Do you believe in "global warming?" - Page 173 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 285Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #2581 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101/105guy View Post
Hey, you get to cherry pick your scientists and we get to cherry pick ours!
You probably believed the political experts 2 years ago who said the Donald Trump would never be President......
You aren't picking scientists. You are picking political commentators playing scientist. A common theme among climate denialists is that they are either scientists in completely unrelated disciplines, or they are making claims that are much smaller than political commentators present them as. Besides, I haven't seen any links to published research by denialists anywhere in this thread. Lots of blog posts and editorials. No research.

I followed 528 fairly closely during election season. They were actually very explicit that while their models showed Hillary had an edge, Trump had a very real chance of winning it. The problem was that the national vote was very well polled (and the election was +/- 1pt of the national polling aggregation), but polling in the midwest was of fairly low quality. So no, I didn't believe Trump would never be president (especially after the Wikileaks and Comey nonsense). In fact, I have an outstanding bet with my brother in law that he will be reelected. The stakes are a bottle of fine scotch.

I'm truly not the wide eyed liberal you seem to assume I am. I'm a moderate, and I even work in oil and gas.
Del likes this.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo

Last edited by nealric; 06-18-2019 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Oh, you mean like Bill Nye, the science guy? Get a grip!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

Conservatives-we work hard, so you don't have to !
post #2583 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:33 AM

Garage
You keep arguing with someone else who isn’t present.

Never have I mentioned Bill Nye. He had a fun kids show 30 years ago, but I don’t find his voice particularly helpful today. He’s not a scientist but a TV personality.

1986 Spider Veloce Turbo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2584 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Oh, you mean like Bill Nye, the science guy? Get a grip!

Racy language ...Don't tell me I didn't warn you

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #2585 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Oh, wait....darn, now I am convinced!

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #2586 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:43 AM

In its various permutations, warmism tends to focus almost exclusively on effecting change through controlling behavior. Writ large, the various domains of climate change activism tend to behave like lifestyle oriented social movements, the dominating feature of which is---wait for it folks---social status. People who strongly identify with warmism embrace reform agendas that emphasize lifestyle changes which reflect their collective views of what a proper society should look like. Simply put, they want to "nudge" (to quote Cass Sunstein) their cultural enemies---the people who refuse to reflect and honor their values---to behave in ways that reassure them that their values, and therefore their social standing is society, are valid and superior. They argue that only by coercing people into acting right can the climate be "saved".

The inherent fallacy in this collective viewpoint is found in history. Historically when faced with delimmas like climate change, human societies invent new technologies to solve their problems. Unfortunately technological innovations don't play favorites and so people who are anxious that their values aren't being properly respected are often bereft of the tangible evidence they need to feel that they still matter.
red69 likes this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 06-18-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #2587 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Some people just don't get out much, and choose not to look.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6
post #2588 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
Some people just don't get out much
It's too hot outside.
post #2589 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 PM

I put a brick in my toilet and my water bill still went up!

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #2590 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:40 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
You probably believed the political experts 2 years ago who said the Donald Trump would never be President......
To whom, sir, are you addressing?

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #2591 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 AM

Everyone! It is sort of what a debate is all about. We hear all sides and pick our position.

'64 Guilia Spider
'67 GTV
'68 Giulia Super

post #2592 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
The naysayers will never convince the believers and the believers will never convince the naysayers.

None of us will be around in a 100 years to to know the outcome. So, no one will be able to say, "see, I told you so."

Brian __________________________________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2593 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:08 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealric View Post

ONCE MORE WITH FEELING:

It is absolutely irrelevant what the temperature is outside your window or whether you had a hot or cold season in your area of the world.
Please re-read my post #2573.
What I wrote about cosmic rays and warming has prevailed since there was enough of a planet to call it Earth.
This and its cooling phases will prevail so long as there is a solar system.
Physics and geology know no time limits.

Bob,
post #2594 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:15 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Ah, virtue signaling!
Virtue Spending is infinitely worse than preaching.

Bob,
post #2595 of 2842 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Made the call and published it.
You might Google:

Bob Hoye American Spring

Published for July 4, 2016.

Bob,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode