What Was Your Favorite Toy While Growing Up? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 10:01 AM

I hate sounding like a social deviant but...

Even though my train set had the usual imaginative accessories (trestles, signs, etc.) sooner or later my friends and I would stage elaborate train wrecks, usually around the 'the bridge is out!' theme. This usually involved driving the train as fast as you could straight up a dead end ramp and into a bunch of other staged toys. Toys had a hard life around me - they were either fun or were involved in horrible train wrecks. Then one day I smoked the transformer by forgetting to unplug it and that was that for a while...

Rick T.
Virginia Beach

91 164L "CIAO A2T"
85 Spider Veloce "85 ALFA"
84 Spider Veloce "8T4 ALFA"
67 1750 GTV "67 GTV"

"And now my friend, the first rule of Italian driving: Whatsa behind me (breaks rear view mirror off and tosses it behind him), is not important!" [I]-Gumball Rally[/I]

"Is all that we see or seem but an Alfa Romeo within a dream?" [I]-Edgar Allan Poe (slightly modified)[/I]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Gold Subscriber

The Second World War ended in 1945 when I was nine.

Guns, model airplanes, cars and tanks were the toys. Bicycles and roller-skates that clamped to the sole of your shoes were your "wheels".

Firecrackers were a lot of fun. Used to sit real still on the ground with your Dad's steel helmet on your head. Your buddy would set a good-sized firecracker on top and ignite it.

Even with your fingers in your ears it was a memorable experience.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 04:32 PM

Favorite toys

That my parents knew about...
* Hot Wheels;
* Six Million Dollar Man action figure;
* Lincoln logs;
* Lego's
* 1" x 3' white PVC pipe (used as lightsabres);
* BB gun;
* Bag of 1" little green soldiers;
* Pedal tractor (still have it).

That my parents didn't know about:
* Fireworks! (I'd save up my allowance, buy a whole shopping bag full around the 4th of July, then use them over the year).

1966 Giulia Super (current)
1966 Giulia Super (R.I.P.)
1967 GTV (R.I.P.)
1955 1900CSS (R.I.P.)

Last edited by Il Vecchio; 12-22-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 02:28 PM

Anything radio control... which turned into a long time obsession with Tamiya kits. The red Toyota Hilux, from 1982/83 was an 8th grade graduation present that I have been slowly restoring... I am glad I held on to it all these years, it is worth quite a pretty penny and it was the start of my Tamiya collection. I love the "metal" kits and some day I will have them all displayed in my den.
Attached Images

post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 12:24 PM

My Captain Video space helmet of course. Now, where did I put it.

Loud pipes save lives.

1973 GTV - bought 3/06, intend to keep forever
1969 GTV, #AR1530021 - sold 10/72, guess didn't intend to keep forever
Current project: '69 Corvette bought in '73, DD '73 - '80, in storage 1989-2002, now apart
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 02:27 PM

Crikey, well as far as I can remember, my favourite toys were two cars that my parents gave me as an 8 year old when we were living in Lugano (Switzerland) back in '68, a copy of the prototype Ferrari Dino and a Lancia Fulvia 1.3. I still have them, albeit somewhat worse for wear !!

The other favorite toy I had back then was my panda bear, but which regrettably my mother threw out before I turned 10 on the basis it was disgusting. I can only assume I had loved it to bits as a kid.

Apart from these, my next favourite toy, is Enzo. Enzo is a '69 Fiat 124 sport I bought as a wreck back in '80 and restored as a penniless uni student. It has been used for all sorts of things (some of which I can't talk of here) but as well was used in club competition, crashed and rebuilt it (an incident I dont wish to remember), taken on my first honeymoon, and generally loved to bits. I still have it today some 29 years later. So I have grown up with this car, and will never sell it. Dave

"Sporting blood has run through the veins of every Alfa Romeo produced over the last **100** !!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
years"
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 AM

..hot wheela and that super train, form hot wheels.

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTV4EVR View Post
I think it is wrong to assume that anyone on this list grew up! My favorite toy when I was younger (8 to 10) was a "go cart" made entirely of wood powered by a gasoline engine from a washing machine! Before that was probably a crystal set (radio) I made. Can you tell I fit into the older segment of this list ;-)
Do you remember what kind of washing machine engine that you used?

My 1st home made go-kart had a Maytag 2 cylinder engine. Barely enough power to power it down hill much less up hill. No throttle, just cut off the intake air to make it go rich would slow the engine down. The steering was via rope wound around a broomstick. My radio control airplanes were single channel and used rubber band powered escapements to power the rudder and Cox .049 engines.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:35 PM

Favorite Toys

My dad brought Schuco metal wind up cars back from Germany. They have "knock offs' on the wheels and all the tools to do tire changes and a variety of other work on the cars. They are open cockpit race cars from the 30's. Those I still have and display.

Revell slot car track 1/32 scale. Still have. Just bought some more track and Dan Gurney and Fred Lorenzen stock car slot cars. My kids love to play with it as well.

Dad was an engineer at Lockheed skunk works and they got alot of things in wood boxes. He brought some home and made a downhill racer for us. It was an absolute blast. It was the first of my "Car 54 Here I am" cars.

When I was ten I got a "Tote Goat". Looked like a big minibike. It had a gear reduction system so that it only went about 15 miles an hour but with its 5 horse Briggs and Stratten motor it would climb trees. Took me a while to figure out how to change the gear ratio but I eventually got it up to between 25 and 30.

Current toy is a 914 Porsche that is tube frame and carbon fiber that I won the SCCA Cal Club G prod. road racing championship in 2007 with. Its the current Car 54 here I am. Your never too old.

Randy
Ventura Alfa
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM

ventura alfa.. this shows at a young age you where a true grearhead..

anyone can buy a Porsche, only Drivers drive a Alfa Romeo
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 04:49 PM

Bianchi,
Until I posted this list I had not thought of that but you are so right. Oh well, too old to change now and don't want to.
Randy,
Ventura ALfa
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Alfa-Less
Platinum Subscriber

Garage
Let's see, my ....

Sears Stingray bike with the fully chromed frame, banana seat and sissy bar that I eventually added additional front forks for that long "chopper" look.

Push go-kart made from a wooden ironing board and wheels from a baby carriage

Many model cars that eventually I would crash into each other and set on fire or stick a firecracker inside the window and watch'em blow then set them on fire.

My poor mother.......

Rob Favali
2013 Fiat 500C
2007 Saab 93 SportCombi
**1993 Spider Veloce (Sold 2015)**
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 12:46 PM

Garage
Lionel trains and my Bonanza mini bike... I still have them.
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM

Matchbox cars and Labyrinthspel game.
Attached Images

Al
Current Alfa: 1986 Spider Veloce
Previous Alfa: 1987 Spider Graduate
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 09:59 PM

In 1958 when we lived in Singapore my Dad went out for a 60c haircut and came home with a $60 Marklin train set. I still have it, it still goes and he didn't get the haircut. Mum and Dad celebrate their 60th wedding anniversary in December.

Alister
1973 105 GTV (Alfa #6 of 19 owned)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode