What's your best automotive "macguyver"? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Garage
Of many, I think my best MacGyver was in the late '70s. I was driving my '72 240Z out in the big wide middle of BFE, and driving like there was nothing to live for, when the engine lost power and I slowed to a crawl. It would idle, but not make power. Somehow I got impression it was a fuel problem and took the inline fuel filter out and sure enough there was fuel upstream, but just about none downstream of the filter. It was clogged. I dug around in the car and found an old click type ball point pen, the kind you can unscrew in the middle, and used bottom half of it to replace the filter. I made it the 30 miles back to civilization and bought a new filter.

But here is the funny part. Sometime in the mid 80s I was watching an episode of MacGyver, and he did the exact same thing only about 5 years after I did it!

Larry and Belinda Smith
Emory, TX
Director, Alabama Branch, Scuderia Non Originale
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Help for the Confused and Incorrect since 2009
Legion President of The Confused and Incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 04:35 PM

I have three McGuyver stories:

# 1. Had a 1970 VW Squareback with PO-bodges all over the place. The VW throttle works on a cable with a spring return pulling back to idle. Driving to work one morning the spring snaps, throttle drops to the floor and revs wind up past redline. Switch off and roll to the side of the road.

I'm a construction project manager, and had several large sets of plans rolled up in the back seat. I undid the broken ends of the throttle return spring, took two rubber bands from the rolled-up plans, and made it to work on time.

# 2. Same VW, I decided to replace the old fuel lines. This entailed removing the fuel tank, so I ran it almost dry and drained the last of the gas into a plastic bottle. Lines replaced, tank back in, pour the pint of gas back into the tank, and off the gas station for a refill.

Stalled out a few hundred yards from the gas station, not a drop left. While I jimmy the lines hoping to get it to run just one more minute, a car going the opposite way U-turns along side and asks if I need help.

It's a young blonde in a bikini, with a 12-pack of beer on the seat next to her! Like something out of a beer commercial! I started laughing and told her nothing like this has ever happened to me before! I should have forgotten about the VW and taken her up on her offer . . .

# 3. On a first date with a young lady, we're walking down the sidewalk on Ventura Blvd in Sherman Oaks and come across a damsel-in-distress stranded at the curb. I ask if she needs help - her car won't start and she's got a baby in the back seat. When she twists the key, the starter clicks, but it won't turn over. Ask if she has any tools with her, well yes there's a hammer in the trunk. I tapped the stater with the hammer, ask her to try again, and it fires instantly.

The damsel, and my date, both looked at me like I was Jesus.

David O'D
Irvine CA
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I got a good one! Can you guess? Broke down in NY and finished my trip!! Drove it 600 miles!! Miss my beaters!!

Name:  New Picture (3).jpg
Views: 103
Size:  58.3 KB

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 08:52 PM

Keeping belt tight on alternator?

Past 1990 164 V6 in NZ
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 04:04 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Rebuilt the the head, belt jump. Forgot to tighten the alternator bracket to the block. Lost the belt. Fortunately I had the A/C belt and I wedged the ice scraper between the block and bracket to provide the necessary tension on the belt. Drove it for a week like this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 04:50 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Great stories! Just stuff. Had a VW squareback when I was young living in Germany. When it was cold, it didn't care for starting. Had a pancake flat 4 w/Dual carbs. Fiddley points too... Also a crappy heater. So an hour before work, I'd take a large oil filled radiator and put it in the rear and turn it on. Problems solved.

Not really automotive but a skateboard is how my son got around. We - yes we - were riding around on them and one of the wheels popped off his truck assembly. All the little ball bearings came a'loose. We figured out how to get it back together but no lube and we were at a skatepark. So I packed the assy with that CarMex lip stuff in the small glass jar. Worked a treat!! ciao, chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 10:51 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

1966, far into the back woods of Northern Wisconsin, 2 AM, Giulietta 1300 Spider Veloce shows fluctuating oil pressure, then LOTS of white smoke trailing behind. Flashlight shows leaking fabric oil line to the gauge, squirting oil on the headers. Thought about it a while. Crawled under the jacked up car and with considerable difficulty removed the (17-19mm?) banjo bolt, cut a short piece of rubber from a wiper blade, stuffed it in the hole in the bolt, reassembled and went on my way with only an inoperative gauge.
SAVED.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT

Last edited by Gordon Raymond; 01-09-2016 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typoz
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Garage
Two litre bottle of Coke poured into the bell housing on a Fiat Panda to stop the clutch slipping so I could drive it home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We're gonna make you an Alfa you can't refuse.
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 10:44 PM
Gold Subscriber

Had a 1946 Ford Coupe and in driving up the first pass into the interior the engine was faltering on the steeper parts. Ran OK on the flats.

As it worsened, remembered some talk about the mechanical fuel pump a diaphragm and a push rod. Took it apart. The push rod had been worn enough such that it was barely making contact with the diaphragm.

One of the guys was a gum chewer. Made a shim out of the foil wrapper and went on our way.

Can't recall if I fixed it properly.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.

Last edited by Subtle; 03-08-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode