Do you believe in "global warming?" - Page 183 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 311Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2731 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:57 PM

I love this thread. You come back after a few days, there are more posts but the two sides are still arguing the same things. More fun than a day at the county fair.....

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
I love this thread. You come back after a few days, there are more posts but the two sides are still arguing the same things. More fun than a day at the county fair.....
Should just take a poll and close the thread.
post #2733 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post
I agree!

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie57 View Post
But on the unaltered data side, it keeps getting more convincing.
Only one climate history and one explanation--orbital mechanics now supplemented by Svensmark and Shaviv's work on cosmic rays.
Hottest July 18 Day in Western States:

https://realclimatescience.com/2019/...he-western-us/

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #2735 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:49 PM

@6alfas & @rcss You are under no obligation to come here and your absence is in no way missed. This thread has been going on for quite some time and, while it has waxed and waned, the discourse has generally been rather civil . . . and interesting enough to generate fairly constant dialogue. Since freedom of expression is something we should all value, that in itself ought to be enough to justify its continuation. Nonetheless, if the existence of this thread is troubling you, I suggest that you exercise your freedom of thought and discretion and simply stay away. As a matter of fact, you'd probably feel a lot better if you just pretended that we were not here. That shouldn't be all that hard to do because you sort of have to look for this forum in order to find this thread. All the best.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #2736 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:01 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
I've been asking the climate deniers for months to post peer reviewed research supporting their conclusions, or at least post peer-reviewed research they disagree with coupled with specific objections.

Alas, all I get are blogs (usually the same one over and over), editorials, and rants about politicians. Don't claim one side of a political divide is ignoring science if you are unwilling to engage in the science yourself.
I posted a link with straight up data.
Liberals going on about "peer review" is some kind of an attempt at propaganda.
I just rely upon my own research.

Bob,
post #2737 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:32 AM

Garage
I’ve tried real hard to stay out of this discussion, but am compelled to weigh in today because I hate seeing people I like and generally respect citing pseudo-science and buying into mythology being promoted by some.

As background, I’ve been working as an environmental professional since 1973, focusing on various aspects of marine and freshwater aquatic environments. Early in my career I collected water and air temperature data on NOAA ships working from the Atlantic coast to Alaska and the far Pacific. Most of my work in the past 35 years has been for commercial airports, port authorities and private industry, and often employing computer models that incorporate weather as an influencing factor. I work with other environmental professionals in commercial, government and research sectors who are dealing with this issue, from the basic science to planning and designing infrastructure for the extreme conditions we’ll be seeing in the future. My opinions on this topic are based on both my experience and knowledge of the data and science. Based on that, there is no doubt in my mind (or those of essentially all folks who work with climate change issues) that humans are a major driving factor behind the rapid climate changes we are experiencing.

What moved me to post is this science-based analysis of an article that Fox News claims to prove that humans aren’t a factor. https://climatefeedback.org/claimrev...lobal-warming/

Please read this analysis before citing the Fox News claim, because it is demonstrably incorrect and you run the risk of embarrassing yourself.

If you’re seriously interested in learning more about the science of climate change and how humanity is driving it, there is a vast amount of solid information available. PM me and I’ll be happy to direct you to some very digestible scientific references aimed at the non- or semi-technical reader.

If you think its all a conspiracy or want to tell me that I don’t know what I’m talking about, please refrain and I won’t insult you for being misled by the same folks and institutions who told us DDT and tobacco are good for us (seriously).

I’m getting back to the intricacies of keeping Alfas alive and how we love them.
Aggie57 likes this.

Dean
1974 2000 GTV / 1976 Giulia Nuova Super 2.0 / 1965 TR4
post #2738 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
@6alfas & @rcss You are under no obligation to come here and your absence is in no way missed. This thread has been going on for quite some time and, while it has waxed and waned, the discourse has generally been rather civil . . . and interesting enough to generate fairly constant dialogue. Since freedom of expression is something we should all value, that in itself ought to be enough to justify its continuation. Nonetheless, if the existence of this thread is troubling you, I suggest that you exercise your freedom of thought and discretion and simply stay away. As a matter of fact, you'd probably feel a lot better if you just pretended that we were not here. That shouldn't be all that hard to do because you sort of have to look for this forum in order to find this thread. All the best.
@180OUT My point is neither side is convincing the other side of anything at this point. I guess my comment troubled you even though you say "freedom of expression is something we should all value."
post #2739 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:38 AM

Talking Beautiful!

Problem is, so many previous opinions have worked out to be complete hooey.....

Whom should we trust? Al Gore? Bill Nye (he is after all "the science guy"? Computer models?
All are no longer credible.

You seem like a nice guy and all, but why are you more credible than all of the others who made a guess about the future?
Attached Images

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #2740 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:45 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6alfas View Post
Then the people who think they are right will be left out in the cold.
Subtle likes this.

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2741 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 11:24 AM

We can take the heat !!
ossodiseppia and Subtle like this.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #2742 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 06:55 AM
Gold Subscriber

Tony Heller has a wonderful ability to place hysteria in perspective:

https://realclimatescience.com/2019/...he-western-us/

As needs be noted, Mother Nature provides only one temperature history.
Promoters of climate hysteria keep altering the record that now has little to do with the real record.

Bob,
post #2743 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 06:49 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49086783

Think about it.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #2744 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Gold Subscriber

BBC is a state-owned broadcaster.
It is very committed to man-caused "Global Warming", "Climate Change", with the latest banner being "Climate Emergency".
Take your pick.
BBC will not allow any skepticism, which has been the nature of science outside of authoritarian governments. Such as the Vatican in the early 1600s, or Communist Russia with "Lysenkoism" (think about it).
The BBC chart is the most distorted presentation I've seen.
However, the article mentions the Little Ice Age, This is encouraging because Michael Mann had "disappeared" it as well as the Medieval Warm Period. The audacity in making geological history disappear has always amazed me.
I'll be watching to see if BBC reinstates the MWP. Both these important geological events were disappeared because CAGW can't explain geological history.
And the MWP was warmer than recent for longer. As was the Roman Warming.
Indeed, the warmest period since the last glacial period ended was some 7,000 to 8,000 years ago,
BBC is an authoritarian instrument, and seems earnest in proving it whenever possible.

Bob,
post #2745 of 2895 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmericas View Post
Iíve tried real hard to stay out of this discussion, but am compelled to weigh in today because I hate seeing people I like and generally respect citing pseudo-science and buying into mythology being promoted by some.

As background, Iíve been working as an environmental professional since 1973, focusing on various aspects of marine and freshwater aquatic environments. Early in my career I collected water and air temperature data on NOAA ships working from the Atlantic coast to Alaska and the far Pacific. Most of my work in the past 35 years has been for commercial airports, port authorities and private industry, and often employing computer models that incorporate weather as an influencing factor. I work with other environmental professionals in commercial, government and research sectors who are dealing with this issue, from the basic science to planning and designing infrastructure for the extreme conditions weíll be seeing in the future. My opinions on this topic are based on both my experience and knowledge of the data and science. Based on that, there is no doubt in my mind (or those of essentially all folks who work with climate change issues) that humans are a major driving factor behind the rapid climate changes we are experiencing.

What moved me to post is this science-based analysis of an article that Fox News claims to prove that humans arenít a factor. https://climatefeedback.org/claimrev...lobal-warming/

Please read this analysis before citing the Fox News claim, because it is demonstrably incorrect and you run the risk of embarrassing yourself.

If youíre seriously interested in learning more about the science of climate change and how humanity is driving it, there is a vast amount of solid information available. PM me and Iíll be happy to direct you to some very digestible scientific references aimed at the non- or semi-technical reader.

If you think its all a conspiracy or want to tell me that I donít know what Iím talking about, please refrain and I wonít insult you for being misled by the same folks and institutions who told us DDT and tobacco are good for us (seriously).

Iím getting back to the intricacies of keeping Alfas alive and how we love them.

If your list of references does not include research and articles by Richard Lindzen, Don Easterbrook, Michael Shellenberger, David MacKay, Nir Shaviv, Roger Pielke Jr, and Alex Epstein to name a few then you are fooling yourself into believing you know all there is to know about climate change and man's ridiculous conceit to think they can actually manipulate it. This is politics at its very best and its very very worst.
If you are so worried about CO2 levels then you should be promoting nuclear power because it is the ONLY source of energy that can affect that. But of course the enviros are completely against it. Why? Politics folks, pure and simple. They really really really want to control the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode