So, much of Giannini's work was probably done for owners who desired improved street behavior rather than racing successes.

If one wished to modify a Fiat 1100 for the Turismo category in an event such as the Mille Miglia, there would have been a fairly strict limit to the modifications allowed ... without cheating. But, even today it can seem odd how much material "needs to be removed" in order to balance a flywheel on, say a Miata/MX-5. And it is equally fortuitous that the visual signs of such balancing, when "properly done", can't be seen when the whole package is assembled.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Ok, since no car passes unnoticed on ALFABB, here is another good guy ready to save a car: me!

We (my father and me) bought the car in may, and now we started to make an assesment on the work needed.

The chassis number is dated around the 3rd quarter of 1955; engine and chassis numbers match with the title ("libretto").
The car was sold new around Trieste in 1956, then it came to naples (1957) when it had a new plate, and there in Naples the car remained til now. The last time it was run was in 1986. Two owners (except me) from new, the last one for about 40 years.
1955 is also confirmed also by side glasses (marked 1955). The rear window is made of perspex, the body of aluminium.
The original colour of the car could be seen from the dash, it's a medium blue, something around Porsche Adria Blue and Lancia Blue Davis.
The FIAT/Giannini badge is the same pictured on a period advertising scanned from a 1955 Torino Motori (thanks to John de Boer):

The car has the same Boano badge of the same period Abarths built by Boano as well:

I think this is one of the most unknown coachbuilt 1100 Fiat of all times.
I found some traces of the Giannini/Boano coupè in few rows of an article about the 1956 Salone di Torino of 1956 Auto Italiana magazine.

The only period photo (apart of advertisings) found about a sister of my car is this one (thanks to Forum-Auto):

"Targa Florio 1959 - Fiat 1100 coupè Boano , Carlo Bartoccelli - Giuseppe Parla - Salvatore Panepinto , 15°assoluti, 8°categoria gran turismo, 4°classe da 751 a 1300 cc."

I'd be glad to know that there's another car like this somewhere, to have a confrontation. As far as i know, this is the last survivor.

Now engine and gearbox have been disassembled, just in time to check the high-compression pistons:

(dad, i told you not to make photos with that i-Phone)

The guy at the shop told me that the crankshaft was lathed at least two times, this car was exploited for sure.

Since nothing is more important than dispensable things, i started the restoration buying a NOS Franco Conti steering wheel (check out the price tag string still in its place)

Name:  CIMG4503.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  51.7 KB

More to come....

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 01-05-2012 at 08:15 AM.
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM

Fantastic, I can't wait to see the progress.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850

Last edited by NMMilano; 10-18-2011 at 02:56 PM.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 04:19 AM

From the 1956 Quattroruote, Turin motor show special edition:
Attached Images

post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 07:14 AM

If it's for sale, please do let me know.

[email protected]

All the best,
Alex
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG1964 View Post
From the 1956 Quattroruote, Turin motor show special edition:
Thanks PG,

as it can be seen, the car in Boano area differs from mine and from the other ones in the photo because of different side trims, flush-mounted front grill and for the front badge.
Borrani Record rims should have been an optional.
Another difference is about the quarterlight glasses, not present on my car (and it seems that they never were been there).
I'm quite confident that the set up of that car was made on purpose for the Salone of that year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexfreda View Post
If it's for sale, please do let me know.

[email protected]

All the best,
Alex
Thanks Alex (i consider it a praise); no intention to sell the car for now (if it were for me, never..).
However, in case, you'll be the first to know it.

Francesco
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Hello. When this car was for sale, someone on this site had a contact who went and saw the car. His indications were that it was in a decidedly poor state now. I was still interested in buying it, but the seller wasn't forthcoming with pictures, or for that matter even replying, no matter how many times I contacted him.
Do you have current pics you would be willing to post?
Regards
Antony
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM

The car was in worse shape than the photos showed but, substantially, the work needed would have been the same, since the car needs to be redone from a to z, then and now.
Rust on floors is superficial, the passenger door is smashed, but my coachworker wasn't scared when he checked it.

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 10-22-2011 at 04:13 AM.
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:04 AM Thread Starter

I was in milan a couple of weeks ago. WOuld have loved to pop in and see the car.

Best of luck with the restoration.

Tom

ClassicCarHunter.com
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
I was in milan a couple of weeks ago. WOuld have loved to pop in and see the car.

Best of luck with the restoration.

Tom

ClassicCarHunter.com
Tom,

you'd be disappointed since the "car clinic" is far from Milano...

anyway, these are the days of the mechanical check:

Head: not so good, not so bad, but still original:

Valves show wear signs and must be replaced.

Gearbox is in good state, the only parts to be replaced are the brass synchros. Bearings are good as well.

Fuel pump is original too, it's the model installed on 1100/103 FIAT 1st series (1953-1956) with threaded joints:

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 10-22-2011 at 04:57 PM.

Tags
boano, giannini

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode