Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/)
-   Off-Topic Talk (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/)
-   -   Do you believe in "global warming?" (https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/off-topic-talk/72795-do-you-believe-global-warming.html)

randyleepublic 04-20-2008 12:48 AM

Do you believe in "global warming?"

I get so fricken pissed when I read this crap. Global warming is the biggest pack of lies and bullsh*t ever promulgated to the public, beating even Bush's WMD.

CO2 IS NOT POLLUTION!!! CO2 IS WHAT PLANTS BREATHE TO TURN CARBON INTO FOOD. FOOD THAT WE EAT, ONLY SOME OF US DON'T GET ENOUGH TO EAT, LIKE SEVERAL THOUSAND EACH AND EVERY DAY WHO DIE OF STARVATION.

People are so stupid they will believe any nonsense if "authorities" say it. Cripes!

sh0rtlife 04-20-2008 03:30 AM

"over population" is the real issue...global warming is a bunch of horse**** any way you slice it

the more we breed the more we consume the more land we require and the less plant life on the planet to such down the CO2

we need to march "idiots" into wars ...stupid breeds stupid......war, famine, plague...natures cure for overpopulation

Geezer 04-20-2008 04:21 AM

Human caused climate change is pure hogwash. The next big load of BS is converting our food source into inefficent fuels to replace fossel fuels. What's unfortunate is that there are so many "lemmings" out the who are so willing to jump off a cliff over false assumptions.

As I recall it wasn't too long ago when the Chicken Littles were saying that if we don't change our ways we would plunge the planet into an ice age. Now they are using the same "evidence" to scare us into believing that we are now burning up the planet.

What's a fellow to believe?

Dan Walker 04-20-2008 10:43 AM

I believe in global warming- it's April, and it's already warmer than it was in January! I'm afraid it may get worse by July- although my buddy in Sydney claims it's actually getting COOLER there! I think we're all going to die! Seriously, I think solar cycles have a lot more to do with it than man, although I think we are constantly doing more to make more efficient cars, energy, etc.- the Chinese notwithstanding. How come they are not the bad guys in all this greenhouse gas malarky? :confused:

Geezer 04-20-2008 11:04 AM

sh0rtlife,

I think that you have it nailed with overpopulation. Just look at Calif for an example. There are essentailly 3 population centers, San Diego, Los Angeles, & San Farncisco. In those areas folks are stacked on top of each other like cord wood. Those folks are living in a sewer. Now the rest of the state is pristine but life there is inconvient when compaired to the cities.

Now take a look at the flyover parts of the country where folks are spread out. Down here we are permitted to burn trash piles, operate 2 cycle machinery, and no smog laws are enforced. We have wonderful blue skies, everything grows like weeds, & wildlife is abundant. Maybe there is something to spreading out.

It seems that the Chicken Littles are only looking at their own pathetic sewers in which tey live and ignoring the whole picture. I say make the folks who chose live in the sewer clean up their own mess and leave the rest of us alone.

msiert 04-20-2008 11:06 AM

It doesn't matter the world will come to end on Dec. 21, 2012 anyway. :mad:

Pat Braden 04-20-2008 11:19 AM

Do You Believe in "Global Warming"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Walker (Post 532609)
I believe in global warming- it's April, and it's already warmer than it was in January! I'm afraid it may get worse by July- although my buddy in Sydney claims it's actually getting COOLER there! I think we're all going to die! Seriously, I think solar cycles have a lot more to do with it than man, although I think we are constantly doing more to make more efficient cars, energy, etc.- the Chinese notwithstanding. How come they are not the bad guys in all this greenhouse gas malarky? :confused:

All I know is that it seems to be hotter every year, my air-conditioning has to run longer, and my SCE bill is higher. There must be some connection between the three other than I don't tolerate heat well; and yes, no matter what my depression-era grandparents told me about the car getting less gas mileage running the air-conditioning, I run it...whether, it's global warming or something else, hard to say. I agree that, where I live we're restricted to death with this and that, with more to come with going more and more green. I do notice that the smog days are more tolerable and not nearly as bad as when I was child where your eyes watered constantly, your chest hurt, and it was hot. Those of you that live in hotter and muggier places than me, I admire you.

Are you suggesting that not only did Al Gore lose the presidential election where the popular vote indicated otherwise, thanks to the Supreme Court, hanging chads, the State of Florida; and he won a Nobel Peace Prize for something that doesn't exist or that we don't believe exists? I wonder if he plays the lottery? ;)

randyleepublic 04-20-2008 12:40 PM

I am not talking about global warming per se. Obviously the globe gets hotter and colder over time.

I am talking about the theory that combustion of fossil fuels releasing CO2 into the atmosphere is some kind of crisis deserving of great privation by people to curtail the emission of said CO2.

I think that the above theory is highly pernicious nonesense. Purely one more arrow in the government control-the-public quiver, just like the war on terrorism. No different at all whatsoever - pure propaganda (lies) to enable greater taxation - "for our own good."

Dan Walker 04-20-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Braden (Post 532630)
Are you suggesting that not only did Al Gore lose the presidential election where the popular vote indicated otherwise, thanks to the Supreme Court, hanging chads, the State of Florida; and he won a Nobel Peace Prize for something that doesn't exist or that we don't believe exists? I wonder if he plays the lottery? ;)

Actually, some recent statistics have shown that the global climate has been relatively stable over the last ten years, this year actually relecting some cooling trends. That is why we hear less about global warming, the new accepted and politically correct term being "climate change". I remember being scared to death in the '70s about global cooling and the impending ice age, the that we would never survive the '80s due to running out of oil and the population explosion (I actually attended one of Dr. Paul Erlich's classes on "Population, Resources and Environment"- scared the hell out of me back then). These are real problems that we still have to contend with on a global basis, but they were grossly overstated, based on flawed data and proved to be founded more on politically than scientifically driven agendas. The scare mongers have wised up some, in that they now project our man-made doom out farther than they used to. In the good old days, we were going to destroy ourselves in 5-10 years, easy now to look back on and see how flawed the analysis and assumptions were. Today, the pundits of doom give themselves 50-100 years in their predictions, which gives them a lot more "wiggle room" to change their predicitons and conclusions, depending on which way the climate goes. We can't predict the weather accurately a week out, and these guys know what the climate is going to do in a century! The earth's climate has never been static- it's been warmer, it's been colder, CO2 has been higher and lower, who is to say what change is benficial or harmful? Would another ice age be preferable to warmer temperatures? I just don't like one sided debates on any issue, and it seems we are only supposed to hear one point of view on the climate, and shut out any opposing debate.

And yeah, I guess we should retroactively scrap the Electoral College- then Nixon might have won in '60, Chicago shenanagans notwithstanding- what a joy that would have been! I think the founding fathers knew what they were doing, and as far as Bush being "given" the election by the Supreme Court, no matter how many times the hand picked, Democrat controlled counties were recounted, the result was always the same. It had to stop somewhere, otherwise we could still be recounting results from every county and precinct in the country, ad nauseum. I think the fact that Gore kept the results in limbo for so long and the countries leadership undecided was a poor reflection on his character. I also think the media should bear a lot of blame for the premature announcement of Gore's victory in Florida, and the bitterness and divisiveness that has existed in our country ever since. 2000 is way behind us, so let's get on with it, and vote our concious this year and try to come together as a nation and solve our very real problems, energy and Middle East policies being key.

As far as Gore winning the Nobel prize, a look at the Nobel committee and recipients of the awards in recent years causes one to wonder about their objectivity- they seem to be more political, especially with the Peace Prize awards. Giving the award to Carter and Arafat comes to mind- what great statesmen and peacemakers they represent! A close examination of Gore's grand personal lifestyle, the stake he has in selling "carbon credits" to us little people, which stands to reap him billions of dollars personally makes me doubt his high moral footing in all this. I think we should do everything we can to develop energy independence, but we seem to be our own worst enemy here most of the time. Oh, well, enough ranting from me- I guess none of this will matter if the earth is going to end in 2012 as the Mayans predicted, anyway!:p

randyleepublic 04-20-2008 01:39 PM

Dan your optimism is touching, but do you really think that we can have a rational discussion of energy policy while all this GW hubbub is taking place? Hell, we already have new taxes in California to fight the "problem." The whole thing makes me nauseous.

Only bright note is that there is in fact an alcohol type fuel that is practical and can be made from cellulose, not food, i.e. wood pulp, switch grass, hemp, and the like, butanol. Butanol has most of the BTUs of gasoline and burns cleaner. Net result is that your car, if tuned for it, would actually get better mileage with butanol than with gasoline. Not corrosive either.

We don't really need it what with all the new oil fields that they are finding, (none in the US though), but it is nice to know that a domestically and renewably produced fuel is practical for our Italian Sweethearts.

randyleepublic 04-20-2008 01:47 PM

P.S. the problem with elections is not the electoral college. It's the voting machines. Wholesale fraud on the half shell. Not to mention the disaster that has ensued from us straying from the original formula the founding fathers devised: the Senators are NOT supposed to be elected. They are supposed to be selected by the State Legislatures - that way the balance between state's rights and the feds is maintained. But we lost that in 1913. OOOPS! (Is it a coincidence that was the same year that we got the Federal Reserve and income tax? Hmmm...)

randyleepublic 04-20-2008 01:53 PM

Back on topic, I propose that not only is CO2 not a problem, in fact, it represents the solution to a problem: starvation. Warming be damned, we should never forget that we live on a planet where thousands of people starve to death every day. Of course you never hear "saints" like Gore talking about that.

Funny thing: CO2 increases plant productivity. Burn fossil fuels and food should become cheaper, easing, to at least some small extent, starvation.

Geezer 04-20-2008 02:41 PM

Yep plants thrive on CO2 the byproduct of plant consumption of CO2 is O2. Cut off the source of CO2 and no more O2.

The problem with starvation is not that there is not enough food, it's the corrupt dictators who live a lavish lifestyle at the expense of the folks & governments that want their folks to starve. It has nothing to do with climite change or the use of fossil fuels.

Chsmadden 04-20-2008 02:48 PM

Yes
If you want me to rant I will.
All you have to do is say so.

MarcusHMM 04-20-2008 04:27 PM

Sounds like a member or three might be also members of DU, The vast conspiracy of ballot fraud has stolen every election since the liberals have lost. Well at the last meeting of the 10,000 people that are perpetrating the fraud we all promised not to do it again.

We are having a hard time keeping the secret. Guess William Pitt and Mark Crispin Miller must have infiltrated our meeting at some time and went unrecognized by our brown shirt squad.

Boy are we red faced over that. Their statistics prove we did it, but then who was the last person elected by statistics. So that was easy to blow off. But now we are caught and we promise to stop rigging things right after we let Hillary win. Wait, or did we vote (and we did count for real) to let Obama win this time.

Maybe the liberals should take our "How to Not Count The Vote" classes. At least we are sneaky enough not to come right out and tell a state or even two that their votes are of no consequence. If it was that simple we would have done it like that years ago.

Now let's get back to our real sneaky naughty dirty tricks like suiciding Paul Wellstone.