What Was Your Favorite Toy While Growing Up? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 11:38 PM

Garage
When I was seven my dad went out and bought a second hand Marklin train set, it never worked properly as the transformer was US. He never touched it so i only ever really looked at it and poured over the exquisitely detailed catalogues. I still have it though (including the catalogue) and earlier this year a friend on another forum sent me the correct transformer.

It will rise in my 47th year!!
(Engine may need some work, I recall pulling that to bits numerous times)

Does this loco still run, be interesting to see in real life one day
Attached Images

Last edited by Craig_m67; 11-01-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 07:05 AM

An early propelled vehicle - a wooden rowing machine on wheels, steered with your feet with a handbrake acting on the rear wheels. In the winter I put screws and nails in the rear solid rubber tires to have better traction ...
Attached Images

post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Eldon slot car set - 1/32 scale

No contest - my slot cars.

There was a white Chaparral (w/ chrome intake stacks), an orange Ford J-car (always the slowest through the corners - it had the longest wheelbase), a silver Porsche 910, and - of course, the one that sealed my life's fate - a red Ferrari P3.

I could (and did) look at the flowing lines on the Italian thoroughbred for hours. It was magical, while the others were merely interesting. And since I could never bear to throw her out..
Attached Images

-Frank, in SF, CA (ex-GrisCo grunt)
'73 Berlina/SPICA (RIP), '65 Giulia Sprint GT, '74 Spider/SPICA, '93 164L (from new)

Last edited by spokeless; 11-02-2014 at 03:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Several things and I liked mixing them... Legos, HO Gage trains and Matchbox cars !

~Steve (AKA: Alfa Funatic)
Fun stuff thats available > http://phoenix.craigslist.org/search/sss?userid=3480627
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post
When I was seven my dad went out and bought a second hand Marklin train set, it never worked properly as the transformer was US. He never touched it so i only ever really looked at it and poured over the exquisitely detailed catalogues. I still have it though (including the catalogue) and earlier this year a friend on another forum sent me the correct transformer.

Very cool Craig. "Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe" . Post a video of it going when you get there.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 04:01 PM

A multi-story treehouse, built in my friend's backyard. It appears that a significant portion of my childhood was spent exploring the tops of the abundant trees in my neighborhood so I suppose it's a relatively small step to decide to put a house in one. At the time in the 50's there was a lot of post-war house building going on and, unlike today, there was abundant scrap lumber for our crew of 8-9 year old scavengers. The carpenters were pretty understanding, even going so far as to leave open kegs of nails rather conspicuously sitting in the middle of the floor of the house they were building. We thought they must have forgotten . . .

Our treehouse was quite an affair, standing a good 15 feet off the ground and consisting of two floors and a top deck. While we had some general help with bracing, our parents were generally uninterested in our construction project. It was a different time. Nowadays, modern parents wouldn't let their 8 and 9 year old's near a tree let along helping them position the 2x4's on which a treehouse would be built. At the time it, building a treehouse like that seemed like the most normal thing in the world to do.

Jim . . . '72 Super 1300, '70, 1750GTV, 2nd series,
'62, Lancia Flaminia Zagato3c, 2nd series
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 04:41 AM

I remember playing Lego and Barbie dolls with my cousin when we were young. But I'm one active kid that's why you would always find me outside, playing catch and hide and seek with my friends.
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:23 AM

Garage
Car toys of course...

1. Hot wheels, Matchbox, etc. however, my favorites were the Tomica brand. Much better scale and detailing than the others, and much better selection of cars from around the world, including European and Japanese.
2. Hot wheels had a line in the '70's called "Hot Shots" which were larger than reg. Hot Wheels, and had a spring loaded cord you pulled in the back that propelled them when released, and shot sparks from the rear wheels of some models as they went.
3. Hot Wheels "Sizzlers" as well. They were sorta the poor kids sub for slot cars, and we're very fast.
4. The Kenner brand had the "SSP's" which were about 6 inch cars of various styles, usually in those great metallic candy reds or greens so notable then. They had a sort of gyroscopic wheel in the middle the chassis with a gear attached to the axle, to which you fed a plastic rip cord with teeth that meshed with the gear. You pulled the rip cord, which spun the wheel and then you put the car down and it took off. My brother and I would race ours for hours!
5. The Cox brand had their gas powered glow plug motored cars and line control airplanes. This was my introduction to "real" cars as far as I was concerned, and definitely real motors. I can still smell that fuel they used!

Currently: 1966 Giulia Super Previously: 1971 series ll 1750 GTV, '73 Spider Veloce, '69 Berlina, '69 GTV, '74 Spider Veloce
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 03:02 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_m67 View Post

Get you one of these. They work very well. I got one for my wife's marklin's Z scale train she got from germany.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...J5YYM1BRMKZSTT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode