E Type Jags - Anybody Love These? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kember View Post
You're the one with the 156 GTA, aren't you? Mine's tucked up for the winter but I'll be unleashing her shortly.
You E-type sounds like fun , and no I only have a 156v6, not the GTA version. The GTA version must be a rocket!! ... but not as fast as I suspect your E-type will be

Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 PM
But Mad North-Northwest
Platinum Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kember View Post
As opined above, the six bangers are a much better proposition than the V12, although, properly fettled, the Jag V12 has its charms, too!
Don't get me wrong: it's a lovely engine when it works. It's just that it always seems on the verge of wanting to melt into a puddle of aluminum on the garage floor.

That and the whole "Hey, let's take this dodgy first-gen Lucas electronic ignition system and stick it in the hottest part of the Vee! That'll go well!"

(To be fair to Lucas, the Opus ignition was still working on my TR7 35 years after the car was made. Must've been a Wednesday car.)

Tom

1963 Giulia Spider (1750 engine)
1974 GTV
1991 Spider
Former: 1987 Milano Gold
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 PM

There are some good books out there on E-Types which would be helpful to read BEFORE he buys the car. E-Types, End of an Era by Chris Harvey being one of them. There are also restoration guides available. As before mentioned, go with the 6 cylinder. The early cars were powerful brutes but lacked good braking, with the Series II cars introducing much better brakes. Similar to Alfa's, rust is a powerful enemy. The 2+2 can offer better value since not everyone wants a four seater. Overheating can be troublesome but most have been retrofitted with new (and improved) radiators and surge tanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:46 AM

Not mentioned that I see... restoration of an interior will set you back mind-boggling figures. There is no option for short-cuts like vinyl and they are not DIY projects (interior) so be prepared to bend over, especially the coupe..

Drove one once.. the exhaust note is mostly behind you.. not like an Alfa.. Very tight.. too tight for me and I'm 6'1 230. My size tens had trouble staying clear of each other. To me, this is one of those cars that is best bought done and let the other poor sucker suffer the drowning. It's not like they are rare either ( ala 911's du jour). Reminds me of something like a Flaminia or Fiat Dino project..Your nephew is dreaming if he thinks sweat equity can spare him the journey to hell.. Best advice I can give.

Last edited by divotandtralee; 02-07-2018 at 12:50 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
All good points, thank you all for the feedback. After a lot of intense study and search he has decided to do what what is the advice dujour around here: Buy the best you can afford. No projects, no " ran when parked"...

The Brad Davisson Memorial Scholarship Fund:

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprocket View Post
All good points, thank you all for the feedback. After a lot of intense study and search he has decided to do what what is the advice dujour around here: Buy the best you can afford. No projects, no " ran when parked"...
With photographic evidence of a quality restoration
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSk View Post
With photographic evidence of a quality restoration
Pete
^ This. I'd also suggest joining am owners' club and taking along one of their experts to validate what has been done - I'm sure we've all learnt at some stage one person's high standards do not equal another's!

Peter

Peter
1991 Spider S4 & 2004 156 GTA Selespeed
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Platinum Subscriber

You must have one of these if you own a Jag.
Attached Images

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode