Th Future of Our Cars and Hobby/Passion - Page 9 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 151 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 PM

Makes me glad I live in Texas. At least for now . . .

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
New London ULEZ Defines "Classic" as >40 y/o Rolling

"What this means in practical terms is that if your classic is more than 40 years old and is registered for the historic vehicle tax class, you will not need to pay the ULEZ charge. It’ll work the same way as the new MoT rules introduced last year, which takes the cut-off date as exactly 40 years on a rolling basis.

So, if your car was first registered on 8 April 1979 or before that date, you won’t need to pay the ULEZ charge. However, if it was first registered on 8 May 1979, you’d have to pay for the first month, after which point you’d be in the clear.

Given that otherwise only relatively modern cars built after 2006 (petrol) or 2015 (diesel) are likely to be exempt, huge numbers of classics will fall foul of the new regulations."

Drip, drip, drip. Creep, creep, creep.

LINK
post #123 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Here in the crazy state of California you will be offered $1000.00 for your car if was a 1976 or newer and fails our smog laws. They want all older cars off the road. If the car doesn't pass (and if you wish) they will kindly send a truck to pick up the car ....be it a Chevy Camaro... Rolls Royce, a Ferrari or a vintage Alfa Romeo. We now have the cleanest air in 50 yrs. Unfortunately it makes no difference to the ruling left wing radicals that run this state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:55 PM

California Assembly Bill - 210 recently proposed will exempt all pre-1983 vehicles from smog check.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200AB210

Stefano
Concord, CA
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
post #125 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Calguy 17
Keep dreaming as this was introduced in 2005...fails every time....it will most likely never pass under our California legislature and EMPTY SUIT Governor Newsome. You seem to forget...we live in a 1 party state and gets voted down repeatedly. Lets hope it finally becomes law to let us keep our Alfas.
post #126 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:23 PM
PSk

Send a message via AIM to PSk Send a message via Yahoo to PSk
Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post
California Assembly Bill - 210 recently proposed will exempt all pre-1983 vehicles from smog check.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200AB210
The Bill should not be date controlled but that ALL vehicles that were sold with a catalytic converter are smog checked every so many years because when the catalytic converter clogs they turn into polluters.

Cars that were designed before catalytic converters are not the problem as they were not designed with the concept that this thing on the exhaust will sort the emissions out. Many high volume relatively modern cars will have clogged converters and because the people that create these laws don't understand engineering these cars are pumping **** into our breathing air.

Plus it is pretty simple to solve a clogged converter issue by just cutting it open and removing the internals and welding it back up, reinstall heat shield and nobody notices ... unless smog checked.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
156 Series 1 v6 ... and remember it's all just opinions
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #127 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM

And meanwhile . . . Califa's air quality is better than ever and America leads the world in having clean air. This happens because of America's emphasis on technological innovations to solve air quality problems.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #128 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
I might be the only one that has a bit of a different view on electric and self driving cars. I actually like them. We have a Tesla model X which is actually quite fun to drove despite all the hate it gets from petrolheads. The suspension is supple for its size, the weight transfer is impressive, acceleration can't be beat (quite literally) and the view from the gigantic windscreen is incredible. I often drive from South Orange County to Pasadena which is often over 2 hours of driving each way and I can say that self driving is absolutely welcome. Why would I want to be driving a manual in 2 hours of stop and go? There is nothing pleasurable about that. Once my Tesla is full self driving I will be happy to let go of the controls and focus on productivity. That just means I can make more money and be home sooner to play with the kids in the house or the kids in the garage.

I think the two will coexist for quite some time though it's also very possible that our classics may be electrified in the next 20 years... eeeek!
post #129 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM
PSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 180OUT View Post
And meanwhile . . . Califa's air quality is better than ever and America leads the world in having clean air. This happens because of California's emphasis on technological innovations to solve air quality problems.
Yes, a good thing; but you had too because of your huge population and love of cars.

The cure followed the problem not the other way around.
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:
post #130 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
when the catalytic converter clogs they turn into polluters
I didn't know this. My 79 had a gutted cat when I got it from the previous owner. It passed smog pretty easily though, even when California went to rolling road smog checks. Now that I have a twin spark in it, I can't attempt the check even though it is probably cleaner than the Spica engine that came out. It's a shame I can't improve the environment because the engine doesn't exist in our database.

Concerning self driving vehicles. I was at an AI event in San Jose recently and a rep for a self driving vehicle software development company introduced himself to me and said things like Jake13 said above. About the convenience and such. I acknowledged the benefit, but pointed out some of the things we talk about here all the time. The pleasure of driving our cars, etc. He was very understanding and knows very well the love of old cars. At least his company doesn't envision a world with everyone who doesn't want to drive, but a world with many kinds of drivers.

I will meet these developers in my line of work and will always make it a point to tell them that there will always be manual driving cars and drivers that love to drive. I don't criticize them in any way. I just want them to know that their systems need to account for other cars that don't fit their profile. One of these companies has a CEO who drives his mid 80s 911 to work, so he certainly understands it.

Stefano
Concord, CA
post #131 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:36 AM

Garage
Also, if companies like Tesla didn't understand our love for cars they wouldn't give them ludicrous mode. Musk has often talked about his love for his e-type jag. I see a future were we have the option to drive or be transported depending on our desire. Quite frankly, I'd be very happy to see the vast majority of drivers given that option because they seem more inclined to be on their phones and plow into my wonderful cars!

The problem we are facing has been pointed out already, it's the change in demographics. You can't force these millennials to enjoy cars the way we did. Cars will never be a symbol of independence or individuality to them the way it was for us. I do think we parents can do something about it though. My 18 month old daughter for example was saying "vroom vroom" before she could say "mama"and her third word was "Alfa". That's not by chance! It's because I wear car shirts everyday, have car art around the house (she's already stolen a few for her room), and got her driving at 1 year. She was in a walker watching me tinker on my cars since she could be in one. Ironically I haven't done that since I brought the Alfas home because they make my garage reek of fuel and oil. I have some work to do there because my daughter always wants to sit in the Alfas...
post #132 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Born Again Boarder
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Anfanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iachella View Post

Concerning self driving vehicles. I was at an AI event in San Jose recently and a rep for a self driving vehicle software development company introduced himself to me and said things like Jake13 said above. About the convenience and such. I acknowledged the benefit, but pointed out some of the things we talk about here all the time. The pleasure of driving our cars, etc. He was very understanding and knows very well the love of old cars. At least his company doesn't envision a world with everyone who doesn't want to drive, but a world with many kinds of drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake13 View Post
I see a future were we have the option to drive or be transported depending on our desire. Quite frankly, I'd be very happy to see the vast majority of drivers given that option because they seem more inclined to be on their phones and plow into my wonderful cars!

The problem we are facing has been pointed out already, it's the change in demographics. You can't force these millennials to enjoy cars the way we did. Cars will never be a symbol of independence or individuality to them the way it was for us.
I am not so sanguine about the "live and let live" notion. The left spectrum are often called "collectivists" versus the right "individualists". I always say that, collectivists just want to collect and tell you what to do, while individualists just want to be individuals and be left alone. There are just too many examples in past history and present validating this. I'm sure [SARC] it will be a better world with an officious administrative cabal of scientific progressive experts telling us how to live, love and drive. 180out can discuss "social movements" until the cars are gone on this. That's why I say "drip, drip, drip. In the linked article look at how expansive the restricted area becomes with the next increment as folks are "nudged" (Cass Sunstein) along. The vectors working against dino and self-driven cars are many: demographic, cultural, social, political, regulatory, technology and economic.

Last edited by Anfanuts; 04-03-2019 at 01:21 PM.
post #133 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:57 PM
PSk

And yet Boeing can't even code well enough to keep their 737 Maxs in the air.

I write code. I wouldn't even trust my own code to drive a car. 9 billion times more complicated than flying a plane.

And sorry folks. Yes they want autonomous and human cars to co exist, but they can't. Human driven cars insurance costs will sky rocket making it too expensive to consider.

From a social science point of view, we are really stuffing up what is great about the human race, taking anything that requires skill away from people => humans become idiots!

You do realise if the trip you need to take is boring, public transport is actually an option. Proper functioning public transport is so much better for us, the planet, employment than self driving cars, which is nothing more than a few nerdy virgins getting off on the "can I code it" challenge
Pete

'71 1750 Series 2 GTV:

Last edited by PSk; 04-03-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #134 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Gold Subscriber

Boeing is a good example of what happens when software with no override function goes wrong. People die. If that sort of thing happened in a self drive car there would be no time to do anything about it. A plane might be 10,000 metres high, which would allow time to correct, whereas a car might have two seconds. It is incredibly naive of the nerds to think their coding is always going to be perfect in every possible situation for the life of the vehicle. It’s going to take a hell of a lot longer than the dreamers think and people will die in the process. I can’t imagine anything more boring than sitting in an autonomous car.
PSk likes this.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), son’s girlfiend’s car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (son’s new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #135 of 151 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't even trust my own code to drive a car.
I would much prefer you code it than the kids that are doing it today. You would at least put in scenarios that the kids coding today would overlook. But yeah, I prefer that coding be used to help design something and not to operate it, unless lives are not involved.

Quote:
Yes they want autonomous and human cars to co exist, but they can't.
This is why I am vigilant about meeting those who want it and to keep reminding them. They call it the 4th Industrial Revolution and I am trying to be as involved as I can. Maybe it will not help, but I will not let up. It's happening in my corner of the globe, so I can at least try. I think they will co-exist as they are currently being tested here in San Jose. I do not see it stopping. There are setbacks yes, but as coders always do, rewrite the code and try again.

Stefano
Concord, CA

Last edited by iachella; 04-04-2019 at 08:20 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode