BREXIT For the Alfa fan? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Location: Beacon, NY which is in Dutchess County...the Hudson Valley. I'm about an hour and a half North of NYC.
BREXIT For the Alfa fan?

I wasn't sure where to post this...
Is not the time to load up on all of the Alfaholics goodies? The pound is down and that helps us Yanks. It also would be a boost to them to increase sales.
Hmmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:31 PM

This makes sense to me more than stocks!

Anyway, seems they can inflate to stay on track or whatever. Hope all works out well there. Interesting times.

John
1991 Alfa Romeo 164L, 1993 Ford 5.0L Mustang
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 PM

In the short term, sure. But most of what the UK vendors sell is sourced from Italy and elsewhere, so I imagine as they restock they'll need to reset their GBP pricing to reflect the increased cost of goods they purchased in Euros.

Same thing will happen with UK built cars. The raw materials are mostly imported, so the weak pound won't give much if any competitive advantage vs the Germans et. al.

Jason Arrington
1989 Spider driver
1974 Spider restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 AM

I would have saved almost 10% if I waited just 1 day to place a large order with classic alfa.

O well.

67 Super, 74 GTV, 17 Ducati Cafe Racer Scambler, 14 Ducati Monster, 1975 Trans Am, 1975 Honda CB360t Cafe Racer, 1971 Honda CB350 (future project) 09 Audi R8.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:31 AM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
I would venture to say, the rate of exchange you get/use depends on the bank holding your CC. Now what the vendors charge is another matter relative to what they've got in the goods. I dont know the specifics but VAT here in Italy is 22% and I think the same in GB. When the exit takes place - 2 years or so from now you might see a good deal of that go away. I'm not counting this chicken until it's hatched. Ciao, Chris

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:16 AM
Platinum Subscriber

I voted no to staying in the EEC in 1975 and I have never changed my mind. It was always a bad deal for Britain. It's bad enough that we have buffoons in Washington micro-managing our lives, imagine what it would be like if they were in Ottawa or Mexico City.
Caxny likes this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 06:32 AM

Location: Transplanted from Holland to The Armpit of New Jersey
Garage

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough”
Oo--V--oO There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Erik
Yes, it turned out to be out.
It also turned out that no one had a plan for out - neither the live nor stay politicians have prepared for a live or the Scots and Northern Irishmen living the UK.
So, for observers it'll interesting to follow. For Brits in general it could end in a nightmare.
I'm a Dane and a great number of Danes think we should live, too. Personally, I'm for staying. But lots of thing have to be simplified or brought back to local governments and parliaments. As it's now many politicians hide behind Brussels, saying it's those in Brussels who passed this or that law.
Exciting times with president elections in France (Marie le Pen) next year and rumblings in the Netherlands (Gert Wilders) and budding nationalism in lots of the eastern countries. Not to speak of Greece and looming bankruptcy and unsolved refugee Problems. Germany's and Sweden's declarations "all are Welcome" and a Swedish politician declaring "Sweden is an humanitarian superpower". Two months later Sweden closed their borders for refugees and immigrants. German individuals, groups and parties revolting against the migrant and refugee laws.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 PM

I'm going to plough up my grass paddock and plant vegetables and fruit trees. The most stunning own goal ever. Some things are just way too complicated and important to be left in the hands of the poorly educated who are swayed by half-baked opinions and hysteria. The country which will soon be known as the Dis-United Kingdom is a Parliamentary democracy, not Switzerland.

But this island has previous form. When the Romans left these shores, we abandoned their fine brick villas and underfloor heating to crumble and be choked by thorns, so we could revert to our familiar mud-daubed, straw-roofed hovels. Today, it feels that this ancient, inward-looking obstinacy is alive and well.

On the plus side, my parts just got cheaper.

[FONT="Georgia"][/FONT]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to all parts I have advertised on the BB so far. Plenty more! Just ask.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Alex; 06-25-2016 at 12:12 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Platinum Subscriber

My son, born in England and moved to the US when he was two years old commented "".
Quote:
Ironically, the same elites who are terrified of the rise of nationalist parties in the EU are the ones who caused them to come into power. Nationalism is a natural response to the degradation of natural sovereignty.
"
maseratiguy and Caxny like this.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
76 Suzuki GT500
2011 Jaguar XKR

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them. - P.J. O'Rourke
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 11:12 PM
Gold Subscriber

Garage
"poorly educated" does not equate to stupid. It's rejection by the more "common" folk of years of elitist thinking permeating every aspect of their lives. I hope it comes east as well. Ciao, chris
Spitfire likes this.

Maintaining my tenuous strain on reality.
89 164 2l Twin Spark, 2011 Tonka Dump

Recently added: an 89 75 (Milano) 1.6 litre w/44K on the klok.

Past loves:
79 Alfetta GTV w/Spica, my 1st Alfa

An 88 Graduate. Not really love but interesting nonetheless.

A 68 BMW 1602 - man do I regret letting that one go!

79 Scirroco, ex plowed into an illegally parked house with it...
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:02 AM

Garage
The only thing certain is uncertainty!

Not sure if anyone truely understood the full complexity of both outcomes to the referendum, let alone leaving it to the common folk to decide.
It's democracy gone crazy if you ask me.

Good luck United Kingdom.
spiderJohnNH likes this.

1966 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - slightly modified!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc96 View Post
"poorly educated" does not equate to stupid. It's rejection by the more "common" folk of years of elitist thinking permeating every aspect of their lives. I hope it comes east as well. Ciao, chris
Well said. As Calvin Coolidge pointed out, the world is full of educated idiots, and in politics and punditry, at least, idiocy seems to be the rule, especially among those who appear to replace common sense with faculty lounge political theory. If Boeing engineers were as wrong as often as politicians and pundits, their planes would regularly explode while taxing. While Nativist hysteria is never admirable, anti-EU sentiment seems to go much deeper than that, despite what idiot Christiane Amanpour her fellow hysterics would have you believe.

p.s., in light of what's going on in Europe right now, a little "Nativist hysteria" is perfectly understandable.

Jim: '17 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport/Performance, '83 and '92 Spiders, '12 Honda Odyssey family hauler, '18 Mustang GT, and a '96 Taurus SHO because I love underdogs, and small V8s

Last edited by Rutlefan; 06-26-2016 at 11:13 AM.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I'm going to plough up my grass paddock and plant vegetables and fruit trees. The most stunning own goal ever. Some things are just way too complicated and important to be left in the hands of the poorly educated who are swayed by half-baked opinions and hysteria. The country which will soon be known as the Dis-United Kingdom is a Parliamentary democracy, not Switzerland.

But this island has previous form. When the Romans left these shores, we abandoned their fine brick villas and underfloor heating to crumble and be choked by thorns, so we could revert to our familiar mud-daubed, straw-roofed hovels. Today, it feels that this ancient, inward-looking obstinacy is alive and well.

On the plus side, my parts just got cheaper.
That is the best anti Brexit quote I have seen Alex. Very well said. My UK/EEC passport just got a whole lot less useful sadly, but I am truly worried about the fate of the land of my forebears and my wife's relatives who live there. My research on the topic so far suggests that the leave case is mostly based on conspiracy theories and xenophobia.

Current Alfas
2010 159 ti 1750 TBI sedan (red).
2004 GT 3.2 V6 (Stromboli Grey).
2008 159 TI Sportwagon 2.4 JTDM (Stromboli Grey).
1987 75 3 litre (red). My first 75 and now my son's.
2000 156 2 litre Twin Spark, ( Cosmos Blu metallic), my daughter's car.
2000 156 Monza Twin Spark, (Cosmos Blue metallic), son’s girlfiend’s car.
1999 GTV 3 litre 24 valve V6, metallic black, (son’s new car).

Non Alfa
1988 Range Rover Classic Highline 3.9 V8

Past Alfas
1989 75 3 litre, written off by runaway van.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (black), now sold & living in Newcastle NSW.
1990 75 3 litre Potenziata (grey, sadly deceased due to fire).
1982 GTV 2 litre, red, (daughter's first Alfa)
2 x 1992 164s, (1 red, 1 grey).
2 x 1988 33s, (both red).
1985 GTV 2 litre, (white).
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Location: Beacon, NY which is in Dutchess County...the Hudson Valley. I'm about an hour and a half North of NYC.
Hi, I meant to start this post as how Brexit relates to the opportunity of buying Alfaholics and other companies parts at a discount, not as a whole for vs. against political discussion.

I am not British so I don't have a real dog in this race. However to those claiming it is all based upon racism xenophobia, stupid masses etc. Let me ask, "Do you leave the door to your house open for anyone to just walk in, do as they please, ask to live by their own house rules, welcomed or not? Vetted or not?" "Do you not believe in having sovereign states"?
Spitfire and Caxny like this.

Tags
alfaholics, performance goodies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode