2Likes
  • 1 Post By Berlinabrisbane
  • 1 Post By alfasrule

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
How do you engage you children in this

I'm mainly talking about minor children, 18 and younger. I'm looking for hints, ideas, commiseration, anything really about those more experienced, successful than I about getting their kids interested in these passions. In my case daughters interested in working on the cars, going auto crossing and taking part in car shows.
I feel I've been so so successful, just looking for other idea's, failure recovery stories, etc.

Bring it on,

Carson, 4 Alfa's, 9 Cars, 4 Motorcycles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 09:22 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
When my sister's and I were little my father was a flag marshal and we all used to go to many race meetings.

Mum used to pack a picnic and take games, books, etc. but we also used to select our car for each race from the entry form and that meant we cared, a little, about who won. The family winner would be who has selected the most successful cars. Of course who chose first was a round robin concept.

When I was old enough I was taught how to flag ... not sure if my sister's were?

So make it interesting with picnics, etc. ... this was way before mobile phones ... and we were all good book readers then.

Hope that helps
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Send them out in organized GoKart racing classes with kids younger and older. They see what amazing things other, often younger kids can do, then figure "I bet I can do that!" Amazingly quickly, they can, and become competitors.
I also do this at car shows. Find a kid that has interest in interesting cars. Give him/her the keys and just say "Would you warm this up for me?" Instruct them as to how, and IF the car is interesting and feels "alive", they become hooked for life.
Look what I did to this boy!
Attached Images

Gordon Raymond
Illinois SNO Alfa Chapter Director
Illinois SNO Ferrari Chapter Director
and sometimes, CONFUSED AND INCORRECT, but Larry helps me out.
Now:
Illinois Chapter Director AND Charter Member of THE CONFUSED AND INCORRECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 12:24 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Gordon's ideas sound spot on, as it should be noted that none of my sisters have ever competed in any form, but they do have an appreciation of cars.

And hats off to you Gordon for letting kids warm up your 275!
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 AM

I can modestly claim some success here - both a son and a daughter drive Alfas (a modern 147 hatchback and a 116 Guiletta - apologies two north American readers, I don't think your market saw either of these models).
In addition, I have sometimes had four drivers (son & daughters) at motorkhanas - our equivalent of autocross. Here's a recent picture - no Alfas that day, just our home built Locost and a Suzuki Swift GTI, both fun cars.
A few observations.
1. Don't push too hard - they are there to have fun not win or to do perfect handbrake turns.
2. The girls don't get their hands dirty, just accept that.
3. Show some confidence in their ability - my girls are now licenced and often drive the tow car (Land Rover) to and from the event, I'm sure they are better drivers than me, so they may as well. Its good to have a chauffeur.
4. My son works alot on our cars - the home fleet includes his project, a Lotus Europa. So, I let him do his jobs his way. For example, he was appointed the team welder when he was in high school. One of us had to learn. Now I have to ask him to do any welding jobs.
5. Have the right car for the their abilities. Nothing too ferocious, and smaller is better for small people.
6. Don't send them out in your pride and joy if you are going to stress about them harming it (over revving, collisions etc).
7. They will probably beat you some day, look forward to that. Ask me how I know...

Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Gordon Raymond likes this.

Berlina (1972), 156 v6 manual (last of the Bussos!), Guiletta (1982, transaxle, driven by my son), Polski-Fiat 126, Suzuki Swift GTi, Locost motorkhana special,
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Totally hear you about the right tool for the right job. Here new drivers are limited to one passenger, so I got a car that will hold them to it. I somehow have got my girls to get their hands dirty, mind you we go through a lot of size small nitrile surgical gloves..... :-) So I guess their hands aren't really dirty either then. For me it's a life skill, know something about how they work, be able to talk the talk a bit. I often think about who we are going to sell our pride and joy's to in 20 years if the younger generation is more interested in Minecraft etc.

Cheers,
Attached Images

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Sorry, don't know why the pics got rotated on upload...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Garage
I feel very fortunate in this arena so I will chime in. We have one daughter, when she was 4-5 years old she would wake up early on a Sunday morning and find me watching F1. She would curl up on the couch and watch it with me. Started taking her out in the Alfas. She referred to them as the "dark red fast car" and the "light red fast car". We went to the local auto museum, to cars and coffees, other car shows, and then she is taking my car magazines. The interest continued but hit full force when she got her driver's license. Gave her my Mini Cooper (totaled but she wasn't hurt) then got a Fiat 500. As I started racing, she would go to the track with me, and was happy to get dirty. She then started autocrossing and doing driver's schools in the Fiat during college. And despite the fact that she would have made a great dentist (could have taken over my practice) she studied Mechanical engineering with a focus in automotive and just graduated in June. She is working for Daimler Trucks in Portland and, now that she has a good income, is shopping for a vintage Alfa.
Attached Images

Dave De Rosier
1969 Spider, 1965 Giulia Sprint GT vintage racer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Cool Story! Me youngest 15 years old now, but when 6, I was gonna sell my Fetta Sedan. She erupted, like Linda Blair. She just got her permit and we together are changing the head gasket this winter and it's her ALFA. I promised 9 years ago!
Dave De Rosier likes this.

AlfasRule!

1972 Montreal (The Pumpkin)
1975 Alfetta Sedan
1975 Alfetta Coupe Race Car
1982 Spider
1984 GTV-6
1984 GTV-6 Verde (GiGi)
1987 Milano (Da NEW Winta Beata)
1987 Milano Verde(Da kREDden Mobile)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 02:33 PM

I'm using the same technique from my father. No pressure or over the top trying to push me into cars. He liked cars, never bothered me with them or imposed I like it, wear some gear or whatever instagram parents do today. But he was around cars (well back in those days fixing your car was completely common and normal). So when I saw him fixing the old Chrysler, I would naturally hang out there, and pick up on things. I think that approach works best, could be wrong. Perhaps there's no "recipe".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode