Voting Idiots off the BB,,, Can We ? - Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Voting Idiots off the BB,,, Can We ?

A lot of times I am amused by Idiots posting off color-off subject responses. But a lot of times I feel that these people take away from the beauty and integrity of the BB, a resource that I get great enjoyment and support from.
Maybe we should have a "Vote them off" feature?

It might be interesting to debate the various merits and minuses of the BB'er's in question.

The " Save the Rusty Alfa Society"
43 Alfas at the moment [ I think], I'll be able to tell better when the snow melts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:09 PM

I think this idea has merit... It is one thing when discussions get a bit heated or a post is misunderstood, but when an individual has posted 18 times only, and every time it is to insult someone (not a single post with an advice or suggestion!), I think there is no reason for BB members to have to put up with the insults and the "always looking for a fight" attitude...

Best regards,

Enrique
[SIZE="1"]Spider 74, 84 & 87
Milano 88 Verde
164 91S, 93L & 95Q[/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="1"][I][COLOR="Green"]Member of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club USA[/COLOR][/I][/SIZE]
[B][FONT="Verdana"][RIGHT]DARKSIDE MEMBER[/RIGHT][/FONT][/B]
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Gold Subscriber

the internet is all about context, or lackthereof...

Stephen V
My photo blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Voting Idiots Off the BB....Can We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetalAlfa View Post
A lot of times I am amused by Idiots posting off color-off subject responses. But a lot of times I feel that these people take away from the beauty and integrity of the BB, a resource that I get great enjoyment and support from.
Maybe we should have a "Vote them off" feature?

It might be interesting to debate the various merits and minuses of the BB'er's in question.
Just off hand, I'd say you can vote on anything, it is a free country, after all --- whether the Pacific Ocean is blue? The sun is hot? etc. But without administration and moderators behind you it's kind of "pie in the sky." Unless, the person you're voting off is someone like me that would say, "Fine, I understand, I have nothing to offer any longer;" now, I don't think that would be quite the case with one infamous poster who was removed and look what that took and how long it went on. The other issue is that care will have to be taken that it's not done out of spite or some disagreement between parties that got out of hand.

Guys, rather than vote me off, send me an e-mail. I'll accommodate. But do it quickly before my PM mailbox overflows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 002
the internet is all about context, or lackthereof...
I agree totally; I've done my share of hijacking and going a direction that I thought the post went that it did not based on my illogical logic.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)

Last edited by Pat Braden; 03-15-2007 at 07:48 PM.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 PM

Is there away to have the owner/starter of a thread block someone from replying to it? I've seen a few recent cases where one users gets into a bashing war with someone, basically hijacking a thread, but then in another thread is talking seriously about cars. I think it would be a negative thing to start banning people from the forum just because they don't get along with most people. I think if it was possible per thread then the problem could be headed off without drastic action

84 GTV6 - 3.0L, headers, Sport Rear springs, Bilstien Shocks, LSD
74 GTV
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Voting Idiots Off the BB....Can We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsiopener View Post
Is there away to have the owner/starter of a thread block someone from replying to it? I've seen a few recent cases where one users gets into a bashing war with someone, basically hijacking a thread, but then in another thread is talking seriously about cars. I think it would be a negative thing to start banning people from the forum just because they don't get along with most people. I think if it was possible per thread then the problem could be headed off without drastic action
I don't think so, but I don't know how to use all the bells and whistles on the board. I can't even use some of the provided ones the right way, for example, the multi-quote feature, I hand key the code that makes them appear because I can't get it to work otherwise.

If you use the "ignore" button -- that ignores everything the person posts on every thread.

Maybe, some of the guys that know more about it will respond, Simon? Enrique? Ruedi? etc.

Cheryl
(Not an authority nor SME on anything, just PATSYF)
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Gold Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsiopener View Post
Wow, reminds me of a BMW forum that I frequent... The guy is super sharp, knows a lot about BMWs, but is so people unfriendly that he has been banned on several different forums and is constantly put into "timeout" as its called on the one he hasn't been banned in. All he needs to do (which he has been doing recently) is stop insulting people because they're stupid. What he has been doing as of late is simply telling people what they are doing wrong rather than telling people what they are doing wrong immediately after insulting them.
Oh yes, I agree that the two-facedness adds, um, spice to the forum and thus they should not be banned...

Stephen V
My photo blog:

My Instagram:
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:16 AM

Great suggestion Bob, I like that idea. The Alfa community isn't the world's largest, it might not be prudent to be banning people. Maybe they're not contributing clutch information at every turn, but who knows what the future holds?

Perhaps there's a way to link your 'Ignored List' with who has permission to post in a thread you've created? Thus if 'bobsiopener' blocked "Echo Leader", I wouldn't be allowed to contribute in a thread posted by Bob.....perhaps it could even extend to disallowing me from posting a 'Reply' to one of Bobs posts in a thread not created by Bob. Though the 'Quick Reply' probably couldn't be stopped.....

James
1984 GTV6
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 AM

I'm sure I would be banned by now. I have a low tolerance for idiots and tend to let it be known. I do try to add some form of humor to my posts but most people seem to miss the sarcasm that is so cleverly wound into the thread.

The way the board is set up someone can be "banned" and then sign back up under a different name anyway. Besides, there really is a very small number of people and they usually go away anyway, eventually. Based on the number of hits on those few threads where the trash talk is going on it seems a lot of people enjoy the occasional confrontation.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:42 AM
USTA BE AN AD-MIN
Platinum SubscriberAdministrator

Garage
I am against this. This forum is not an invitation only forum. It's open to all. If you don't like what someone is posting, you can add to their reputation and leave a comment. That's done by clicking on the small icon that looks like a set of scales. Postings to someone's reputation are anonymous.

Brian __________________________________

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Gold Subscriber

I totally agree with Ossodiseppia. In addition, the logistics of trying to determine how to vote someone off the BB would be a night mare. And has been pointed out, someone who has been banned can easily return using a different name.

Bob Cess
'59 Giulietta Sprint
'60 Giulietta Berlina
'62 Giulietta Spider
'69 Spider Veloce
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 AM

As I have met the starter of this thread on a number of occasions, I think this suggestion is ironic. I propose we start banning people for not educating themselves about the marque before posting on forums about said marque. I'm not trying to get "banned" for saying this, but it's more frustrating to me when the search function isn't taken advantage of than it is when someone gets called to the table for asking stupid questions or making ridiculous comments. There, I just hijacked this thread AND made a remark about the poster...ban me.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:41 AM

The timeout idea works well on other forums. There is no voting involved (on the forums that I refer to). The mods just sin-bin the idiots for a fixed # of days.

Thing is, this increases the amt of admin needed. Which could translate to $ cost for Simon.

Hey - I think I have the solution: pay Simon to ban whomever you want banned. See, it would work just like the real world then! Those that have the money, get what they want. I like it.

'85 GTV6
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:43 AM

Just my humble opinion- I'm against banning anyone- this is an open forum. That being said, if insulted or offended, take the high road and ignore the offending party rather than getting in to an unproductive war of words in a public forum. If someone is totally obnoxious in every post, and no one responds to the offending party, I would thing they'd eventually try to get a rise or pick a verbal fight somewhere else. I learn a LOT from some very knowledgeable people on this board, and I'd hate to see anyone banned or voted off because of a personal grudge, or even a group consensus based on a thread or two gone amok. Even idiots like me can contribute something of worth occasionally!

Dan Walker
'67 Duetto
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-16-2007, 06:54 AM
alfa of-corse

banning a person only requires that several dozen members have that person's email address, and that those members are willing to contact that person with several "reminder's" when ever the "non"member posts (try 30 in 24 hrs.). The non member will then need to change profile settings to remain invisible, as having the user name show at the bottom as logged on will give the "voters" a chance to "remind" the "non" member of their new status, system works quite well, both for blocking that "non" members participation in the BB community, but also within the larger Alfa community. Works equally well for indivuduals and business's.

The MB and Maserati forums, (sorry but there are cars other than Alfa's) will ban members for using PM's or E-mails for the purposes that the BB voter's used them, odd huh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Alfa Romeo Bulletin Board & Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode