Sorting out my Fulvia - Page 5 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Shaun
You need a reproduction owners manual for the glove box. I got mine from Omicron.
Even though I drive my Fulvia every week I still refer to it from time to time.
I do exercise the heater valve ( the lever Ed refered to ) every time I drive it, from my experience with other Italian cars it seems the valve is more likely to fail if its left off all summer than from regular use

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
Shaun
You need a reproduction owners manual for the glove box. I got mine from Omicron.
Even though I drive my Fulvia every week I still refer to it from time to time.
I do exercise the heater valve ( the lever Ed refered to ) every time I drive it, from my experience with other Italian cars it seems the valve is more likely to fail if its left off all summer than from regular use
Oh, I've got the owner's manual.

It's really the best of its kind that I've seen, since it includes stuff like wiring diagrams and detailed tune up specs (as well as operating instructions for the 'air conditioning' system).

It's just that my reading skills are at the same abysmal level as my heating system operating skills before I've had my coffee.

Shaun Pond
1967 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #63 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 07:52 AM

Well if we ever get to do a driving event together we will be on the same page about the coffee, my day has to start with a quality cup!

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMMilano View Post
Well if we ever get to do a driving event together we will be on the same page about the coffee, my day has to start with a quality cup!
You're in luck. Most of the California old car events seem to start at or near coffee shops. Or, in the case of the Melee, they have coffee trucked in to the starting point.

This is a safety measure that I approve of.
Attached Images

Shaun Pond
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #65 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunpond View Post
Oh, I've got the owner's manual.

It's really the best of its kind that I've seen, since it includes stuff like wiring diagrams and detailed tune up specs (as well as operating instructions for the 'air conditioning' system).

This remined me of a time I went to a Boeing school, they kept on about "conditioned air". I had a hard time grasping the concept of hot air being "conditioned air" but thats the term they use any time a temperature change has been made, hot or cold. I guess the Italian translators use the same concept, some other manuals I have of the period also refer to "air conditioning" for the heat/vent system.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #66 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

The Fulvia has a fan for the heater??

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #67 of 175 (permalink) Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
The Fulvia has a fan for the heater??
Well, I've never met anyone who is a fan of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmmilano View Post
This remined me of a time I went to a Boeing school, they kept on about "conditioned air". I had a hard time grasping the concept of hot air being "conditioned air" but thats the term they use any time a temperature change has been made, hot or cold. I guess the Italian translators use the same concept, some other manuals I have of the period also refer to "air conditioning" for the heat/vent system.
The only time my Fulvia has working air conditioning (in the American sense of the term) is when I'm cornering faster than my codriver/spouse likes. Then, for some reason, it often seems to get real frosty inside the car.

Shaun Pond
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #68 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

A real quick update: Bought a new set of Vredestein Quatrac - 175/65TR14 tires for the car in preparation for the Snowball Rally next weekend (even got tire chains!!). Yesterday was the running of One Lap of Marin and I took the car out with it's new shoes to "break them in" a bit. I must say - so far I'm extremely pleased with the transformation. Car drives much smoother and feels less coarse in sharp corners. I only ever scrubbed the passenger tire once on the fender in a hairpin. Is it possible that different manufacturer's tires, even though listed as being the same size, are actually slightly different? I'd assume yes - but curious what other's think.
I'll have a more definitive report after the Snowball - maybe the scrubbing will return, I'm hoping not.

Jeff B.

gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #69 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
A real quick update: Bought a new set of Vredestein Quatrac - 175/65TR14 tires for the car in preparation for the Snowball Rally next weekend (even got tire chains!!). Yesterday was the running of One Lap of Marin and I took the car out with it's new shoes to "break them in" a bit. I must say - so far I'm extremely pleased with the transformation. Car drives much smoother and feels less coarse in sharp corners. I only ever scrubbed the passenger tire once on the fender in a hairpin. Is it possible that different manufacturer's tires, even though listed as being the same size, are actually slightly different? I'd assume yes - but curious what other's think.
I'll have a more definitive report after the Snowball - maybe the scrubbing will return, I'm hoping not.
Jeff, that's good news.

I think that, yes, there is some dimensional variance between tires of the same stated size. I can't find the web table I once found that demonstrated this.

From Norm's pictures (Norman S. Weinfeld's Albums), it looks like the One Lap of Marin was well represented by Lancias. Besides your Fulvia, I saw two Flavia GTs -- one with wire wheels -- and an Aurelia Spider.

See you next weekend in Sacramento.

Shaun Pond
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #70 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Jeff, that's good news.

I think that, yes, there is some dimensional variance between tires of the same stated size. I can't find the web table I once found that demonstrated this.

From Norm's pictures (Norman S. Weinfeld's Albums), it looks like the One Lap of Marin was well represented by Lancias. Besides your Fulvia, I saw two Flavia GTs -- one with wire wheels -- and an Aurelia Spider.

See you next weekend in Sacramento.
Yes - it's interesting - this was the year of the Flavia's - last year - the Flaminia's were everywhere and there were no Flavia's - this year - the complete reverse.

See ya soon!

Jeff B.

gone but not forgotten
post #71 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:22 PM

Further to the One Lap of Marin, for those who are interested:

Alfista Matt Hamilton has posted a good write up with pictures and a link to more pictures on his blog: giulietta sprints

Matt managed to catch Jeff in his Fulvia, presumably right after he discovered that the tires don't scrub anymore.

Regards
Attached Images

Shaun Pond
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #72 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
...I think that, yes, there is some dimensional variance between tires of the same stated size. I can't find the web table I once found that demonstrated this...
Not only is there dimensional variance in terms of overall diameter, but there are be significant differences in cross-sectional shape. Tires of the same indicated size can have squarer or rounder shoulders, and this can make all the difference in wheel well clearance.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF
post #73 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

So, I'm back from the Snowball. Looks like the problem was mostly in the tires. The new set has transformed the car - no longer scrubs, feels much smoother, etc. Now if I can just keep it under the speed limit, I'll be golden.

My camera developed issues - so no real good pictures to share. I'll borrow this one from a fellow Snowballer - taken at the beginning of the rally.
Attached Images

Jeff B.

gone but not forgotten
post #74 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Now if I can just keep it under the speed limit, I'll be golden.
For those who have had a rough Monday and can't break the code, here's what Jeff is referring to:
Attached Images

Shaun Pond
1962 Austin Healey 3000
post #75 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM

Sorry to see that. Saw the write-up on BaT; looks like it was a nice event. And I'm glad to learn that Jeff's tire issue has been sorted.

Ed
1970 Lancia Fulvia 1,6 HF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode