Sorting out my Fulvia - Page 12 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Update: The car is still consuming coolant, I've changed out the oil/filter, and have been regularly adding water to the radiator (about 3 litres in 450 miles of driving). Still have milkshake (and now water droplets since I changed to filling with just H2O). Also tried the above mentioned Alumiseal product - but no difference in consumption. I still need to re-torque the head, but I'm beginning to think it's destined for some big repairs. Hoping I'm wrong...

Jeff B.

'69 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3 S
gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 01:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to FANALONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfalfa View Post
Update: The car is still consuming coolant, I've changed out the oil/filter, and have been regularly adding water to the radiator (about 3 litres in 450 miles of driving). Still have milkshake (and now water droplets since I changed to filling with just H2O). Also tried the above mentioned Alumiseal product - but no difference in consumption. I still need to re-torque the head, but I'm beginning to think it's destined for some big repairs. Hoping I'm wrong...
Sorry to hear that I have a long block if you need some parts. is from 1.2 so I think, but with Jaans experties can make it perform as 1.6HF.

Lancia Fulvia 1.2HF 1966. Lancia Fulvia coupe 1.2 w/1.6HF 1st 1966. Lancia Fulvia Berlina GTE 1.3 1969. Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 1972. WWW.LALANCIA.COM
post #168 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Update: The car is still consuming coolant, I've changed out the oil/filter, and have been regularly adding water to the radiator (about 3 litres in 450 miles of driving). Still have milkshake (and now water droplets since I changed to filling with just H2O).
Bummer. Have you checked to see if the leak is pressurizing the radiator? That's usually a head gasket but it can also be a cracked head. Another possibility for the oil in the water is that you have water getting past the liners into the crankcase, although I don't remember if Fulvia liners are slip fit or pressed fit like the Flaminia. You are right to do a retorque. Then drive it gently for awhile and see what happens. You might get lucky, although it's sure looking like the motor has to come out for a rebuild. Time for a little more compression, cams, and a ported head.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #169 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:36 PM

Fulvia doesn't have liners, completely different from the V6's in this regard.

Have you had it sniff tested, that's usually the best way of finding a small leak?

1969 Lancia Fulvia Fanalone
post #170 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Haven't had it sniff tested - as I'm not sure the exhaust gases will tell me much. I know there is coolant disappearing and my oil is still contaminated (BTW: there does not appear to be any cross contamination - no oil in the coolant). Am I missing the function of the sniff test? My big question is how do you know the crack is located in the head versus the block?? I don't want to change out the head - only to find out that it's still consuming coolant and the block needs to be replaced.

Jeff B.

gone but not forgotten
'79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce/'77 Alfetta Sedan /'76 Alfetta Sedan/'75 Alfetta Sedan
post #171 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:59 PM

My question is how do you know its got a crack?

I know you said someone (Jaan?) had seen plenty of cracked heads - I have never seen or heard of one in over 20 years, never heard it mentioned by anyone in the UK. Head gasket would still be my bet.

You can get the head pressure tested, but you need to take the head off and find a competent workshop.

If you really feel you have eliminated the head gasket, then I think your only next move is to remove the engine and take it bits.

Not sure I can offer any more advice or help.

1969 Lancia Fulvia Fanalone
post #172 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncundy View Post
My question is how do you know its got a crack?

I know you said someone (Jaan?) had seen plenty of cracked heads - I have never seen or heard of one in over 20 years, never heard it mentioned by anyone in the UK. Head gasket would still be my bet.

You can get the head pressure tested, but you need to take the head off and find a competent workshop.

Jaan has a very good reputation.

The head needs to come off anyway, so it can be tested.

Sorry to disappoint but if this happened to my Fulvia, or anyones engine I was working on, I would not be comfortable without a complete tear down. The internals need a through cleaning, oil galleys etc.. or you risk more expensive damage down the road.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #173 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Platinum Subscriber

Um...so did some of you miss where I had a new head gasket put on? Or, are you suggesting that the new head gasket is bad and it needs to be replaced a second time?

Neil, I am just assuming a crack to be the culprit. I believe the head gasket blew at the beginning of the rally. I proceeded to drive the car hard for 8 + hours before I was able to check fluids the next morning. I had been running with very little coolant in the system, and while the temp gauge never got even hot - I now think that is because there was no coolant touching the gauge sensor. So, I imagine it would be easy enough to crack the head or block from running all day without much coolant in the system?

Let me just say this to all your do-it-yourselfer's: Please be patient with me, I'd love nothing more than to be able to do all my own work. However, I never inherited the car gene from my parents - no one in my family gives a lick about cars. My obsession with cars came at an early age, and was not exactly "encouraged". I wasn't raised around cars, and I didn't attend schools that had 'shop' classes. I can't go back to school to learn about mechanics on new cars that I don't care about. So where does that leave me? Well, ever since I've had my own car, I've had older Italian cars. I've always taken excellent care of them, and for the most part they have rewarded me with the driving experience that I love so much. This is the first time I've encountered something like this - I have questions - and I apprecate the expertise and experience that many of you have, and would like your imput. That is why I created and continue to update this thread.

Lastly, in defense of Jaan: He's E X T R E M E L Y busy. He really likes that fact that my Fulvia is my daily driver, and he is nice enough to push me to the front of his extremely long line of clients when I need his help. He knows I need the car running asap and he's always incredibly helpful. In return, I try to do as much research as possible so that I can tell him what to focus on.

Jeff B.

gone but not forgotten
post #174 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post

I recommend finding a new daily driver for to many obvious reasons. What are you driving when this is laid up?

I cant disagree more! I commend you for using your Fulvia as intended.
Parts may not be locally available but once sorted the Fulvia will be at least as reliable as a Tahoe. I use mine at least once a week, it juat has to share time with the other old Italians.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850
post #175 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotandtralee View Post
I own a Fulvia.. what's your point (and three other 1972 Alfas or older)? I was trying to support you. If that's all we disagree on we've made progress. Some of us don't live in a climate where we can drive them daily. Sorry, but commuting in my cars isn't exactly how I derive the maximum pleasure from them, not counting insurance issues.

I've been hosed over before for owning a Mercedes Benz by someone on this thread. Please don't do the same for my wife's beloved hauler (Tahoe) that is pretty darned practical.
Hey to each his own.

You were the one that recommened sfalfa get something else, thats
what I dont agree with.

I think its great that he's using the Fulvia as a dailey driver and my point is that it's certainly feasable to so. There seem to be several members here that are doing just that, and you are right they all live in mild climates.

As a side note, my biggest fear with running a vintage car where I live is broken windshields. I grew up in California and never remember my father replacing a windshield, here its a biannual event.

87 Milano Platinum
76 Alfetta GT race car
70 Fulvia 1.3 Rally S
68 Fiat 850

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode