BMW 507 Front Suspension Repair - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

I finally finished changing all of the seals located on the front suspension. I had to go to a friend's shop and use larger hydraulic press to take the suspension apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

I finally installed most of the front suspension. I will attach the sway bar, steering links, bleed front brakes and adjust steering next week. The photo was taken just before installing the suspension.
Attached Images

Last edited by kuni123456; 01-18-2018 at 09:05 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

I bleed the brakes and filled the suspension and steering box with oil and two of the oil seals leaked. The leaks were on the passenger side and cannot figure out why they leaked. I am going to use 140W gear oil instead of the recommended 90W gear oil. The driver's side did not leak and am glad because the steering box feeds the suspension. I had to make some custom tools to remove some suspension arms and working on this suspension is much more difficult than any Alfa suspension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

I put 85-140W gear and Lucas stop leak on both sides of the suspension and have one very small leak on the driver's side. I still have a large leak on the passenger side and have to see why it leaks.

I changed the rear pinion seal and it was very easy. The differential pinion nut is a 30 mm hex nut.

I am going to change front and rear engine gaskets next and hope to be finished with this car.

I also helped the owner to rebuild the two carburetors. The carburetor bodies are used on VW and on 356 Porsche but, the internal parts are all different.

This is the first BMW that I have every worked on and was lucky enough to find parts from Germany. I know that some Alfa parts are expensive but, parts for this car are very expensive.
Attached Images

Last edited by kuni123456; 03-05-2018 at 08:33 PM.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

I worked on the brakes and believe that there is air in the system. There appears to be a valve to balance the front and rear brakes and might contain some air inside.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 07:51 PM
Gold Subscriber

Interesting thread.

Bob,
Avatar is the 68 Super, bought new.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

I have restored a number of Alfa Romeo Giulietta cars and like working on interesting cars in retirement. I have met a number of car collectors and most of them have great stories about their cars. I few of them have Alfas but, most of them collect anything but Alfas. I think Alfa owners are a special type of person "eccentric" and I only driven Alfas since obtaining a driver's license in 1968.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode