Giannini 1100 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Even if it's not the time, i'm going nuts to know what could be the correct paint code for the car.
According to what my eyes can see, the car was painted in this tone:

Name:  AZZURRO2.jpg
Views: 2339
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  AZZURRO.jpg
Views: 2384
Size:  37.7 KB

The car is the same, although the "road" image is over-exposed.
Anyone knows what colour could it be?

Thanks

Francesco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM

Stripping time

Beginning from this evil mechanism:

and continuing with interiors:

Hey, jack and dash colors match!!

Francesco
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 01:37 AM

I think the color is similar, but it's not the same. I'll send you a Lechler list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM

Following the suggestion of PG1964 (thank you for the help) i asked to Archivio FIAT infos on my chassis.
Today they sent me the scan of the page containing the record of my car:

Name:  Fiat 1100 TV Registro-1.jpg
Views: 2369
Size:  171.6 KB

Name:  Fiat 1100 TV Registro-2A.jpg
Views: 2287
Size:  88.7 KB

Glad to see that the engine number matches.

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 11-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.
post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 11:08 AM

Time to re-shape the headilghts shells:

as they were modified in the past to accomodate bigger Fiat 1100 R headlights.

Nice to see that the body is perfect.
It was so well molded by Boano that the coachworker told me that there's no filler at all on the car.

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 11-12-2011 at 11:10 AM.
post #21 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 02:24 AM

What's the colour of this Touring Ferrari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgsavoia View Post
Even if it's not the time, i'm going nuts to know what could be the correct paint code for the car.
According to what my eyes can see, the car was painted in this tone:

Attachment 226621

Attachment 226622

The car is the same, although the "road" image is over-exposed.
Anyone knows what colour could it be?

Thanks
I'm restoring a 1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 that was originally painted in a very similar colour. I haven't yet managed to track down the code. Does anyone know the history of the Ferrari pictured here (166?)?

Sorry if this is off thread...

Thanks,
William

Last edited by williamcorke; 11-13-2011 at 01:35 PM.
post #22 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcorke View Post
I'm restoring a 1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 that was originally painted in a very similar colour. I haven't yet managed to track down the code. Does anyone know the history if the Ferrari pictured here (166?)?

Sorry this is off thread...

Thanks,
William
Surely not off thread...

No intention to make sacrilege but the closer tone i saw til now is the Speedster Blau (Reutter #602):

Name:  blu_speedster_24_RID.JPG
Views: 1527
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  blu_speedster_25_RID.JPG
Views: 1494
Size:  36.0 KB

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 11-13-2011 at 11:53 AM.
post #23 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamcorke View Post
I'm restoring a 1954 Lancia Aurelia B20 that was originally painted in a very similar colour. I haven't yet managed to track down the code.
The problem is that every Lancia color is codified by the producers (Lechler and Max meyer) except for the Aurelia.
My friend Geoff and i are studying the Aurelia colors with the intention of making an "official" list since a year.
In any case, i never saw a B20 IV series with that color, if you want to send to me a PM with some car data, maybe i could be helpful to you.
post #24 of 98 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 AM

Sand blasting time.

As supposed, the driver side floor is thin like paper, it will be replaced.
All the rest of the chassis is in very good shape.

Name:  IMG_0075.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  52.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0077.jpg
Views: 1525
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0060.jpg
Views: 1534
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0074.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  IMG_0070.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  50.6 KB

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 11-26-2011 at 09:19 AM.
post #25 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 10:46 PM

Here is the restored - rebuilt carburetor/air scoop assembly arrived few days ago from mr. Germani:

Name:  CARB1.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  CARB2.jpg
Views: 1440
Size:  130.3 KB

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 12-26-2011 at 10:55 PM.
post #26 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:47 AM

That alone is a work of art.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #27 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Happy New year to all AlfaBB-ers!

Jumping on topic again, the only non-FIAT numbers i found on the car, are printed on the front seats frame:

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  221.9 KB

Now, what would these numbers mean?

Part #12?

Car #12? Series 1 number 2?

I just don't know it, and probably i will never know it.

Francesco
post #28 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 06:13 PM

Seat #12

Please do not give up hope of learning the significance of the number "12".
It is too soon to pretend we know something yet, but it is also too soon to pretend that we will never know. We can even begin by pretending that we know something about normal practices. Mario Boano came from working at Ghia. From directing work at Ghia! He would have known about the numbering system employed by Ghia. He would have known more than we do currently about how that worked. He would have known that there was a useful purpose in having a numbering system. We can also presume that he would have been thinking "bigger" than doing production only with an eye to needing body numbers in two digits. If the number "12" reflects some sort of body body number, we can almost postulate that the number "12" is an abbreviation. We can be almost certain that it is not a "Series 1, number 2" body. It could certainly be a "number 12" body of a series of similar bodies. This would not surprise me at all. This would be a system very similar to that which was used by Ghia.

Now there are additional questions. Does the number "12" appear on parts of both seats and not just one of them? If so, we can eliminate the possibility that the seat maker numbered the seats individually, piece by piece, as he did the work. We cannot eliminate the possibility that the seat maker numbered his work in pairs. And we do not know that the seat-maker was working in-house at Boano. This could have been sub-contracted work?

It would be most "normal" if the number "12" reflects either a body number or a portion of it. It could be reflective of a true body number "12" or it could be the last two digits of a longer number. This is why it is important to look for clues in everything. From what we think we know of Boano production, it is not likely that the body is the 12th Boano body built, but it might be the 12th in a series or even the 12th body built after body numbering began. It could also be an arbitrary tracking number assigned by the folks doing the work but without an overall Boano format. This is not likely unless the seats were made by a subcontractor for Boano, as noted above.

If you wish to learn the significance of the "12", you will wish to make a serious effort to find it again somewhere in the car. You will wish to try to look at some additional Boano-bodied cars from the same time period of 1955-1956. Such a list could include a few Alfa Romeo 1900C, a couple of Chrysler Corp. specials, a few early Ferrari 250GT, some additional Fiat 1100/103, some Fiat 600, a Fiat 1400, a Jaguar XK140, a Lancia Appia and even the Lincoln "Indianapolis". There probably are others. Finding them will be one task and then getting permission to look them over (and under) carefully will be another. Even though they are earlier, there are a number of Abarth cars from 1955 that could be looked at carefully.

It is also possible that the coachbuilder "Ellena", in taking over the work of Boano, might have continued a numbering system begun by Boano? If that possibility should be found to be supportable in any way, there might be something to be learned by identifying the earliest Ellena body number ... if there is one. And, maybe you will wish to locate and speak to any workers who might still be able to recall such mundane details from 55 years ago.

Thanks for sharing a hint at a beginning of what should be a study. It remains to be seen how quickly another number can be added to the study, whether or not it seems to "make sense" when looked at together with the number "12" identified so far.

I have made none of the statements here as "proposed guesses". We don't know enough to make a real guess yet. But, we can consider some possibilities as being more likely than others while still keeping our minds open to all possibilities. When another number is identified, and if we can place an approximate date on that number, we will have another set of possibilities that may agree only with some of the many possibilities we have in front of us now. Add a third number and a fourth and ... maybe a pattern will emerge? Or not? Only then will we be able to make some real guesses ... that will still be guesses. After enough study, maybe we will begin to think we know something?

john
post #29 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 AM

Hi John,

i couldn't agree more on your considerations.
Numbering could be very different from a factory to another one. For example, my Italia 2000 has body#119, but on the seats rails and behind the dashboard panel there is #19 printed.

So far, watching in every little corner of the car, i didn't find other numbers apart of, obviously, the chassis number printed on the engine bay.

But here is another tricky question: the car was for sure painted in a medium blue tone (see second photo: so there was the steering column, the seats frame and so is the first layer of paint) but the aluminium between side doors and the body was painted in another kind of light blue (first photo, and there is no trace of the same blue in which the car was painted of):

Name:  DSC00115.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  39.9 KB

Name:  DSC00107.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  43.5 KB

Francesco

Last edited by fgsavoia; 01-03-2012 at 11:36 AM.
post #30 of 98 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Paint colors

From your brief description I don't know if you are looking at evidence of a two-tone paint job or if the color was simply changed early in the process of doing the paint job. Or perhaps the car was simply repainted at some time during its life?

I have painted cars and shot a bit of color onto a portion of a car only to decide that the color (or metallic effect) needed to be a bit different. There was no need to take the first coat of paint off of the area already sprayed. Just modify the pot of paint, stir, pour and shoot again. It might require more than one "test" to become satisfied? It used to be very simple to do this ... and many painters did custom tinting on the spot. Now, during restorations, many of us try really hard to make things fit standard factory color samples with the often mistaken assumption that all painters worked from set formulae every time they held a spray gun. This is not the case! The paint color is one of the first things an owner might change if he purchased a car in the "wrong color" simply because that is how he could have it now instead of waiting. We forget that it used to be quite inexpensive to do a paint job. The price of the chemicals is no longer inexpensive and the wages expected by "artistes" to do what is essentially a fairly simple process ... is sometimes mind-numbing.

No one expected a paint job to last forever. If it wasn't as expected or desired, it could be changed the next time it needed paint ... maybe after next weekend for a racing car!

As an aside, because I've seen subtle paint "effects" in recent years on cars that probably never had those effects in days of old ...

You've perhaps seen a car driving by that seemed to change color as the light hit it differently? This is not a new effect, and it is accomplished in different ways, but some people are better at it than others.

The award-winning paint jobs you see on many cars today are not like all paint jobs of yesteryear ... or even today. Some painters work hard to create special effects that will make a car "pop" in a specific environment, whether it is on a lawn, under a specific set of lights or simply out in bright sun. "Black" can have hidden hues of red, blue or green as well as other colors. Creative painters know that what we see in the topcoats is affected by the paint that lies underneath. Sometimes you can't see it until you are in certain lights but layers are sometimes applied that allow our eyes to see things that our brains don't know quite how to interpret. This can create a certain kind of interest that is often difficult to recognize or acknowledge. We sometimes say "deep" or "color-shift" or any number of descriptive terms to try to explain what we think we are seeing. When a paint-job captures your interest and you don't quite know why, spend some time looking more closely and see if you can figure out what has been done.

Tags
boano, giannini

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode