Do you believe in "global warming?" - Page 181 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 318Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2701 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:09 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportiva View Post
Trying to change a person's belief with a barrage of facts, figures, and theories for or against will make no difference?
It should if the person is a rational thinker. We are not talking about religion which is hocus pocus anyway

Anyway, I hear you and can see some do not believe any scientist, on either side. Guess they must live under a rock.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 04:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Religion is not hocus pocus, as obviously yourself being an agnostic.... you would never know. PSK you insulted many here. Sadly, you are the one that lives under a rock....
post #2703 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:35 PM

Consider the shape of the Earth's orbit around the sun. This eccentric cycle takes about 100,000 years varying from almost circular to more elliptical.

Then you have precession of the Earth's axis, a wobbling cycle running at 23,000 years.

Many magnetic pole reversals have happened over Earth's geologic history., the last one 780,000 yrs ago. They're not quick, the "flip" takes thousands of years. In the recent years the N/S field has gotten weaker, when the field get too weak the reversal process begins...a factor?

Exclusive of precession is axial tilt which varies 3 degrees over a 43;000 yr cycle.

These cycles each effect the amount of solar radiation reaching earth. Each on their own cycle, in a complex interface. I suspect any one of these on it's own overwhelms the + or - effect of our species on the planet.

I do believe in global warming...and in global cooling...and in climate change. It's happened over and over during Earth's existence. I believe in cow farts and brontosaurus farts. If the zealot true believers get their way, they may figure out a way to tax us each on our portion of the Milankovitch cycles!

My brain hurts. I think I'll hop in the GTV and burn some hydrocarbons.
Subtle and Calguy 17 like this.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
...more CO2 means hotter temperatures and more eratic climate...
My understanding is that other variables have much more impact than CO2. Yet the models are so inaccurate, seems the truth is really unknown.

What if we had the technology to remove CO2 from the atmosphere? What would be the correct percentage? Where should we stop before we go too far? Would CO2 level from 1950 be okay? How do we know when enough is enough. I am not willing to adopt an Amish lifestyle.
PSk likes this.

164 TB -- 166 Super -- 916 Spider 24V -- Lancia Montecarlo 24V Busso
post #2705 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM

Not that this will change anybody's mind, of course. Nonetheless, as Bob has said---again and again---on this thread . . .

I have a neat idea. Let's all practice saying i-n-t-e-r-g-l-a-c-i-a-l.

And let's hope those unnamed scientists are all senior faculty with tenure. No un-tenured junior faculty member trying to build a career in climate science would dare mention such heretical ideas as these.

Quote:
Science Digest reports that scientists are calling for urgent action to restrict carbon dioxide emissions to protect coral reefs from global warming. The Science Digest article asserts that coral reefs, “which have functioned relatively unchanged for some 24 million years, are now going through profound changes in their make-up.” A review of global temperatures during the past 24 million years, however, shows warming temperatures during the past 100 years since the end of the Little Ice Age are relatively insignificant compared to temperature swings during the past 24 million years.

Science Daily quoted Professor Nick Graham of Lancaster University saying, “Coral reefs have been with us in some form since the dinosaurs and today they are at the frontline in terms of responses to climate change and a range of other human pressures.”

Scientists, however, report that temperatures were warmer than today throughout most of the period since the last ice age glaciation ended 10,000 years ago. Moreover, scientists report that temperatures during each of the past several interglacial warm periods – lasting approximately 10,000 years apiece and separated by 100,000 years or more of advancing ice sheets – were warmer than our present interglacial warm period.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 07-08-2019 at 08:17 AM.
post #2706 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM

Very helpful to read more of the original piece...
Too many only read the headline and the first paragraph.

Back when newspapers were our main news source, I learned to read what was on the front page, THEN read the last two paragraphs on pg. 26. The author always included the important info there. The first page sells newspapers and the last paragraph completes the information.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #2707 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 10:32 AM
Gold Subscriber

Andy Steben
You've got it right.
Are you a geologist?

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #2708 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:05 AM

No, but I was a geology major at Occidental College for 2 years before switching to a kinesiology major/history minor. Too much time in the field looking at the same 4 faces forced my hand.

Andy Steben '71 1750 GTV (daily driver & track day car)
post #2709 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 11:44 AM

The highest biodiversity of corals, about 600 species, and of reef fish, is in the world’s warmest ocean, the Coral Triangle. Corals retreated to the warmest seas as the Pleistocene cooling set in.

post #2710 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:50 PM

Still not enough failed predictions for the Climate Alarmists to admit that they are on the wrong side of History yet:

May 14, 2019
Wettest 12-month period on record leaves US nearly drought-free amid rampant flooding
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...oding/70008265

Now, did the Alarmists predict the above? Nope...

Global warming will intensify drought, says new study
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nsify-droughts
Subtle likes this.

post #2711 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Still not enough failed predictions for the Climate Alarmists to admit that they are on the wrong side of History yet:

May 14, 2019
Wettest 12-month period on record leaves US nearly drought-free amid rampant flooding
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...oding/70008265

Now, did the Alarmists predict the above? Nope...

Global warming will intensify drought, says new study
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...nsify-droughts
More misunderstanding and misrepresentation.

Climate change scientists absolutely predicted extreme weather events. Some areas will become more dry, while others will become more wet as the result of climate change. So droughts might be worse in Central Africa while floods more common in the Midwest U.S.. Changing the climate means changing many of the weather patterns that shape the climate in a specific region.
msiert likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #2712 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportiva View Post
The first three words in this thread are "DO YOU BELIEVE". Do you believe in GOD the resurrection of Jesus and the virgin birth or the man on the moon conspiracy or CLIMATE CHANGE Trying to change a person's belief with a barrage of facts, figures, and theories for or against will make no difference? Arguing climate change theory is pointless.
Throughout this discussion, I've never labored under the impression I was going to change anybody's mind. What I'm mostly arguing against is the misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the arguments surrounding climate change. Before you argue against something, at least take time to truly understand it first.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
post #2713 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post
More misunderstanding and misrepresentation.

Climate change scientists absolutely predicted extreme weather events. Some areas will become more dry, while others will become more wet as the result of climate change. So droughts might be worse in Central Africa while floods more common in the Midwest U.S.. Changing the climate means changing many of the weather patterns that shape the climate in a specific region.
Change is not new. The reason it is called climate change just a way to allow for being all inclusive. No matter what happens, it can be said, see we were right.

If the science is so tight, then why are all of the predictions falling short?

Accurately measuring the average temperature is extremely difficult. Too many assumptions and adjustments are being made. The uniformity and standardization of temperature measurement is fiction. NASA cannot even measure year to year without adjustments.

post #2714 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Even if climate change is true....there is NOTHING 1 cuntry alone can do to have any effect.......
post #2715 of 2918 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 PM

Both sides of this argument truly understand it.
It's the other side that won't listen.
And we all agree that misrepresentation and misunderstood facts are being pushed at us every day from both sides.

Glen 3.0 GTV6 2.0 156 JTS
EX 1.2 Alfasud. 1.8 and 2.0 Alfetta's 2.5 Alfa75

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode