What Was Your Favorite Toy While Growing Up? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

What Was Your Favorite Toy While Growing Up?

Mines a toss up between Lego's and the original Nintendo. Fabrizio and I used to spend hours doing either one or the other, sometimes both at once.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to super-racer
Hot Wheels were definitely my favorite.

Fabrizio
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 09:53 PM

The Ferrari 126CK of the late Gilles Villeneuve in 1/24 scale by Hot Wheels was the first model that I bought in the 1/24 scale in 1981 and I am still looking to find another because my little brother has broken it.
Attached Images

1750 GT Veloce 1a serie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 PM

A Tonka Truck and my bag of plastic soldiers.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 10:39 PM

Garage
0-8 Tomicas, Matchboxes and HotWheels and Legos and Tamiy 1/24 Models

8-16 In addition to above, an ON-road Kyosho 1/10 Lazer with first a GT-R R32 body and then a 155DTM body (no. 8), a 1/10 nitro powered Serpent with Audi Quattro IMSA 100 body, and a 1/8 .21 Serpent Excel 9000 with a Jaguar GROUP-C body and some other misc RC airplanes and helicopters.

I miss all of them.

Below - my favorite hotwheels right now

Last edited by alfa_chan; 05-04-2004 at 10:45 PM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 AM

I think it is wrong to assume that anyone on this list grew up! My favorite toy when I was younger (8 to 10) was a "go cart" made entirely of wood powered by a gasoline engine from a washing machine! Before that was probably a crystal set (radio) I made. Can you tell I fit into the older segment of this list ;-)

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Ken Lee
Alfa Dogs #13
Oakville, ON[/FONT]
73 GTV
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:23 AM

You guys ever go outside to play?

I have to go with my first two thoughts on this one:

First was my X-15 VRROOM. It was a metal tricycle which steered by swiveling the REAR wheels by way of a stick. If you jerked it too much at speed you were looking at some serious kiddie road rash, which is probably why Mattel stopped making them and went to the Big Wheel. The thing also had a switch to approximate a jet afterburner growl. My best memory of it involves running into a tree - but the front wheel was so big and I had enough momentum that instead of coming to all stop, I went straight up the tree and landed flat on my back. For a tricycle, it is a sure classic - you even had to strap in!

Second, I had this full size bazooka toy which you pumped up and it shot this huge slug of air. It could knock over a stack of empty boxes at 50 ft and rattle the neighbor's garage door across the street! My older brothers broke it, something I still have not quite forgiven them for. They just don't make fun toys like that anymore!
Attached Images

Last edited by Scunitz; 05-05-2004 at 06:30 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 08:41 AM

Anyone remember ROBITX?
Attached Images

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 09:08 AM

How about Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and an Erector Set (metal, not plastic). Also had the standard Matchbox Cars, Hot Wheels, Electric Trains (HO scale) and the 1/32 scale slot cars (which I still have a few, but no track). Never had Lego's. I also still enjoy building 1/25 scale model cars (I think it's the glue that attracted me in the first place).......and life continues, and the toys become more expensive.

Gifford
'72 Super --> SOLD, '67 GTV --> SOLD
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Hit an Apex
Matchbox cars and lego.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 05:52 PM

My favorite toy was my Barlow knife. That is a pocket knife made by the Barlow company. Good Barlow knives have two blades and are perfectly balanced. We used to play Mumblypeg for hours on end and had big elimination tournaments. Mumblypeg for the younger among us is game where you must "peg" your knife into the ground by throwing it in different ways. Hold the blade and peg it, hold the handle at the far end and peg it, toss it over your head and peg it behind you and so on. The different throws were in a predetermined sequence and if you missed your oponent had to go thru the sequence past the throw that you missed. If he did he won. If not, no winner start over.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 06:23 PM

Garage
I liked Matchbox cars (the original ones that came in little boxes and were made in England), Hotwheels, Johnny Lightning (and was very frustrated that Hot Wheels and Johnny Lightning track just wouldn't quite work together), space toys, toy guns, etc. And there were a couple of toys I had that just scared the wits out of me: Mr. Machine and Odd Ogg. I guess I was a little too young for them, but they just scared me.
Attached Images

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 07:31 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spider76
Odd Ogg, Odd Ogg
Half turtle and half frog!

There was a por unfortunate child in my neighborhood named Gary Ogg; if the is any justice in this world, he should be very healthy, wealthy and wise...
because everyone teased the living daylights out of him...........and if I see him again I'll probably be unable to stop myself from doing it again!

La vita e troppo corta per non guidare Italiano! (Life's too short not to drive Italian!)

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination. That's the sign post up ahead. Your next stop: [COLOR=Red]The ALFA Zone[/COLOR].

Ron Linhart
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'76 Spider Veloce(tucked away in my garage)
'76 Spider Veloce(a roller)
'79 Spider Veloce(parts-donor lawn ornament)
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Senior TEXAS member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geh458
How about Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, and an Erector Set (metal, not plastic). and life continues, and the toys become more expensive.
A man after my own heart!

I will add my Lionel trains. "O" gauge, the big boys.
The sheer mass of those steam engines was fantastic. One of the best toys for learning mechanics and electricity. They could transport dozens of army men, tanks, planes, cars, books, silverware, golfballs, PF Flyers, turtles, plastic horses, Tinker toys, and other assorted 'war materials' to the western front when needed to relieve the troops stranded at "Fort Adventure" (Lincoln logs).

I still have them and have added to the collection over the years. They generally just come out at Christmas now for the girls to enjoy.

Great memories...

Get out there and DRIVE !

Bill ("Plays well with others")
1978 Spider Veloce
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 08:50 AM

Garage
I didn't have a very good train set when I was a kid. It wasn't configurable at all. So I'd get bored watching the trains go around in an oval. I'd then start laying bits of Christmas tree tinsel (which was then made of lead, of course) across the tracks and watch it fizz and burn out like cheap fuses.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][B]Bob Farace[/B]
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]1971 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce[/COLOR]
[I]Director, Connecticut branch, Scuderia Non Originale[/I][/FONT]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode