Do you believe in "global warming?" - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 318Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy View Post
I'm so glad to see other people who aren't vehemently opposed to the idea that the sky isn't falling!!!!

The British court ruled that "An Inconvenient Truth" can't be shown in the classroom without addressing the inconsistencies and exaggeration in the film (see ABC News: Nobel for Al Gore, Did You Know About Factual Mistakes in His Movie? ).

While pollution isn't a new topic (anybody remember the ozone hole in the '70s?), the Prius-huggers haven't ever checked into the nickel mine up in Canada, have they? Or tracked exactly where their batteries were manufactured... or how much <gasp!> GASOLINE was used to transport the nickel from country to country until the car was built... No. They don't do that. They just pay extra at the dealer so they can "feel good".

More places globally had severe winters than not THIS year. So are we all going to freeze to death? It is ridiculous to speculate (unless, of course, you're going for government grants and can't get money unless you make it sound like a pending disaster!)....

I say, we use up the fossil fuels and let future generations figure it out.

Let's not even go there on the ozone layer. Dupont had the patent for Freon. It ran out. Everybody was making and selling Freon since it is the ideal refrigerant. Says Dupont, "We gotta do sumpin about this!" Abacadabra! "The sky, (ozone layer), is falling!!" No one has ever been able to explain how Freon gets into the stratosphere, but that's OK, we have a new refrigerant: R134. Patent held by, GUESS WHO? That's right, Dupont.

Look, dumping poison in a river is very bad sh*t. I keep my catalytic converters hooked up and working. But most of the rest of this is blatant manipulation of our ever gullible public.

I think CO2 is good for the ecosphere. At the same time I am looking to go into the butanol business since without competition, the fine chaps at Big Oil will raise prices indefinitely.

Randy Lee

"HAVE another cookie!!" - Don Corrado Prizzi

Randy's Italian Lot:
1978 Sport Sedan - "Cecilia", a rustfree Alfetta
1990 Mondial T Cabrio - Engine major service, climate control overhaul, and interior tune up still to go - Short is on it!!
1958 Giullietta Sprint. "G.Sprint" No holds barred. 3.0 Liter 12 Valve V6 and Verde transaxle just to get warmed up!
1976 Alfetta GT. Twin 45 Dellortos. Alfetta maintainence drug while Cecilla gets restored.
1978 Alfetta GT. Ex Keith Martin, and getting a nice set of Euro Bumpers along with the rest of the good parts off the '76.
ON HOLD 196x Lancia Flaminia Sedan - name and the rest TBD.

Ex:
79 Spt Sdn. "Griswold" and never-driven '74 Spider sold to Harry Riley
74 Spider "Isabel" traded for "Cecilia" Thanks Ric!
(Look at Isabel now:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!)
1979 Sport Sedan Alfamatic. Traded to Wilbur for a very sweet bicycle - thanks!
All the parts cars chopped up or sent to Larry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

P. S. Stands to reason that the few sensible folks left in the nation would turn up here.

Good taste in cars = brains in head.

Randy Lee

Randy's Italian Lot:
1990 Mondial T Cabrio - Engine major service, climate control overhaul, and interior tune up still to go - Short is on it!!
1958 Giullietta Sprint. "G.Sprint" No holds barred. 3.0 Liter 12 Valve V6 and Verde transaxle just to get warmed up!
1976 Alfetta GT. Twin 45 Dellortos. Alfetta maintainence drug while Cecilla gets restored.
1978 Alfetta GT. Ex Keith Martin, and getting a nice set of Euro Bumpers along with the rest of the good parts off the '76.

Ex:
(Look at Isabel now:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!)
post #33 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jontg428
Here is my .02 cents. Yes global warming is happening at an alarming rate. The data collected from the air trapped in ice core samples from thousands of years ago supports this. The carbon we are releasing into the atmosphere via fossil fuels had been trapped until it was discovered, and then burned. It will then repeat itself and the earth will repeat the cycle it did many thousands of years go. The only difference is that way back then Volcanic activity led to high CO2 output and hence a wamer planet, now its humans and their cars that are doing it, only at a far higher rate. If anything else, getting off of fossil fuels for the mainstream motorist is a good thing, as good old fossil fuel will not be around forever. I think the real solution is conservation, and building more nuclear power plants to fuel electric vehicles combined with solar and biomass fuels. As I see it, right now we are living on borrowed time, when the oil dries up, we are all screwed.

Again the proud owner of the White Dragon and a 2010 Jetta TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM

jontg428, Be serious, do you REALLY think the lefty nuts south west of you (San Fran) are going let nuclear power plants be built near you? It a city of fruits and nuts where anything goes except nuclear power and the US military. It is OK to B#@G your freinds wife. Ask the mayor. You are drinking the Kool Aid.

Last edited by jimcra; 04-21-2008 at 08:59 PM.
post #35 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 PM

I am just a realist, thats all, if we need more electric cars we need more power plants, preferably nuclear. As for city of fruits, last I checked your area of habitation is probably about as fruity as ours is, especially the laguna beach area, so while they may not want us to have nuclear power, at least I can express a desire to have it. As for the Kool Aid, so long as it has gin in it!

post #36 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:33 PM

Do You Believe in "Global Warming?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontg428 View Post
... As for the Kool Aid, so long as it has gin in it!
If I'm not mistaken, I believe he was referring to a particular mixture of Kool-Aid served in Guyana by Jim Jones to his followers that were "blinded" by the light or truth.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #37 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:15 PM

I know that was what he was referring to, its a common reference these days, sadly some people do not know why people refer to it as Kool Aid.

post #38 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontg428 View Post
The data collected from the air trapped in ice core samples from thousands of years ago supports this. The carbon we are releasing into the atmosphere via fossil fuels had been trapped until it was discovered, and then burned. It will then repeat itself and the earth will repeat the cycle it did many thousands of years go. The only difference is that way back then Volcanic activity led to high CO2 output and hence a wamer planet, now its humans and their cars that are doing it, only at a far higher rate. If anything else, getting off of fossil fuels for the mainstream motorist is a good thing, as good old fossil fuel will not be around forever. I think the real solution is conservation, and building more nuclear power plants to fuel electric vehicles combined with solar and biomass fuels. As I see it, right now we are living on borrowed time, when the oil dries up, we are all screwed.
Two points: the ice core samples merely prove that the CO2 content of the atmosphere was higher in the past, then lower, now it is starting to rise up again. Seems to me that when there was elevated CO2, the planet was one vast rain forest with enough food around to support vast populations of dinosaurs who were cold-blooded and stupid, i.e. had poor adaptive abilities, and yet they thrived. I think it would be an improvement if people didn't die of exposure to cold and hunger like they do now.

As far as running out of fossil fuels, it is a long ways off. We discover new fields all the time. Did you hear about Brasil? Canada is swimming in oil sands. The ocean floors are largely unexplored. All that said, what needs to drive these discussions is not guilt-based psuedo-science but cold-blooded economics. In other words, if the US continues to import mass quantities of fossil fuels, how does this affect our economy, and are there alternatives that are economically justifiable. We have lived far too long in a fantasy land where our policy decisions are based on emotional halucinations having little or no connection or consideration of the economic results of those policies. I doubt that this will go on much longer, however, the next phase is likely to be even worse, as the poorly educated populace looks for scapgoats for the dire situation in which they find themselves. A situation whose development is painfully obvious if one just makes the slightest effort to consider the implications of our actions.

The US had tremendous wealth generated through 120 years of flawed but fundementally sound economic policy. 95 years ago things went wrong and they have been getting worse ever since. The last 20 years have been totally irrational chaos. The ride is almost over. In the meantime, if I can find a way to make a business synthesizing butanol from domestic materials, I will. I think that business might just survive the changes that are soon to pass.

Back on topic: solar power may be a much better alternative than nuclear. Think of the thousands of sqaure miles of desert we own. Think of the the billions of dollars we have spent and are spending in Iraq. Now take that money and instead cover the desert with solar panels. The put wind turbines in between the solar panels because if it isn't sunny, it's usually windy.

Ooops, too late.

Randy Lee

Randy's Italian Lot:

Ex:
(Look at Isabel now:
!!)
post #39 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:22 AM

jontg, You got me on that one about Laguna, but they aren't crazy in Laguna. Beautiful area. We do have the San Onofre plant down the road and you can drink Kool Aid and gin on the beach at "Old Mans'" and Trestles. It actually sounds good, I think.
post #40 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyleepublic View Post
Two points: the ice core samples merely prove that the CO2 content of the atmosphere was higher in the past, then lower, now it is starting to rise up again. Seems to me that when there was elevated CO2, the planet was one vast rain forest with enough food around to support vast populations of dinosaurs who were cold-blooded and stupid, i.e. had poor adaptive abilities, and yet they thrived. I think it would be an improvement if people didn't die of exposure to cold and hunger like they do now.

As far as running out of fossil fuels, it is a long ways off. We discover new fields all the time. Did you hear about Brasil? Canada is swimming in oil sands. The ocean floors are largely unexplored. All that said, what needs to drive these discussions is not guilt-based psuedo-science but cold-blooded economics. In other words, if the US continues to import mass quantities of fossil fuels, how does this affect our economy, and are there alternatives that are economically justifiable. We have lived far too long in a fantasy land where our policy decisions are based on emotional halucinations having little or no connection or consideration of the economic results of those policies. I doubt that this will go on much longer, however, the next phase is likely to be even worse, as the poorly educated populace looks for scapgoats for the dire situation in which they find themselves. A situation whose development is painfully obvious if one just makes the slightest effort to consider the implications of our actions.

The US had tremendous wealth generated through 120 years of flawed but fundementally sound economic policy. 95 years ago things went wrong and they have been getting worse ever since. The last 20 years have been totally irrational chaos. The ride is almost over. In the meantime, if I can find a way to make a business synthesizing butanol from domestic materials, I will. I think that business might just survive the changes that are soon to pass.

Back on topic: solar power may be a much better alternative than nuclear. Think of the thousands of sqaure miles of desert we own. Think of the the billions of dollars we have spent and are spending in Iraq. Now take that money and instead cover the desert with solar panels. The put wind turbines in between the solar panels because if it isn't sunny, it's usually windy.

Ooops, too late.

I don't understand what it is that you don't believe. Do you not believe that the Earth is warming? Or is it that you don't believe what people are blaming for the warming?

As for new oil discoveries, they are few and far between. Most of the discoveries you hear about are not really new pools. Typically they are extensions.

The three Brazilian fields (Tupi, Carioca and Jupiter) contain a large amount of recoverable oil. However, it isn't going to be cheap. These fields lie beneath 7,000 ft of water and are at a total depth of 22,000 ft. Plus, they have to drill through a salt cap rock. I don't need to remind you that salt is extremely corrosive to the steel casing used in the wells. That makes it a costly engineering challenge. What makes it worse is that these fields contain heavy oil. These three new fields will hardly make a dent in the oil supply. I wouldn't expect more than a few hundred thousand barrels of oil per day from these fields.

Saudi Arabia just brought a new field online, called Khurais. It too had it's share of costly engineering challenges. It's only going to add 1.2 million barrels of oil/day to their output.

Oil from Canada's oil sands have not been produced because of the great cost in doing so. Now that oil is at $118/barrel, it will probably happen. If I remember correctly, they strip mine this stuff. YUK!

According to the EIA, the US uses about 21 million barrels of oil per day. That is about a quarter of the worlds total consumption.

I'm with you that solar energy is the way to go. Home builders can start adding solar panels as optional upgrades to new houses (that's when the market recovers). Just think if entire subdivisions were built with solar panels on their roofs.

Brian __________________________________

post #41 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post

I'm with you that solar energy is the way to go. Home builders can start adding solar panels as optional upgrades to new houses (that's when the market recovers). Just think if entire subdivisions were built with solar panels on their roofs.
If it's not already in the association rules, I can see it coming....no solar panels; if I can't paint my house xyz color, or have a satellite dish, can you imagine solar panels obstructing anyone's view, including the birds? And no, I don't live in an associated controlled area, but many of my friends do.

I drive by the local one with picketers/protesters out daily about their $345. per month association dues in addition to their mortgage payment, property taxes, living expenses etc. Imagine paying that a month to be told what you're allowed to do.

Cheryl
post #42 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:42 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Braden View Post
If it's not already in the association rules, I can see it coming....no solar panels; if I can't paint my house xyz color, or have a satellite dish, can you imagine solar panels obstructing anyone's view, including the birds? And no, I don't live in an associated controlled area, but many of my friends do.

I drive by the local one with picketers/protesters out daily about their $345. per month association dues in addition to their mortgage payment, property taxes, living expenses etc. Imagine paying that a month to be told what you're allowed to do.
Solar shingles are also available.

Really, Cheryl, your friends choose to live in those communities. So, if they choose to live there, then they choose to abide by the rules and pay the dues. But, this really has nothing to do with the topic of Global Warming.

Brian __________________________________

post #43 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:43 AM

C'mon, guys! Get with the program-we call it "Climate Change" now, not "Global Warming"- that way, it's a crisis no matter what the global temperature is, or CO2 levels are, etc. etc- and we can be taxed more, be forced to turn food into fuel (starving masses be damned), and a whole new industry of guilt and beauracracy can be firmly forced on us. I truly feel we need to develop energy independence- drilling in ANWAR and the Gulf would be a good start, but the same people crying about CC or GW and our energy dependence on the middle East are blocking us from developing our own resources. The same goes for nuclear energy- with proper safeguards (as even Three Mile Island demonstrates), it is a great source of power- France is doing great with it's nuclear power program, and even the Russians learned from their mistakes in cutting corners at Chrenobyl. Solar and Wind are good technologies in the right places, but require a large initial investment in hardware. Geo-thrermal will work in some places, but has it's limitations. We've probably done nearly as much as we can in Hydro-Electric, which was our first big step in clean energy production (I'm still amazed at Hoover Dam- great tour, amazing accomplishment based on 1930's technology). We still have huge, untouched reserves of shale oil and coal, which can be made into clean burrning fuel with new technologies- again, not cheap, but doable. Ultimately, we'll develop Hydrogen as a fuel source- the most abundant element in the universe, burns clean, but it will take a huge committment to develop plants to convert water to hydrogen and oxygen- we need to get real and start a national effort to get a cohesive energy policy, keep getting more efficient and quit being our own worst enemy in developing our own technologies and resources. We will end up paying more for energy in the future- the cost of developing new technologies, infrastructures, etc. It wasn't cheap a hundred years ago to drill for oil, but it paid off, still supplies us with our energy needs, and made money for those with the foresight to invest in the future of this new insustry. Unfortunatly, I don't see anyone in either party that is taking the lead here. We are being done a great disservice by our Universities, government and scientific community, who seem to be thriving on fear mongering, getting funding, raising taxes, and are doing very little real work to solve the problems we face. Sigh.....

Dan Walker
'67 Duetto
post #44 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 08:49 AM

Hydrogen may be the most abundant in the universe, but it still takes a lot of energy to break it loose form whatever it is bound to. it has been known for years that it takes at least 3 times as much energy to break hydrogen and oxygen from water than you can get from using them.
most "alternative" fuel sources have been handicaped by not being alowed to opoerate or compete fairly, ethanol for instance, only using the kernals of corn to make it, not very efficient, but to polititians, ethanol is whiskey and whiskey comes from corn. using the whole plant, or other plants higher in sugar content is much more efficient.
here in Kansas, someone wants to build new coal plants, they say wind costs more, and using their figures, a million dollars a mile for transmission lines. what a crock, how much for the transmission lines for the coal plant? must be free.
post #45 of 2918 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossodiseppia View Post
Solar shingles are also available.

Really, Cheryl, your friends choose to live in those communities. So, if they choose to live there, then they choose to abide by the rules and pay the dues. But, this really has nothing to do with the topic of Global Warming.
Brian,

It does apply to global warming in my locale as far as your suggestion to a possible solution; just pointing out that the legal eagles could be opposing forces to any suggestion toward a solution as in other government/associated controlled issues. I imagine the millions of dollars that my city has spent on controlling train whistles some how contributes to global warming with all that whistle exhaust being expelled into the air. I agree out in the middle of Kansas or Michigan it may not be a regulated problem or issue.

Thanks for the information on solar shingles, something to consider in re-roofing and heat/air-conditioning considerations, which I assume some how tie to global warming and for the oil field explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Walker
We are being done a great disservice by our Universities, government and scientific community, who seem to be thriving on fear mongering, getting funding, raising taxes, and are doing very little real work to solve the problems we face. Sigh
And not to forget the ecological balance. There are many protected areas that cannot be drilled, as far as oil, because of where they are located off shore or what effect they would have on the ecosystems, marine life etc. Every time some one suggests a new procedure or opening up a closed field, the lawsuits are forth coming. It appears to be a vicious circle where balance cannot be achieved.

And just for fun, how Alaskan Polar Bears are dealing with global warming:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lz4Rs2F3ZSg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lz4Rs2F3ZSg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Cheryl

Last edited by Pat Braden; 04-23-2008 at 09:30 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode