Potential Increased US Customs Duties on Vintage Vehicle Imports of 25 Percent - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:01 PM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stphers View Post
[rules violating quote removed by staff]
[rules violating content removed by staff]

Waiting for the mod to step in and scold me

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

Last edited by The Moderators; 06-21-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 10:11 PM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Last I read, the existing overall tariff summary comes about even between Canada and the US, depending on the product of course, maybe in favor of the US. They have theirs, and we have ours. Been that way for some time.

We do evidently have a large trade surplus with Canada. The U.S. government agency, Office of the United States Trade Representative, said U.S. had a $12.5 billion trade surplus for goods and services in 2016. Cannot blame them about being thinking they are being pushed around. It does appear that someone is acting in an uneducated way with tariffs, potentially causing pain in all areas, here and abroad. There will be no winners it seems.

But enough of that. No more.

Meanwhile, yes, tariffs on parts (maybe it would apply only to new parts, not used?) from Canada, Mexico, Europe, or China could raise the prices of needed parts. I hope not. Certainly a big tariff on the new Alfas would curb what sales they do have. That would be bad, but then again, all imported competition would be similarly affected. Even the US manufacturers would be affected, as material prices would go up. Time will tell.

Sigh, if it isn't one thing, it's another...
davbert likes this.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-20-2018 at 11:42 AM.
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 AM
Platinum Subscriber

It's called "negotiation."

We'll see what actually is implemented in the end. Until then, it's useless blather.

. . . and Stphers post is unnecessary and offensive. One of the ignore list.
alfaparticle, Del, Jim G and 1 others like this.

John Stewart
74 Spider
91 164S

Last edited by Roadtrip; 06-20-2018 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 AM

If you're gonna call out stphers's post as unnecessary and offensive then do the correct thing and call out ARwrench's infantile, imperialist, nationalististic reaction as well.

I agree that trade negotiations need to occur but if you believe that we're going to win by shutting down everything (borders, agreements, trade, and treaties of cooperation), we've already lost. When we were kids and one child had a tantrum about losing a game and went home and refused to talk to anyone did the other kids rush to his side? No, they ignored him and kept playing with each other.

China is already quietly, patiently stepping into the global leadership positions that the US has vacated. Do you think they're just going to give back that seat at the table when we want it back?

This isn't about republicans vs. democrats and I despise them equally. This is about the morbidly wealthy and the corporations vs. the people. It's about fearmongering and dividing us as a people who really are in this together.
davbert, Del, rogerspeed and 3 others like this.
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:32 AM
BB Janitor
Platinum SubscriberSuper Moderator

Garage
Moved to 'Off-Topic'.

Keep it civil or the next step is to delete the thread...

- - Eric
don't read this
~ 1984 Spider Veloce ~
- -~ 1981 GTV-6 ~
Mebane, North Carolina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #51 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Del
Gold Subscriber

Disappointed in ARwrench's post.

Peace, esp with our wonderful neighbors to the north.

Del

Seattle

1989 Milano, Shankle Sport
1991 164S, stock
1994 164LS (~Q)
1972 Morgan 27

previously owned since 1964:

62 Morris MiniMinor 850, 67 Austin 1275 Cooper S (Downton 3/4 race), 64 Giulia Sprint GT (1st red one made), 72 Fiat 128 Sedan, 75 Alfetta Sedan, 78 Alfetta Sedan, 78 GTV, 81 GTV6, 86 GTV6

Last edited by Del; 06-20-2018 at 09:37 AM.
post #52 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
OMG ...it was a joke....you know..like a celeb saying "I'm moving to Canada if Trump wins"

sheez

post #53 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
It's called "negotiation."

We'll see what actually is implemented in the end. Until then, it's useless blather.

. . . and Stphers post is unnecessary and offensive. One of the ignore list.

negotiating cages for the separated children from their parents at the boarder too ?....

Last edited by davbert; 06-20-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #54 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Platinum Subscriber

The EU tariff on US cars is 10%. The US tariff on EU cars is 2.5%. It will stay that way unless we force their hands.
Separating kids from human trafficers is a good idea. If you are trying to immigrate into the US with a child, either legally or illegally you can save yourself some grief by bringing proof of relationship. I was messed around by the State Dept for a couple of years when I entered legally but it was worth it.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
85 GTV6 3L
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #55 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Garage
Funny, I distinctly recall DJT saying that trade wars are easy to win. He told me there would be so much winning that I'd get tired of winning. I am tired of whining.

This is a nutty thing-slapping a 25% tax on used cars. Call your congressman/woman and post on their FB page. They only respond to public pressure and fear of losing their seat. I'd tell you to show up at your town hall meetings but my cowardly representative stopped having public meetings 4 years ago. I've tried calling-the mailbox is full. Emails-no response to inquiries. I've been told that if I make significant campaign contributions, invites will happen. Woody Guthrie said it best "Money doesn't talk. it swears"
post #56 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 02:27 PM
Gold Subscriber

Austin Alfa has it right. Last I checked this is an Alfa bb, not a political bb. So the point of this thread is to inform of the impending policy change that will affect Alfabb members so we can take whatever action each member feels is justified. That action can range from nothing, to getting your Highwood Alfa order in tomorrow, to calling your Congress person.

But given the amount of political commentary available in other venues, it seems redundant to debate such policies here.

Turbinas vs. steel wheels on a GTV? That's a real debate.

--Scott
Current: 85 GTV6, 69 Duetto, 17 Giulia, 74 GTV
Past: 65 Giulia Sprint GT, 77 Alfetta, 79 Alfetta, 87 Milano Gold, 74 GTV (Euro)
post #57 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbert View Post
negotiating cages for the separated children from their parents at the boarder too ?....
Read this.... https://heavy.com/news/2018/06/immig...s-obama-trump/

post #58 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:21 PM

Garage
I placed a $300 order yesterday with Classic Alfa in the UK. If this goes through, I'm going to have to find a way to fund the needed parts for a couple of cars on my back burner before the new tariffs take effect.

Real republicans don't start trade wars. Real democrats don't support tariffs that hurt consumers. DJT is, I don't know what he is except a loose cannon on the international stage.
post #59 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 08:58 PM

Funny, I've been noticing an overall decline in the quantity of posts where people talk about their projects, show their progress and share their passion for Alfas.

Lo and behold, here's a thread that has nothing to do with Alfas (and in a channel where it doesn't even belong) and there are 40+ post in less than a week.

Can we get off the politics here - fake news, real news, whatever and get back onto the topic of Alfas? What do you own? What's your latest project? What are you working on?

Go find your related thread and post! Sure, the members of this forum have diverse viewpoints, political bents, belief systems - who cares. We all love Alfas.

If you want to talk about politics, I'm sure there are forums out there that you can post to.

cheers,
Brian

Brian OKelley

'69 Junior Z (AR1800015)
----------
'67 Giulia '1750' Super - rally car
'87 Milano Gold - troop carrier
----------
'71 145 Volvo Wagon - Alfa engine transport

Last edited by braino; 06-20-2018 at 09:15 PM.
post #60 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
If you want to talk about politics, I'm sure there are forums out there that you can post to.
You are, of course, entirely entitled to your opinion, although I feel compelled to point out that this is the off-topic forum which is specifically set aside for just these kinds of "political" discussions. While I note your complaint about a decline in Alfa specific commentary, I shouldn't have to point out that there are commenters on this thread who have been members of the bb community for quite some time and who have---both collectively and individually---been responsible for considerable Alfa specific content over the years.

One thing that has allowed the Alfabb to be so successful is that it has always recognized that intellectual discourse and technical expertise compliment each other in very productive ways. There are always those who don't agree with this tradition but there is no requirement for them or you to come here.
Subtle and Anfanuts like this.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series

Last edited by 180OUT; 06-20-2018 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode